firefox should not ask for master password at launch

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
rouble

firefox should not ask for master password at launch

Post by rouble »

Firefox asks for the master password when it launches. That sounds pretty intuitive and logical... except, what if for a particular browsing session I do not visit any sites that will require Firefox to access my stored passwords? I think this just spoils the user experience.

Here is the particular use case I have in mind: My friend uses my computer to just check the weather or something. I don't think Firefox should spoil his browsing experience with a nagging 'please enter the master password for the software security device' pop up.

A smarter thing for Firefox to do would be to ask for master password only when it goes to a site where it has a password stored. I believe this will improve the user experience of people who set up master passwords.

tia,
rouble
Gingerbread Man

Re: firefox should not ask for master password at launch

Post by Gingerbread Man »

rouble wrote:ask for master password only when it goes to a site where it has a password stored.

That's how it works for me. I only have to deal with being prompted for the master password when autofill is disabled, once for each password field ](*,)

Are you sure you're not loading pages at startup that have password fields on them?
rouble

Post by rouble »

Even when I open firefox with no pages, just a blank tab I get prompted for my master password (after some amount of time interval). I am running Firefox 3.5.3 and this behavior is consistent on OS X (10.6) and Windows XP.
rouble

Post by rouble »

After some investigation, it seems that the xmarks extension (formerly known as foxmarks) causes this to happen. I will follow up with the xmarks development team.