Playing wav file attachments

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ppetree

Playing wav file attachments

Post by ppetree »

Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 running on Vista with all service packs applied.

This WAS working...

If someone calls my office extension and I dont answer I get an email containing a .wav file as an attachment and the wav file is a copy of the callers voice mail message. This is massively convenient for me, especially when I am traveling as I dont have to call in to check messages, I can just get them when I get my emails.

At one point I could just click on the attachment and Thunderbird would open the wav file using wmplayer. My daughter loaded iTunes on my laptop and it installed all kinds of garbage including a new .wav player. When iTunes was removed, Thunderbird no longer loads wmplayer when I click on the .wav file attachment.

Now I get a box asking me what program i want to use, wmplayer is selected but when I use that it says it can't find the ap and then goes off to the Internet trying to find a program to play the .wav file. What I have to do when Thunderbird prompts me is to choose "Other..." and then go to "Program Files/Windows Media Player/wmplayer.exe" and select the ap that way and it works fine.

I try reassociating the file extension .wav with wmplayer.exe and that has not fixed the problem so their must be a registry setting that Thunderbird is looking for that is off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pete
Rod Whiteley

Re: Playing wav file attachments

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Choose Tools – Options – Attachments – View & Edit Actions... and remove any entry for WAV there, so that Thunderbird uses the Windows default. For more information, see the knowledge base: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Actions_for_a ... file_types
Rod