[Ext] Download Manager Tweak 0.8.x

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
elarifr

Re: [Ext] Download Manager Tweak 0.8.x

Post by elarifr »

Hi squashr1979

an option to auto create create an url link with downloaded file in same dir and same name.url even if this is more a feature to ad in the scope of the "save" menu

I don't understand what request 2 was for :-k .

when i save a file / page i like to keep the original url, so i have to open folder and drag/drop the link.
just to explain is other word i would just like to have an option to create a .url link wich will point to the downloaded file/page.
as dmt have the file name, the folder where it is saved and the download link it should be used to make a .url link according to that file.
like if i download/save this file "http://downloads.mozdev.org/dmextension/DownloadManagerTweak_0.8.4.xpi" i would like to create a link "DownloadManagerTweak_0.8.4.xpi.url" pointing to the file on the web
it should be a button to "make link" in dmt.

(it should be better if we could add this as an optional checkbox in the "save/save as" dialog box but this is not not the scope of dmt.)

thanks

elarifr
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

I uploaded 0.8.5 for you guys to try out as a kind of beta, or maybe release candidate (DownloadManagerTweak_0.8.5.xpi). I haven't updated the homepage yet. I need new screen shots, which I won't get around to for the next couple days. If you find any bugs let me know and I'll try to fix them before it gets on the homepage and especially before I put it on addons.mozilla.org.

New Features in 0.8.5:
  • Added additional buttons to the download list, available by user preference.
    ("Remove From List" added to Canceled, Failed, and Completed downloads. Completed downloads also have "Open Folder" if the folder exists and either "Delete File" or "Download" depending on whether the files still exists or has been deleted.)
    (Note: If a file is downloaded inside Firefox, or deleted by the Delete File button, then the buttons that depend on a file or folder existing, both here and the ones in the toolbar, will be up to date. If a file or folder is deleted outside of Firefox then the buttons will not be automatically updated.)
  • Created new button icons so that old and new buttons have a matching look.
  • Added an option to disable the additional download list buttons.
  • Added "All files downloaded to:" the options dialog.
    (This is copied from Tools->Options->Downloads so it isn't a new feature.)
  • The shortcut key (cntl-J) to show and remove the download window wasn't working to remove the tab and sidebar displays.
  • Error console was logging many spurious errors during downloads about missing onProgressChange.
  • Open Folder when file was deleted but folder still there didn't work.
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
StoneCold

Post by StoneCold »

I've updated the German translation. This also fixes a few mini glitches in the translation. I hope the two files in a simple .zip file are ok for you.

http://stashbox.org/594505/downloadmgr_de_DE.zip
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

Thanks for the translation. I'm late on relying :roll: but I did put it into my 0.8.6 on Sunday evening. So far it's the only change in 0.8.6. I do have a few things on my to do list, most of them related to the delete file feature. I plan to support SeaMonkey 2.0 as well, but I'm not sure if that will be 0.8.6 or 0.8.7 (or maybe 0.9.0). It all depends on when I get around to the changes and when SeaMonkey is released.
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
Gofo

Post by Gofo »

Thanks a lot for this extension the delete file option is something i've been looking for forever!
Except the horrible grey theme\GUI it's one of my top extensions.
keep up the good work :)
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

Gofo wrote:Except the horrible grey theme\GUI it's one of my top extensions.

DMT doesn't specify the colors used. It just uses whatever the built in download manager uses. If you install a theme that changes the download manager colors then DMT changes with it.
Gofo

Post by Gofo »

I already have noia extreme but it does not effect the grey color or the buttons...
dtgriscom

Post by dtgriscom »

Thanks for an excellent extension, but here comes the traditional Inspecting the Donated Equine in the Mandibles. All issues are using DMT 0.8.5 on Firefox 3.5.2 on OS X 10.5.8.

- The Options button on the Downloads window (when enabled) brings up a sheet of options, but there's no way to get rid of it. The only way I've found is to use Command-Q, but instead of quitting Firefox it closes all windows and the sheet, but leaves the download manager visible (as well as the Firefox menus). I can open the options from the Add-ons window, though, and since it opens as a new window it has a close box and can be closed.

- The "Delete downloaded file from system" button deletes the file, but leaves the entry in the Downloads window. The Downloads entry should also be removed.

- When deleting a single file, you get a confirmation dialog with "No", "Cancel" and "Yes" buttons. The "Cancel" button is only useful if deleting multiple files; it should be hidden if deleting a single file.

- The icons in the Downloads window are pretty coarse and aliased. Of course I couldn't do better, but perhaps you have a graphics designer user who could. Perhaps the "Delete" button could be changed from an "X" to a red circle/slash symbol on top of a file; the Trash icon could be changed to a dust broom (for cleaning up, which is less drastic than trashing something).

And a feature suggestion. When cleaning up, I find it annoying to have to confirm every single deleted file. Yes, losing a file that I wanted to keep would be bad, but relatively speaking it was easy to get it in the first place, and I'll almost always be able to get it again with very little effort just by downloading it again. You could fix this in two ways:

1) Make the confirmation dialog optional, with the default being "on" (I'd personally turn it off)

2) Have an option that, instead of deleting, moves the file into a "DeleteMe" folder within the download folder, without confirmation. That way the file's still there, but the files can still be easily deleted once in a while by visiting the download folder.

