Print on the context menu

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
limestar

Print on the context menu

Post by limestar »

This issue has been up a few times, and it seems that the firefox devs are rejecting it simply out of the unability to admit that they were wrong to me... I mean most of their arguments seem to be quit odd since "Send Page" was added to the context menu in a heartbeat.

Since we're now not even allowed to want this feature in bugzilla anymore, I figured I'd post this here instead, since here's where we're supposed to be.

Please read: <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=204519">Bug 204519</a>. What do you guys think of this? Why are they doing this?

And, what do people think of the fact that the issue is getting "exiled" from bugzilla in this way?
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Typical.
bangbang023

Post by bangbang023 »

I don't get it either. I think it's ridiculous of them to not include it when so many people want it. I'm actually refusing to donate money until it is added in officially.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

That and the fact that the fix already exists and the code is all ready to go. I'm sure somebody has a hair across their butt and this is their way of getting even with someone else.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Um, I don't know about you, but I can count the number of times I've wanted to print directly from my browser on one hand. If you're not like me, the extension will do the job, if you don't find File > Print convenient enough.

Despite the votes and comments, I refuse to believe that this is anywhere approaching a critical issue. It wouldn't hurt that much to have it on the menu, but it probably wouldn't be amazingly beneficial either.
limestar

Post by limestar »

I've never used Print from the context menu. Nor have I ever used "Send Page" or a number of other things. However, I'm receiving complaints from users that do use it, and that do use it alot. And these users are not the type of people who will go and look for extensions. Since "Send Page" was added in a heart beat, all those "keep the context menu small" arguments are just pure fabrications that cover up something else. If so many people are asking for it, what's the problem with adding it?

File->Print doesn't do the job, btw, since it doesnt work on windows without File.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

I want to print directly from the browser probably 20 times a day.

Hey, if nothing else, this lack of functionality saves me paper!

;-)
SwampFan

Post by SwampFan »

limestar - Thanks for keeping the heat turned on this bug. I would never have dreamed that when I requested this over a year ago that it would become such an issue. To me it is pretty clear - this is a feature that most users want and need, but the devs in their desire to maintain an iron grip over the source refuse to add. It amazes me - seriously.

And if any devs ARE reading this, now is the time to make your feelings known. Why is this such an issue? And when is the last time any of you actually used View Background Image??
bangbang023

Post by bangbang023 »

They claim that only a small percentage of browser users worldwide want this. Well, in that case, any bug with any amount of votes is only a small 10th of a percentage point of users.

I just don't get it. When I print, I usually select the text I want to print, right click, and choose "print". This lack of functionality and overall asshole attitude about it from the dev team is mind boggling to me. They seriously almost seem offended that we are pushing this. I've never even touched "View Background Image" or "Send Link" and yet they keep that stuff in instead of "Print". I just don't get the rationale behind it. Like I said, until it's part of the official code, I will not donate any money to the organization.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Right clicking for printing the page would be easy... right clicking a text or image selection and printing isn't possible as far as I can work out with the current implementation. Maybe the decision to hold off contextual printing was made because of that.

I'm going to use a nasty hack for my Image Toolbar extension, but it'd hardly be acceptable in the core. The print/print preview coding needs a bit of an overhaul IMO.
enceladus

Post by enceladus »

Is File - Print - Selection slightly too hard for some people with one more click than they would would have with a context menu option
Arakrys

Post by Arakrys »

Wow enceclades, i did not know that option!
Thanks!

To those who like this option: this MUST be possible with extensions. Find an extension that does this, find the author and adapting it to do what you want should be fairly easy.
limestar

Post by limestar »

There is an extension that does this, as mentioned in the bug. Now, since it's possible to have extensions do the job, why not make the default context menu empty, and let users add the functions they want by extensions?

Sorry to inform you, but the average user wouldn't dream of going hunting for extensions for something like this, he'd just be bothered by the lack of functionallity. And even for people who'll install extensions, the more extensions they need to get "basic functionality", the less they're going to like it.

And I'd like to repeat for you guys who have failed to notice, that File -> Print -> *WHATEVER* doesn't work in windows without a menu. The only way to currently print those is the keyboard shortcut, which most users have no clue about. Even experienced computer users do not come across this idea, since the keyboard shortcuts usually work for the menu in the window they're working with. So, there's currently just no intuitive way to print a window without a menu bar.
bangbang023

Post by bangbang023 »

The basic fact is this....Firefox wants to bring the average user over. To do this, they need to get those small key functionalities that browsers like IE have. Not only has the team refused to see this, but they have been almost rude about it.
manc39

Post by manc39 »

Does nobody use the print toolbar icon!? That's just one click, even for printing selections, and its there without any extensions installed.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b1) Gecko/20060712 BonEcho/2.0b1