Hotmail POP3 Password Authentication Failed

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Phasar

Hotmail POP3 Password Authentication Failed

Post by Phasar »

My settings are as follows, taken from the Hotmail site, and from here.

* Type: POP
* Server Name: pop3.live.com
* User Name: Your FULL email address
* Port: 995
* Use secure connection: SSL
* Use secure authentication: leave unchecked
* Server Name: smtp.live.com
* Port: 587
* Use name and password: Check it
* Username: Your FULL email address
* Use secure connection: TLS

When I try to connect I get

Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop3.live.com responded; authentication failed.

I was using the webmail extension. When I launched Thunderbird (2.0.0.23) tonight I got notification of all the webmail extension being updated and available for download. That's when the trouble began.

After I undated I kept getting a script error. It was my "Get All Mail" button, I think. when I said to continue, I just kept geting the script error popup. when I said to stop the script, the "Get All Mail" button wasn't in my taskbar. I uninstalled and reinstalled it, and it reapeared again. In the mean time, all my hotmail accounts stopped working. I was not having any problems with any of the webmail extensions up until I did the update.

So, I tried setting up TBird with hotmail as POP3, instead of the webmail extension (which I deleted)

I can sign into my acocunts using Firefox, but I get the above error when I try to use TBird.

Anyone have any ideas? Any posts I can find here are mostly from 2008

TIA
Frank
DanRaisch

Re: Hotmail POP3 Password Authentication Failed

Post by DanRaisch »

Can you access that account if you start Thunderbird in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Phasar

Post by Phasar »

No, I get the same problem
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Double check the email address entered for "user name". It may help to manually retype.

If that doesn't solve it, try selecting "Use secure authentication" in the server settings dialog.
phasar

Post by phasar »

nope. didn't help

and when i set it to "Use secure authentication" i get a server does not support message

Is there somewhere in hotmail i have to turn on POP3? I went through every page, and their help system and couldn't find a setting
sharan

Post by sharan »

hey everybody,

i have the same problem, but wif googlemail... i used to collect the emails of hotmail in googlemail... but this error came out, when i set it up for hotmail...

thank u
phasar

Post by phasar »

bump
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

phasar,
"Use secure authentication" in the POP settings area is NOT used nor supported by Hotmail. They do support a secure connection of SSL, different settings.

They also do support secure authentication on SENDING which, in Thunderbird, is "Use name and Password" in the SMTP settings.
Phasar

Post by Phasar »

Never mind the lecture

I did what DanRaisch told me to do.

It still doesn't fix the problem.
Rvrlady Pat

Post by Rvrlady Pat »

My issue is similar to the first message in this thread, in that when I try to get Hotmail through Tbird I get the following message
An error occurred with the POP3 mail server. Mail server POP3.live.com responded:

but there is no error message to be seen. I have checked and double checked the settings and they are what you and Hotmail have specified. Now what???
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Rvrlady Pat, you don't have the same problem as phasar. Note that the error message he reported did specific an issue, Authentication.
Please start a new topic so that we can all avoid confusion in this one.
phasar

Post by phasar »

In the mean time, does anyone yet have an answer as to why TBird can't connect on POP3 to Hotmail.

Looking at the hotmail (Windows live) help forums, there are a ton of posters with the same problem
Phasar

Post by Phasar »

so... nobody has an answer?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You come back with a nasty comment and you then expect us volunteers to keep helping you?
Phasar

Post by Phasar »

Try posting some relevant and you won't get a nasty comment

I did what another moderator told me to do, and you came back with a lecture about why it Won't work. I already knew it won't work.

If you can't post something helpful or relevant to the problem, then why are you here?