The Official Win32 20040901 [Br/Tr] builds are out.

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
crafteh

Post by crafteh »

Our extension (WeatherFox) doesn't get its javascript component registered. The other developer filed bug 257681.
whorfin

Post by whorfin »

OK, so how do I do a manual install of extensions and themes, until they're updated to get around the version level nanny?
Lighten up, Francis
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

This is for manually uninstalling extensions and themes but just do opopsite for installing them. know i dont know how to change the maxversion numbers though.

1) You will need to know the ID of the Theme/Extension you need to delete. It is a unique ID. To find out which is which, you will need to goto userProfile/Extensions directory.
It will look like this... {9f08cb5a-76b1-4bcf-aff9-90e1a5d60b1e} (In this example I use the Noia 2.0 eXtreme id)
Double click into that directory and look into the chrome directory. You will find .JAR file name of the Theme you installed. If it's the one you want to delete then delete the whole {9f08cb5a-76b1-4bcf-aff9-90e1a5d60b1e} directory (make sure you close Firefox before delete it).

2) Look into the Extensions.rdf file. Open it up with wordpad. Delete these lines...
CODE
<RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mozilla:theme:{9f08cb5a-76b1-4bcf-aff9-90e1a5d60b1e}"
em:version="2.74"
em:name="Noia 2.0 (eXtreme)"
em:description="Thanks to Carlitus for the wonderful icon set and Aaron for the base file."
em:creator="Kongkeat Kuatrakull"
em:homepageURL="http://kasteo.deviantart.com/"
em:internalName="Noia2f"
em:contributor="Noia icons by Carlitus">
<em:targetApplication RDF:resource="rdf:#$R6LPc2"/>
</RDF:Description>
<RDF:Seq RDF:about="urn:mozilla:theme:root">
<RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:mozilla:theme:{9f08cb5a-76b1-4bcf-aff9-90e1a5d60b1e}"/>
</RDF:Seq>

Code should start with the id of the Theme you need to delete and end with the same id. If you not sure, you can make a backup of the Extensions.rdf file before try to delete them.
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

It appears that pretty much any extension that has components in the extension's components directory is broken by this build and enabling or setting the maxVersion to .10 will not fix the extension. Putting the extension's components in the application's components directory, deleting the profile directory's compreg.dat and xpti.dat, and restarting Firefox is a workaround for this issue. The extensions that I have that this affects are WeatherFox, FoxyTunes, and the Venkman service for the JS Debugger.

Note: though DeepestSender has the composer.xpt in the extension's components directory it isn't affected with the zip builds (possibly the installer builds as well but I can't confirm since I don't use them) since the composer.xpt was added back to the app's components directory.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

vertigo451 wrote:
mrtech wrote:ARG, dynamic theme switch has been disabled in latest aviary branch, you have to restart to use diff theme, this was working so well though, I guess there were some other issues. Does anyone know if this will this be re-enabled?

Some themes had issues with dynamic switching (see Bug 226791), so the devs decided to remove it for 1.0 Final. The feature is still in the trunk and will probably be looked at again.

Good god, I sure hope they re-add them, I've added a comment to the bug, but it would be great if they could make dynamic switching optional, oh well.
TheDormouse

Post by TheDormouse »

To everyone freaking out about extensions:

Keep your profile and install the new build. You'll get a message that many of your extensions are incompatible with this Firefox version. Stay calm. Open the extension manager, right-click on any grayed-out extensions and hit enable.

That should make the majority of your extensions work again. It made Chatzilla, Hotmail Tabs, Web Developer, and Adblock all work for me!
-=Cyrus=-

Post by -=Cyrus=- »

Apart from bug fixes what has been added / changed e.g. features etc? as I am waiting till 1.0PR is out.

Thanks
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

That does indeed re-enable any extension and is easier than repackaging with a new maxVersion. It won't fix extensions that t use components in the extension's components directory
Gert-Paul

Post by Gert-Paul »

mrtech wrote:Good god, I sure hope they re-add them, I've added a comment to the bug, but it would be great if they could make dynamic switching optional, oh well.

See #256930 - set extensions.dss.enabled to true and you can use it again.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Excellent, thanks that WFM!!
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
ieremiou

Post by ieremiou »

About Dynamic Theme Switching... Reading Bug 257304

>+pref("extensions.dss.enabled", false); // Dynamic Skin Switching
>+pref("extensions.dss.switchPending", false); // Non-dynamic switch pending after next
>+ // restart.

Turn off dynamic skin switching.

>Index: toolkit/mozapps/extensions/content/extensions.js
>+const PREF_EXTENSIONS_DSS_ENABLED = "extensions.dss.enabled";
>+const PREF_EXTENSIONS_DSS_SWITCHPENDING = "extensions.dss.switchPending";

Dynamic Skin Switching enabling/disabling and state tracking prefs.
Apparently there should be prefs in about:config?
I haven't gotten a latest avairy optimized build yet to check this.

EDIT: Yep it's there in the about:config prefs section... Just enable extensions.dss.enabled to true and it will do it dynamically.
Another thing is to edit your themes maxversion to 0.10.0+ in the install.rdf if it hasn't already been done. I had to do that with Noia 2.0 eXtreme 2.74 and it seemed to cross over just fine.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20050922 Firefox/1.6a1 - Build ID: 2005092210
Greg K Nicholson

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

Shouldn't new nightlies be in a -0.10 directory instead of -0.9?
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

they're still in 0.9, we'll see tomorrow
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

Zaagmans wrote:Hmmm... this is weird.
I deinstalled my previous FireFox version and even deleted the Application Data/Mozilla folder to startup a brand new firefox.

But when I install firefox I get the following error at the end of the installation:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040901 Firefox/1.0 PR (NOT FINAL)

This is because the talkback server was down when this build was created. hopefully they will have it back running before tomorrow's nightly build. As other posters mentioned this happens with tinderbox builds, but that is not the case here. This is the official nightly and should have talkback included.
Jadugar

Post by Jadugar »

Ok, I just wanted to check. I'm having trouble viewing any movie clips online with firefox lately. This latest version is no different. I was under the impression that viewing movie clips is currently broken. I just figured since we seem to be gearing up for the 1.0 PR release whether if anyone can actually view movies with firefox on these latest builds?

So far, every build I install, I install from scratch (clean profile, clean directory etc etc). Only things I copy over are the plugins folder, select files from profile folder (bookmarks.html, user.js, signons.txt, key3.db, formhistory.dat).