Sent folder sync (googlemail)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Arthur1950

Sent folder sync (googlemail)

Post by Arthur1950 »

Having successfuly created a googlemail account (thanks for your advice last month), I am enjoying using my new googlemail account throughThunderbird.

However one thing is bugging me. I am very happy that whenever I send an email from thunderbird, it automatically saves it in the "sent" folders of both Thunderbird and googlemail. When however I am away from my own computer, and send an email from googlemail, when I return home it won't download the sent email to my "sent" folder in thunderbird.

Can anybody help please? Is there a way of enabling this?

Thank you very much,

Arthur
DanRaisch

Re: Sent folder sync (googlemail)

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you set up that account in Thunderbird as a POP or IMAP type account?
Arthur1950

Post by Arthur1950 »

Hello DanRaisch.

I don't think I told it either way, I just selected "googlemail" from the options straight after the "add new account".

Having checked the settings though, I see it's using POP.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

If you selected the automated GoogleMail setup, then it used POP3. Thunderbird 2.0.0.x came out before GMail (GoogleMail) started offering IMAP. Thunderbird version 3.0 is supposed to have an automated setup for GMail IMAP when it's released. At this time, to use IMAP, which would be best for what you want, you can set it up manually. See this: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=77662 Where is says GMail in the server names, you would use googlemail. Otherwise it's all the same.
Arthur1950

Post by Arthur1950 »

Daifne,

Thank you very much for your solution. I can now enjoy using Thunderbird with my googlemail account! I am very grateful.

Thank you all for your wonderful help.

Best wishes,

Arthur
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You're very welcome.
Arthur1950

Post by Arthur1950 »

Hello again.

Oh dear; I'm terribly sorry to bring up an 'old' thread, but I have a query or two if I may please?

Having set up my googlemail account with Thunderbird as an IMAP account (thanks again to DanRaisch and Daifne) I was enjoying using Thunderbird with googlemail. I then realised that I couldn't see my messages whilst I was offline. After a little more research and 'googling', I came to realise that IMAP was for 'live viewing' if you will, and POP was for the downloading of messages (well sort of anyway).

My problem was that I wanted the whole account to sync, and download anything new from all folders (including sent) so that I could view them offline. I also went into the offline and disk space menu and checked all the boxes to download from all folders etc etc, and requested the download several times, but still found that I could't view sertain folders when I actually was offline.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, or am I being silly in assuming that one can have a webmail account and simply sync all folders in Thunderbird for offline viewing? I seem to remember that Windows Live Mail would automatically sync everything with Hotmail, but I understand fully that the two were designed for each other. I didn't want to keep using Microsoft mail and email client though, and wanted the freedom of Thunderbird.

Please forgive my stupidity. I still think Thunderbird is a wonderful program, and am absolutely dedicated to supporting it (and other open source software), and most certainly shan't give up on it.

Arthur
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Arthur, what folders are you not able to access off-line?
Arthur1950

Post by Arthur1950 »

Hello DanRaisch.

I am terribly sorry, but it seems that I possibly made a schoolboy error. I tried again, and all seems to be working very well. Maybe I needed to close Thunderbird and load it up again - that seemed to do the trick anyway.

Please may I ask a simple question (although I understand if not equally simple to answer)?

Using googlemail as an IMAP as I am, when I select to 'download/synchronize now', does Thunderbird then download all emails from every folder on to my hard disk permanently (or until I delete them), or does it only work for that particular 'session'?

I am apologize again, and thank you for your patience with me.

Arthur
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The messages are downloaded to the hard drive, but neither for that session only nor permanently. Since you have synchronized the systems, when you delete a message on Gmail it will be deleted from Thunderbird. If you want to delete messages from Gmail's folders but retain the message, create sub-folders of Local Folders and copy the messages to those sub-folders before deleting them from the actual Gmail folder.