Mozilla.org Website Beta Final Call

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
sgarrity

Mozilla.org Website Beta Final Call

Post by sgarrity »

There has been <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=734601">lots of helpful feedback</a> to our <a href="http://www.actsofvolition.com/archives/2004/august/newmozillaorg">public beta of the new Mozilla.org website</a>.

We've fixed many of the issues that arose during the beta and we're aiming to launch the new site tomorrow evening (Tuesday, Aug 31). This is a final call for critical issues before we launch. Feedback can be posted here on this thread. Thanks!
strip_tm

Post by strip_tm »

I like very much the design, clear and amazing, but there's one thing that surprises me: in order to download a non-english build, you have to click three times and it's supposed that english is _not_ spoken at this side. What do you think of this?
larrybpsu

Post by larrybpsu »

Great job Steven! I really like the changing screen captures....that adds a lot of character! Hats off to a job well done.
FireRabbit

Post by FireRabbit »

The new layout is great, congrads!

I have one comment, I think that the majority of people visiting mozilla.org are not going to care about PlanetMozilla, MozillaZine, or Mozilla.org news.

Perhaps those three items should be somehow made more obviously less important than the links above them (smaller font size, background colors, etc.).

Other than that, it would never hurt to add screenshots for all the different Firefox features (tabs, popup blocking, etc), if its possible to implement that without adding too much clutter.

Just some thoughts.
Simplex

Post by Simplex »

The link to download firefox 0.9.3 on the front page goes to 0.9.2.
carey

Post by carey »

Following on from FireRabbit’s comment, when I first loaded the page it looked like the vertical pairs of tiles “Get Thunderbird” and “Mozilla.org”, etc., were more closely related than the three tiles in each row. Maybe another horizontal rule between the rows or smaller headlines would help.

Apart from that, great work!
martind

Post by martind »

The main and product pages don't have links to real-size screenshots, which is the first thing I look for when evaluating a desktop application. Not critical but worth a note.
Dizzle

Post by Dizzle »

Excellent!
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Everything looks great!

One minor thing I noticed while looking through is that at the bottom of the Site Map page there is this:
Last modified %%LAST_UPDATED%%

Every other page that I have looked has the actual date.

Edit: The entire site map page has problems with links and what I'm guessing are variables. The menubar at the top doesn't work. All the links look like this: http://website-beta.mozilla.org/%%DIR_DEPTH%%products/
m0053

Post by m0053 »

I recommend putting more about what mozilla acutally is on the main page, and making it look less like an add. If I didn't know any better, I might think this was spyware.

You might want to mention that mozilla is a free, open-source browser.
Smigit

Post by Smigit »

Ghost wrote:Edit: The entire site map page has problems with links and what I'm guessing at variables. The menubar at the top doesn't work. All the links look like this: http://website-beta.mozilla.org/%%DIR_DEPTH%%products/
yeah i reported that lasttime in the readbacl to the announce.

The sitemap page seems to be the 1 that needs work, but besides that its all good.
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

Not a critical issue, but quite a few of the links on the home page are missing trailing slashes, which results in the browser requesting the URL without the slash and then the server redirecting to the correct URL with the slash. Just makes things a little slower (more noticably for people with slow connections).

Also, if planet.mozilla.org is going to be on the front page, it could use some tidying up - lots of the posts up there are nothing to do with Mozilla. Even if they are Mozilla related, does mozilla.org really want the personal views of a whole bunch of people showing up on the home page? What happens if someone is having a bad day and makes a "fuck Mozilla" blog post?
d00gs

Post by d00gs »

I love the new design. It's amazing. But I have two minor issues with it, neither of which are especially important or occur in IE6.

Don't know if it's been said; if so, sorry. But check out <a href="http://math.sunysb.edu/~dougal/screens/mozbeta-weird-lines.png">this screenshot</a>. (The red circle, obviously, is mine).

I'm using <code>Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040828 Firefox/0.9.1+ (moox)</code>. The lines are persistent through text resizing and reloads.

Another, unrelated issue: I have <code>a[href]:hover { text-decoration: underline !important; }</code> in my <code>userContent.css</code>. When I mouseover the screenshot on the main page...well, <a href="http://math.sunysb.edu/~dougal/screens/mozbeta-hover-line.png">see for yourself</a>.

Neither occurs in IE6, though, which is the most important thing.
The sooner you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up.
thetenken

Different styles for Bugzilla and Sunbird

Post by thetenken »

I was wondering why the design for the Bugzilla and Sunbird pages are different from those of Firefox, Thunderbird, Mozilla, and Camino. Is it because those are still more "developer" products rather than end-user products? I also think maybe an "international" link off the front-page would be good for those international users not used to English. They could select the products and their native language editions from that list. Maybe just a small banner with different flags and text "International."

Also, the link from the Firefox page to "Other Systems and Languages" doesn't have any listings for different languages (no link to MLP). The Thunderbird page at least provides a link to the MLP (even though it says there are no localized editions yet).
runab0ut

Post by runab0ut »

I love the front page... much cleaner and clearer. And all (relevant) sites and updates are seen upfront.

Problem with WinIE6: