Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
danost

Folderpane Tools and TB 3 build 4

Post by danost »

Folderpane Tools does not work in TB 3 build 4, get error message:

XML parsing error: unidentified entity
Line Number 255, Column 19
<menuitem label = "renamefolderchoosethis.label;"

I've written to the author twice, have not received a reply.
I've uninstalled, downloaded the addon several times, and reinstalled, all to no avail.

Please help.
Thank you.
Dan
Rod Whiteley

Re: Folderpane Tools and TB 3 build 4

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Thunderbird 3 is not released yet, and the pre-release versions are not supported. Internal changes in Thunderbird 3 have made things difficult for extension authors. When the internals are more stable, you will see many more extensions being made compatible.
Rod
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Thunderbird Builds where the test builds are discussed.
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

danost wrote:Folderpane Tools does not work in TB 3 build 4

I've written to the author twice, have not received a reply.
I've uninstalled, downloaded the addon several times, and reinstalled, all to no avail.

Please help.
Thank you.
Dan

Folderpane Tools, which was an excellent extension, IMHO, is no longer updated or supported by the author & hasn't been for some time.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Ben Franklin
billko

Post by billko »

I got it to install correctly after a whole bunch of tries, but after that it still didn't work. ;)
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

billko wrote:I got it to install correctly after a whole bunch of tries, but after that it still didn't work. ;)

Hi!

Please try this version and let me know if it works:
http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#folderpanetools

Phil
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

Philip Chee wrote:Hi!

Please try this version and let me know if it works:
http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#folderpanetools

Phil

No joy Phil. I have Folderpane 0.0.5.1 & it doesn't work with any TB 3.x so I'm not surprised that version 0.0.5 doesn't either. I get an error that the settings won't be saved to prevent damage.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Ben Franklin
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Rocketman wrote:No joy Phil. I have Folderpane 0.0.5.1 & it doesn't work with any TB 3.x so I'm not surprised that version 0.0.5 doesn't either. I get an error that the settings won't be saved to prevent damage.

Ah right. I forgot that unlike SeaMonkey, Thunderbird has totally rewritten their folder pane. I'll have a look to see what can be done.

Phil
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

Philip Chee wrote:Ah right. I forgot that unlike SeaMonkey, Thunderbird has totally rewritten their folder pane. I'll have a look to see what can be done.

Phil

Phil, I wish you all the luck. Seriously. I really miss Folderpane. The only other extension that does even a fraction of what Folderpane does, Select Inbox, doesn't work with TB 3b4 (at least not for me).
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Philip Chee wrote:Ah right. I forgot that unlike SeaMonkey, Thunderbird has totally rewritten their folder pane. I'll have a look to see what can be done.

All right! I've poked around the extension and made some changes. Here is the link again. It's the same link but I've updated the XPI and tested it in 3.0pre:
http://downloads.mozdev.org/xsidebar/mods/folderpane_tools-0.0.5-tb.xpi

Phil
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

Philip Chee wrote:All right! I've poked around the extension and made some changes. Here is the link again. It's the same link but I've updated the XPI and tested it in 3.0pre:
http://downloads.mozdev.org/xsidebar/mods/folderpane_tools-0.0.5-tb.xpi

Phil

YAY! It looks like you got it right Phil! I'm able to have the inbox of my primary account selected on startup once again (even though it's the first one listed, whatever folder I left highlighted at exiting would be the one startup opened). I also tested rearranging a couple of folders (also moving them back) & that worked also. Good to go.

Might I suggest you change the version# or something else in the name so as to not get it confused with the original versions?
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

This is a test post. It has nothing to do with the topic, but rather is a diagnostic post for a problem.
GMBF

Post by GMBF »

FYI, it appears that after I used the add-on for reordering my e-mail folders that the column settings reset and had to re-hide ones that had previously been hidden.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

GMBF wrote:FYI, it appears that after I used the add-on for reordering my e-mail folders that the column settings reset and had to re-hide ones that had previously been hidden.

As far as I know, the Thunderbird 3.0beta4 folderpane doesn't have any columns, unless you've installed an extension.

Phil
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

Rocketman wrote:Might I suggest you change the version# or something else in the name so as to not get it confused with the original versions?

Phil, here's another reason to change the name/version#: with your version of the extension installed, TB wants to "update" it with the old 0.0.5.1 version. Anybody who lets it update will be screwed. FWIW