Cookie Whitelist Feature

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox

Would you use a "Cookie Whitelist" feature, or do you prefer the existing method of explicitly denying each cookie site?

Cookie Whitelist
56%
Explicit Domain Blocking
12%
I don't care
30%
Some other method
2%

Total votes: 43

hackel

Cookie Whitelist Feature

Post by hackel »

I've mentioned this before, but just wanted to reiterate that this is my #1 most desired feature! There's nothing I hate more than having to manually click "no" for each new domain that wants to set a cookie on my computer. Instead, blocking all cookies and having an icon in the corner to click on that lets me selectively accept cookies from sites I choose is the way to go. It works great for popups--I hope to see this implemented soon!
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

This poll is missing the "I don't care about this feature" option.
asa

Post by asa »

Jesse wrote:This poll is missing the "I don't care about this feature" option.

Fixed.
--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

asa wrote:
Jesse wrote:This poll is missing the "I don't care about this feature" option.

Fixed.
--Asa

LOL. There ya go. Personally, I want a Whitelist, Blacklist, and Undecided List. I suggested this for Mozilla, but I don't remember what the result really was. There is one for IE <a href="http://home.nordnet.fr/~pmdevigne/CookiesManager_e.html">here</a> but I'd love to see this in Mozilla/Phoenix.
flii

Post by flii »

did you go to tools -> preferences -> privacy -> manage cookies [button]? you can do some blocking there already, though not in the kind of detail you described. however, you *can* block cookies you specify, so your implied "phoenix doesn't have this feature" is not correct.
Ted Mielczarek

Whitelist

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

It would make sense to implement this in the same way as popup blocking. Have the option to deny all cookies by default, but have a little icon notifying you when a cookie is set. Click on it to whitelist the cookie. Nice, simple interface, not annoying.
emvious

Re: Whitelist

Post by emvious »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:It would make sense to implement this in the same way as popup blocking. Have the option to deny all cookies by default, but have a little icon notifying you when a cookie is set. Click on it to whitelist the cookie. Nice, simple interface, not annoying.

You mean just like IE6? (I keep mentioning this, hoping someone will take the hint. :P)
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

emvious wrote:You mean just like IE6? (I keep mentioning this, hoping someone will take the hint. :P)

What hint?
That IE6 has 1 good feature missing in a 2 months old browser?

If you havn't noticed most of the Preference UI is pretty banged up in Phoenix (disorganazied as well as loads of stuff missing), becuse the devs havn't really gotten to that part yet.

By the time Phoenix reaches 6.0 I'm sure that will be fixed though ;)
emvious

Post by emvious »

Stefan wrote:What hint?

Isn't Phoenix also missing that feature that allows a web site to reformat your hard drive? :)

I think this is more of a trunk issue than a Phoenix issue. In my opinion, this feature is important enough that it shouldn't take 19 months (and counting) to address (RFE 75915 was opened in April 2001). I've been watching this RFE for months, hoping it would be implemented, and it keeps getting pushed back to later milestones.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the work done on Mozilla and Phoenix, and if I had more time, I'd try to help more (maybe even implement this myself). It just seems like a feature that a lot of people are interested in, and it is what is prevent me from dumping IE for all my browsing. I really want to dump IE!
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

emvious wrote:
Stefan wrote:What hint?

Isn't Phoenix also missing that feature that allows a web site to reformat your hard drive? :)

I think this is more of a trunk issue than a Phoenix issue. In my opinion, this feature is important enough that it shouldn't take 19 months (and counting) to address (RFE 75915 was opened in April 2001). I've been watching this RFE for months, hoping it would be implemented, and it keeps getting pushed back to later milestones.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the work done on Mozilla and Phoenix, and if I had more time, I'd try to help more (maybe even implement this myself). It just seems like a feature that a lot of people are interested in, and it is what is prevent me from dumping IE for all my browsing. I really want to dump IE!

Well, at least it is targetted. It's also a blocker for 3 other bugs. Everyone should go vote/code!
hackel

Post by hackel »

Flii wrote:did you go to tools -> preferences -> privacy -> manage cookies [button]? you can do some blocking there already, though not in the kind of detail you described. however, you *can* block cookies you specify, so your implied "phoenix doesn't have this feature" is not correct.

You didn't read the message. We obviously know that cookie blacklisting (disallowing specific sites) exists. We want to block all but known sites, in addition to using Phoenix's awesome popup-blocking interface to review which cookies a website attempted to set.

IE6 does something like this? Well, good for them. I did not know that...suppose since I haven't used IE since the 5.x days...hehe
hackel

Post by hackel »

emvious wrote:I think this is more of a trunk issue than a Phoenix issue. In my opinion, this feature is important enough that it shouldn't take 19 months (and counting) to address (RFE 75915 was opened in April 2001). I've been watching this RFE for months, hoping it would be implemented, and it keeps getting pushed back to later milestones.

Should this be a trunk issue? Mozilla doesn't have a popup whitelist either, does it? Phoenix had to do that. In any case, the RFE certainly gets my vote. :)
flii

Post by flii »

hackel wrote:You didn't read the message.

you didn't read *mine*.

Flii wrote:you can do <b>some</b> blocking there already, <b>though not in the kind of detail you described</b>.
lar3ry

Re: Cookie Whitelist Feature

Post by lar3ry »

hackel wrote:I've mentioned this before, but just wanted to reiterate that this is my #1 most desired feature! There's nothing I hate more than having to manually click "no" for each new domain that wants to set a cookie on my computer. Instead, blocking all cookies and having an icon in the corner to click on that lets me selectively accept cookies from sites I choose is the way to go. It works great for popups--I hope to see this implemented soon!

Have you looked into http://www.guidescope.com? It's one of the best solutions that I have found. Provides a GUI to allow you to select/deselect domains that want to send cookies, denying everybody by default. There are some limitations (eg, cannot detect EVERY cookie, like ones set by javascripts), but it works pretty well for me.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" - A. Carlson
hackel

Post by hackel »

Flii wrote:you didn't read *mine*.

This isn't a matter of level of detail, we are talking about completely different things. I am specifically talking about accepting cookies on a per-domain bases. Phoenix/mozilla doesn't have any manner of this functionality an any "level of detail". It supports only denying all cookies, and explicit domain blocking. Therefore, my implied "phoenix doesn't have this feature" is -completely- correct, it has nothing resembling this feature.