How configure AVG anti-virus for Thunderbird?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
redrail

How configure AVG anti-virus for Thunderbird?

Post by redrail »

I installed AVG-anti-virus. I followed the instructions from AVG website http://www.grisoft.com/faq/us_faqtext.php?id=122&sid=20 . Can someone tell me how to configure AVG for different Pop 3 servers. I have two accounts with different pop 3-servers for incomming mail. If I try to ad a second pop 3 server on the server tab it erases the first. Can someone help me with this?
Thanx,
Red
matt me

Post by matt me »

Interesting, I use AVG, but not with Thunderbird.

With Thunderbird, you don't need a virus scanner. It's secure. Attachments can't self-execute like in Outlook. So unless you go carelessly opening dodgy attachments, you're safer in Thunderbird without AVG than you were in Outlook with AVG.

The junk filtering catches viruses too, which is handy, cos they're about half my spam.
Jus

Post by Jus »

Are you using the free version? It should work with the add on.

PS If you have outlook express, get it to configure it and just copy the settings over.
TreoRenegade

Post by TreoRenegade »

I never did figure out how to hook things up with AVG, so I gave up, and moved to (the equally free) Avast instead: http://www.avast.com/

As noted, TB is probably secure (compared with OE) as is. But I didn't know that at the time I switched. In any event, turns out, Avast is easier to configure all the way around, so it's a keeper. If you have any Qs, see their forum board. Like here, lots of helpful folks.
matt me

Post by matt me »

(Currently downloading Avast)

How does it compare to the free edition of AVG, which had a pretty shoddy interface?
fleeb

Post by fleeb »

I found Avast very easy to use.

Pull your e-mails from 127.0.0.1, and use a name like 'myname#mypop.somewhere.net'. Similiarly, to check outbound e-mail, you can use 127.0.0.1 for SMTP, and a name like 'myname#mysmtp.somewhere.net'. When you install Avast, it automatically adjusts your settings for you somehow, and I think it provides an option to adjust for new settings you create, too (although I haven't tried it out).
TreoRenegade

Post by TreoRenegade »

matt me wrote:How does it compare to the free edition of AVG, which had a pretty shoddy interface?

Like most apps, I had to experiment initially to figure out what controlled what. I can't tell you steps to set up your email with avast; I already had 3 POP and 1 IMAP accounts configured from within Thunderbird. Somehow, when avast was installed, it auto-magically pulled in the settings required for it to keep an eye on all the accounts' email.

The interfaces are fine. In fact, you can skin the cockpit-looking one, something I've not yet tried.

One thing did prove irritating. How to explain this?... The blue ball is in the systray. As it scans, about a 2-3 inch horizontal panel arises up from the systray, hovering over it momentarily, showing you exactly which files are being scanned. I liked that initially, but when browsing, it turned into a distraction since everything flowing into the cache was also being noted. To change that behavior, I went to their forum and searched on "online scanner message". I've since forgotten precisely what I did, but it was less than a minute procedure. I do distinctly recall that the seeting I needed to change was hidden away, so I surely needed help making my way to it. Oh-- and you can tell avast what files, or directory branches, to ignore.

So, bottom-line = everything about it seems much more user-friendly than AVG. Plus, I adore the fact that any Qs I can't answer on my own can be handled, and well, via that forum.