New Mozilla.org Website Beta

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
bdeonline

Post by bdeonline »

I think if this is going to be the new look of mozilla.org that update.mozilla.org should have a simular look so not to confuse users into thinking this isn't from mozilla.org because it doesn't look like the same site.
aldo

Post by aldo »

I agree.

What is planned for update.mozilla.org - is it going to be updated, because atm it sticks out like a sore thumb and is incredibly fugly :)
prawnFresh

Post by prawnFresh »

Greg K Nicholson wrote:
prawnFresh wrote:Also with the main page,
website-beta.mozilla.org wrote:NOTE: This home page on the website beta has not been updated for the new design yet. It will be upated soon. More info about the beta is available in this weblog post, and feedback/bugs/issues can be posted on this MozillaZine thread.

I noted this, but thought I'd better bring forth my opinions just in case the new version didn't take them into account, if the suggestions were accepted.

I could have waited ... but I was impatient :)
Mukanil

beta site

Post by Mukanil »

On the front page and using IE6, the format looks odd. There is a huge gap between the last entry under "The Latest from Mozilla" (Mozilla 1.7/1.71) and the header "Technology Preview." So much so that someone will never see the Technology Preview section unless scrolling down for another reason.

Also, still on the front page but probably just an IE bug, if I start to highlight either section (Latest... or Technology...) and try to make the highlighting reach the other section through scrolling, the page will stop scrolling when reaching the end of the section and not move beyond that point. Using the shift key to highlight from section to section still works though. However, there is no gap and no problem highlighting between the Technology Previews section and the Other Available Products section.

Overall, I like the basic changes made in the beta. It looks sharp.
Stefan

Re: beta site

Post by Stefan »

Mukanil wrote:On the front page...

Also, still on the front page...

ROTFL!
It's amazing how many people manage to have opionions while failing to actually read the page :P
semoser

Post by semoser »

@Mukanil
read the advice on the home page: the home page hasn't been updated yet, there's just a new template so far. look at the new products-site if you want to see something really new ;)
Greg K Nicholson

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

On the About Mozilla page, try clicking The future of the browser. Same applies to the current live page.
paladin252

Post by paladin252 »

i love the new site! looks very nice. im a sucker for blue...
speedogoo

i hate this new design, just as i hate the old one

Post by speedogoo »

i don't know why you still design the homepage like this. i love mozilla so much and has put its homepage on my bookmark toolbar and visit it every day. but each time i see the same words and just go away. the page is simply filled with a what's current list, and what's new is only viewable with a pagedown and they are not new enough. so i really don't believe other people will visit it often. it's completely not the feeling of visiting slashdot where new contents are out every minute.
so please make it change, make it latest, and make it a place that i can stayfor some minutes.
Lost User 65523

test in non-gecko browsers for quirks

Post by Lost User 65523 »

current CSS on non-gecko browsers (eg: opera 7.x - my usual browser of choice) is pretty dodgy. could definitely do with a bit of cross-browser testing, or all those people wandering over looking to convert will think "hmm, if the website doesn't work, what must the web *browser* be like" :)

(i just finally convinced my parents to move from IE to FireFox for security reasons, and they are incredibly sensitive about things like this!)
omstedall

Post by omstedall »

Just to let you know that I am still working on the Firefox Features page as promised in my previous post. It's coming along nicely but I have been very busy at work so not much time to concentrate on this. Will hopefully have something to show you by the end of the weekend. Also, I have been slowly tweaking the 'Why Choose Firefox?' bullets on page 8 so have a look and see if you have any feedback.

In the end I have opted for adapting Ben's 'Why Choose Firefox?' article to match the structure of the new bullets. I will post the finished article here when I'm done.

Oliver
semoser

Post by semoser »

could it be possible that on internet explorer, the width isn't fixed any longer? i don't know if that behaviour is spezial to my computer, i don't really believe in that.

another minor issue: the mozilla-logo in the heather is very nice, but it's to high, so if you click above, you will get to the front page, but if you click below, you won't. sorry for the bad description, but my english isn't good enough ;)
Last edited by semoser on August 27th, 2004, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg K Nicholson

Re: i hate this new design, just as i hate the old one

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

speedogoo wrote:i don't know why you still design the homepage like this.
Because it hasn't been redesigned yet.
daragh

quick impression

Post by daragh »

Hi - I prefer the way information is clearly delineated in the OLD site (by using background colors for areas/headings) - thanks for the opportunity to sound off. (I was notified via researchbuzz.com / actsofvolition.com)
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

http://website-beta.mozilla.org/products/
The link to Firefox has the slogan "The Browser Reloaded"... following the link shows the slogan
"rediscover the web"... IMO, the link on the product needs to be changed to reflect this. "Rediscover the web" is a much stronger slogan than "the browser reloaded", since reloading means nothing in this context, and sounds somewhat tacky.

http://website-beta.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
"Packed with Features" immediately followed by "Unlimited features" is bad. Maybe a good replacement word for either would be "functionality", which isn't used on that page.

http://www.mozillastore.com/
There is no obvious way to get back to the homepage. Not sure if this is within the scope of this website implementation, but it's the only link that doesn't leave the consistent menu-bar at the top for navigation to different mozilla.org areas.