can not retreive any POP3 email as of 8-24-04 builds

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
fsr76

can not retreive any POP3 email as of 8-24-04 builds

Post by fsr76 »

I've been downloading all the nightly builds to test them. Since the 8-24-04 build, I can not retreive any of my POP3 email.

I tried removing the Program Files\Thunderbird directory, and renaming my Application Data\Thunderbird directory to Application Data\Thunderbird_old, so that when a new version of Thunderbird starts, it would create a new profile folder.

I then proceeded to set up one of my POP3 accounts, and it wouldn't fetch any email. It sent email, but wouldn't fetch it.

I even tried to remove any entries of the word Thunderbird in the registry.

So my problem right now, is that if I wanted to download and install a fresh copy of a Thunderbird nightly, it won't retreive my POP3 email.

Is there something that I need to remove in the registry from a previous installation?

Running Windows XP Home SP1
AMD Athlon 1500+
512MB

So, right now, I'm stuck using the 08-23-04 build because it is able to retreive my POP3 email. Every build after that does not retreive email on my computer.

ANY IDEAS?

-Fred
adil

Post by adil »

I have had the same problem. The solution to my problem was to mark "Use secure authentication" in the Server settings of the mail accounts.
rsacks

Installing new builds

Post by rsacks »

In future, install a new build in a new directory and keep the old build. That way, if you have trouble with the new builld, it is trivial to go back to the old.
fsr76

Post by fsr76 »

Yup, I've been going back and forth between new builds, and my current stable one that retrieves my email. My POP3 server doesn't require secure authentication, but I'll give it a shot next time I decide to try a new build of Thunderbird.

As well as installing in a new directory, I also copy my Thunderbird profile folder.

oh well....i'll try the next build, and try the recommened solutioin by adil.
tpb

Resolved 'can't download msgs' on my box

Post by tpb »

I had the same problem - after upgrading to 0.7.3/20040803 I could no longer connect to our pop server to download mail.

It turned out that in 'Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Connection' a SOCKS Host proxy was defined. I had unthinkingly defined it soon after installation. It seemed like a good idea ... Our corporate firewall obviously didn't know what to do with the SOCKS stream it was getting and just ignored it. After clearing the SOCKS proxy box in the dialogue everything began to work once again.

Hope this helps.
rworkman

Post by rworkman »

I'll add a bit more to this:
My wife informed me today that she hasn't received any emails since August 24th, and after checking the account through a webmail interface (which showed no less than twenty-five new messages), we determined that something was wrong. Thunderbird appears to be checking for messages and even responds with "No New Messages."

After searching a bit, I found this thread, installed the 20040821 branch build into a separate folder and pointed her shortcuts to it, and that version downloaded all of the messages without a problem.

I don't have any solid evidence to support this, but I think this bug? is dependent upon some external factor as well, likely something related to the POP server. I had not noticed its existence because my wife has one email account through simplecom.net (her ISP prior to our marriage - we still pay for it) while the rest of our accounts are through bellsouth.net - only the simplecom account is affected; both my and her bellsouth accounts work properly.

Also, FWIW, I verified that MSOE does receive the messages, therebly lending support to the idea that this is a Thunderbird problem.

This is a new one for me - I am more than willing to assist in diagnosis of this, but I don't know where to start. Is there something I can use to log the exchanges between TB and the POP servers? Any other ideas?

RW
Last edited by rworkman on September 4th, 2004, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TroyMurray

Post by TroyMurray »

I upgraded to the latest nightly build (9/2/2004) and this problem went away for me.
rworkman

Post by rworkman »

20040904 Branch is still affected here; I created a new user account in WinXP (thereby ensuring a new profile) and wiped the old install directory and all registry entries before reinstalling the zip build. I went through the same process with the installer build and got same results.

TB appears to be "talking" with the POP server, but it always returns a response of "No New Messages." Is there anyone else experiencing this???

EDIT: I'm going to set up an account for my wife in Slackware - she refuses to even try to learn how to use Linux, but at least I can determine whether it's platform-specific or not... I'll post results later...

EDIT: This is not platform specific; I just created a new user account in Slackware Linux, untarred TB into new directory, and set up my wife's email account - it's still telling me that there are "no new messages."

RW
rworkman

Post by rworkman »

There's more information in <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=767298#767298">this thread</a> in the Tech forum. I'm going to file a bug - I'll edit this post when I'm finished.

EDIT: This is <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=258077">BUG #258077</a> now.

RW
Mark Gillespie

Post by Mark Gillespie »

Selected, Use "Secure Authentication", tried, I got a error "Secure Authentication not supported by mail server" (or something like that), then unticked the same option, low and behold, it now works...

Seems it was stuck in a limbo state...
rworkman

Post by rworkman »

I tried that, but I didn't get positive results. However, in the bug report I filed (mentioned above), ch.ey advises a userprefs.js modification that serves as a temporary workaround for me...
RW
bluemango

Post by bluemango »

my £0.02:

ch.ey advises adding the following line to prefs.js to "switch off any attempt to send AUTH and CAPA and just uses plain old USER/PASS authentication in clear text."

Code: Select all

user_pref("mail.server.server?.auth_login", false);

this works for me on mail1.doctors.org.uk
rworkman

Post by rworkman »

Yeah, that's what I was saying - it works for me with that setting added to userprefs.js - I just didn't see the point in typing it out again. If one is too lazy to look at the bug report (which is hyperlinked in an earlier post), then I'm too lazy to post the helpful information here...

I'm afraid this bug is going to be too rare to warrant a fix - I think it only shows up with improper POP3 server configuration, so it's not entirely (if at all) Thunderbird's fault...

RW
kaperc

"no new mail on server" TB version 0.8 (20040913)

Post by kaperc »

bluemango wrote:my £0.02:

ch.ey advises adding the following line to prefs.js to "switch off any attempt to send AUTH and CAPA and just uses plain old USER/PASS authentication in clear text."

Code: Select all

user_pref("mail.server.server?.auth_login", false);

this works for me on mail1.doctors.org.uk

After much searching found this thread and possible solution. However, I would not know js if it hit me in the head. Can someone walk me through making this change to see if it solves my problem, too?

Just upgraded to TB version 0.8 (20040913) and I'm getting the "no new mail on server" message. Cleared out my mail server inbox, and I do have a backup of my working profile from the last version, will that help? This is my first upgrade since starting with FF and TB -- after reading this thread I know how to do it next time (keep working setup intact and install to new dir).

Any help is appreciated.

KC [-o<

9/16/04 -- reinstalled TB 7.2 and everything works fine again.
Last edited by kaperc on September 16th, 2004, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
rworkman

Post by rworkman »

READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!

In this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\********.slt

Right-click the "prefs.js" file and choose "Edit"

Each account has a number (1,2,3,etcetera) - you should be able to figure out which account is which number by reviewing the entries already present in prefs.js; if you have trouble, PM me and I'll assist you...

For the sake of this explanation, we'll pretend that your affected account is #2. You should see several lines beginning with 'user_pref("mail.server.server2..."). Add the line referenced above [ user_pref("mail.server.server2.auth_login", false); ] after the last entry for server 2.

Save the file and your problem should be fixed.

Before you edit prefs.js, copy it to your desktop so that you have a backup copy just in case something goes wrong; in that event, you can recover by simply copying the backup from your desktop back into the original folder.

Make sure Thunderbird is not open when you edit prefs.js.

Good luck,
RW