Thanks again,
Dan
dtgriscom

Post by dtgriscom »

Another issue with DMT 0.8.5 on Firefox 3.5.2 on OS X 10.5.8. Command-J ("Tools/Downloads") and Command-W ("File/Close") both should close the Downloads window. However, if DMT is installed and enabled, and the Downloads window is the only window open, then neither Command-W nor Command-J work.
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

dtgriscom wrote:- The Options button on the Downloads window (when enabled) brings up a sheet of options, but there's no way to get rid of it. The only way I've found is to use Command-Q, but instead of quitting Firefox it closes all windows and the sheet, but leaves the download manager visible (as well as the Firefox menus). I can open the options from the Add-ons window, though, and since it opens as a new window it has a close box and can be closed.

This must be an Firefox/OSX issue. For me it shows up as a separate window with a close box on top and OK and Cancel buttons at the bottom. What happens if you go to Tools->options->downloads and select advanced options? I don't have access to an OSX PC so I'm not sure I can do much to fix this. I'll try and see how the add-ons window does it and maybe copy that. It may have to wait for someone who does have OSX to provide a fix for me.

dtgriscom wrote:- The "Delete downloaded file from system" button deletes the file, but leaves the entry in the Downloads window. The Downloads entry should also be removed.

This was by design, but I'm going to do something about it in the next version.

dtgriscom wrote:- When deleting a single file, you get a confirmation dialog with "No", "Cancel" and "Yes" buttons. The "Cancel" button is only useful if deleting multiple files; it should be hidden if deleting a single file.

Must be an OSX thing, because the programs I use don't bother with this, and I copied their behavior. I plan on several changes to the confirm popup and I'll probably change this too.

dtgriscom wrote:- The icons in the Downloads window are pretty coarse and aliased. Of course I couldn't do better, but perhaps you have a graphics designer user who could. Perhaps the "Delete" button could be changed from an "X" to a red circle/slash symbol on top of a file; the Trash icon could be changed to a dust broom (for cleaning up, which is less drastic than trashing something).

The trash can and the folder are carried over from the early days of DMT and the original developer. The red X is something I copied from other programs I use (like http://www.irfanview.com/) and the same for the other icons. I don't have a graphic designer, I only have me (DMT is a one man show). I made a bunch of new icons for 0.8.5 and I thought they looked better and more modern than the old ones, but all I get are complaints that my new icons look old and ugly ](*,) . I don't think it's possible to make everyone happy. I haven't decided what I'm going to do about this.

dtgriscom wrote:And a feature suggestion. When cleaning up, I find it annoying to have to confirm every single deleted file.

I plan to add a "yes to all" button to the confirm popup in the next version.

dtgriscom wrote:Command-J ("Tools/Downloads") and Command-W ("File/Close") both should close the Downloads window. However, if DMT is installed and enabled, and the Downloads window is the only window open, then neither Command-W nor Command-J work.

You're right about this. Not something I would have thought to try. I'll have to investigate to see if there is anything I can do about it.

As a side note: 96% of DMT users are on Windows. Linux and OSX split the rest evenly at just under 2% each.
Gofo

Post by Gofo »

Can you please add some skins or something or make it look like custom download manager the grey colors are annoying...
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

It's been six weeks since I posted so I thought I'd let you know that I'm not dead :shock:. I've been working steadily on the next DMT release (probably 0.9.0 and not 0.8.6) for the last week and a half. The changes for handling Delete File are done (removing from list at same time file is deleted, deleting files marked read only, updating status whenever DMT window is selected in case a file is deleted outside Firefox, etc). I made some changes to the toolbar and infobar that make them display better in themes (which should make Gofo happy). A few other small features are also done and few more may be added. I'm looking at some icon options now, not massive changes but an improvement I hope. The new icons won't make everyone happy, that's not possible, so I'm mainly making me happy :lol:. I plan to submit DMT to babelzilla, so if you want to add a translation for your language you'll need to signup there.

They say that a Firefox 3.6 beta is coming out in the next couple days. When it does, I plan on testing 0.8.5 with it. If it works I'll update AMO to reflect that and you'll be able to use it in 3.6. The 0.9.0 changes won't be ready for one to two weeks, with another week or so for AMO to approve it for release there. Hopefully it will be available around the time the final Firefox 3.6 release comes out. Depending on how babelzilla works I may do 0.9.0 without the translations and 0.9.1 with them added soon after.

I was talking about adding SeaMonkey support earlier, but that won't happen. It turns out that SeaMonkey uses a completely different download manager from Firefox. That means it needs a completely different tweak. That means a different extension, which I'll leave for somebody else to do.

Some recent news is that AMO put DMT on their recommended list. The number of downloads and users has jumped way up. You can go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/statistics/addon/256 to see by how much. It won't last forever, but it's nice while it lasts. One drawback is it attracts negative reviews on the AMO page. It seems that when people download and like it they don't post a review but if they don't like it they give me a one star review.
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

It turns out that 0.8.5 does not display properly with Firefox 3.6b1. The problem was obscure, and took a while to figure out, but the fix was just two additional lines of XUL code. I have released 0.8.6 with only this change so you can use DMT with Firefox 3.6. Remember that 0.9.0 is coming with many changes for you to look forward to.
StoneCold

Post by StoneCold »

It seems, that you forgot my updated German language pack in your new release. :(
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

I did forget the German language changes. I added them to what is now going to be 0.9.0. I made 0.8.6 at the last minute, based on 0.8.5, with as few changes as possible to get Firefox 3.6 support. I was hoping that AMO would release it more quickly if I made very few changes. If I had remembered, I would have included the language changes, because I don't think it would have delayed the release.

12% of DMT users are in the German locale, second only to English. Less than half of DMT users are in an English locale. That's why I plan on using Babelzilla in the future.