thunderbird keeps asking for a password

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
happytailzfarm

thunderbird keeps asking for a password

Post by happytailzfarm »

Ok, first off I want you to know that Im 50 years old and compleatly computer illerate<G> So please be patient with me. Ok, All of a sudden Thunderbird keeps asking me to give them a password before I can get or send mail. I dont remember making a password. I have a notebook just for jotting them down but I cant find anything in there for it. I have contacted my server att and they told me that they dont support Firefox as an email clinet. Well they have been for a couple of months now(I just switched over from nomadinter) Anyway please, please if anyone can tell me where to find it or a program that works even if I have to buy that you know is legitimate, it that will find that password I would be greatful. Ok, now where do I start??? Please step by step is very important to me.
Thanks
Aletha
Daifne

Re: thunderbird keeps asking for a password

Post by Daifne »

First, them telling you they don't "support" Thunderbird or Firefox just means that they can't help you fix it. They don't know the programs.

The passwords that you are being asked for are the ones you set with your email provider when you setup the account. That, only they can help you with. If you have forgotten what they are, you need to contact ATT to reset them. For this, it doesn't matter what programs you are using and if they try to tell you it does, they are very wrong.
happytailzfarm

Post by happytailzfarm »

ok, I will give them another call. I'll keep you updated.
Aletha
KE4AVB

Post by KE4AVB »

I am only a couple behind you.

Give the following a try. It is from the TB knowledge database:

Setting and changing email passwords
From MozillaZine Knowledge Base
This article was written for Thunderbird but also applies to Mozilla Suite / SeaMonkey (though some menu sequences may differ).
Thunderbird doesn't provide a way for a user to enter the POP/IMAP/SMTP servers password when configuring a account. This frequently confuses new users who expect to be able to do that because they did that with their previous email client. Thunderbird will prompt for a password the first time it needs one. When it does that you can check the checkbox to save the password using the password manager if you want Thunderbird to remember the password.

When you change a password using Thunderbird you're merely changing Thunderbirds copy of the password. It has no effect on the real password. You typically have to use a browser and login to webmail to change the password that the mail server expects.

The only way to change a password saved by the password manager is to delete it, get prompted for the new password the next time it needs it, and then tell it again to save that password. You can delete the password using Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Passwords -> View Saved Passwords by selecting the password and then pressing the Remove button.

Eugene

happytailzfarm wrote:Ok, first off I want you to know that Im 50 years old and compleatly computer illerate<G> So please be patient with me. Ok, All of a sudden Thunderbird keeps asking me to give them a password before I can get or send mail. I dont remember making a password. I have a notebook just for jotting them down but I cant find anything in there for it. I have contacted my server att and they told me that they dont support Firefox as an email clinet. Well they have been for a couple of months now(I just switched over from nomadinter) Anyway please, please if anyone can tell me where to find it or a program that works even if I have to buy that you know is legitimate, it that will find that password I would be greatful. Ok, now where do I start??? Please step by step is very important to me.
Thanks
Aletha
Frank Reed

Post by Frank Reed »

PROBLEM-T/B asks me for my "Yahoo mail" password, which I type in and then I check the window for Password Manager to remember it. After doing this, I am able to download my mail via WebMail & WebMail-Yahoo extensions. When I next activate TB, I am again asked to supply the same P/W info, etc. When I checked my Password Manager, the Yahoo password is not stored in it. How do I get Password Manager to received & store my password for Yahoo Mail?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Frank Reed,
Please stay in your own topics rather than hijacking other people's. I know that you have already been directed to post in the topic for the extension. Do so. It's really not polite to post in unrelated topics.
Mark4867

Post by Mark4867 »

Having same problem. Found this on another forum. It worked for me.

To stop Thunderbird from asking for password every time you send an email, do this:
In Thunderbird, click Tools, Account Settings, and in left pane, click "Outgoing Server"
Click Edit.
Under "Security and Authentication" DESELECT "Use name and password"
Click OK and again OK.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Mark4867, that fix will only work if the SMTP server does not require secure authentication. That varies by email provider so while it was helpful to you it is not a universal solution.
ohwell8

Post by ohwell8 »

Worked for me too... thanks Mark4867