Software to STOP browser which use popup blocking

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
gspears

Software to STOP browser which use popup blocking

Post by gspears »

Just an FYI to the phoenix development team... (who are doing an OUTSTANDING job)

Found the site http://www.anti-leech.com/

They have software for web sites.... it will BLOCK browser which block their ads..... In effect, they defeat popup blockers... might be worthwhile taking a look at...

GS
flii

Post by flii »

i'm not sure if that software will block only *browsers* that stop popups, or if it also targets other programs outside the browser. do you know? when i used ie exclusively, i used a free popup stopper i got from http://popupstopper.net (which, btw, does absolutely nothing with my phoenix browser. tg for built-in blocking. if you want it, search the site a bit. there *is* a free version.) i know i've seen several sites already back when i used ie that tested for any popup blocking, and when i found them, i <b>never</b> went back again. hehe.
crippled-bird

I am not a thief! RMN

Post by crippled-bird »

I think it's reasonable for anyone who has a website to control access to it. One of the nice things about Phoenix is the increased awareness of what those web site authors are doing. If they want to send a pop-up, I see that little "i" icon, if they want to send cookies, I get asked if I want to accept it. What I've discovered is that cookies can be useful, but a site that barrages you with cookies or is insistent about pop-ups is usually a waste of time to begin with.

What I don't like about that anti-leech software is the little message that calls me a thief for trying to access the web page in question. It would be theft for me to try to hack around their anti-leech software, but just like they have the right to say, "no access without po-up ads", I have the right to say, "sorry, I'm not interested".
Ted Mielczarek

Indeed

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

They're offering content online, you're offering to view it. If either one of you don't like the terms, you're welcome to not participate. If they deny access to people blocking popups, I'm sure they'll see a lot less visitors. That's their decision to make. Calling their users thieves for not wishing to be annoyed by popups is a bit extreme, though. I'll browse the web on my terms, thanks.
flii

Re: Indeed

Post by flii »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:I'll browse the web on my terms, thanks.
yep. same here.
jdm

Post by jdm »

They can plaster banners all over their little web pages all they want but I refuse to close pop-ups. They are annoying, eat up ram, and they pop up in groups. One page I went to had an endless supply of pop-ups. One would pop up, you would close it, another would pop up, etc etc, it was endless. That was with IE too, you had to ctrl-alt-del and kill IE just to stop the pop-ups.

In the end they will lose revenue unless they are the only source of the type of information they are serving. People will just use google and find another source.
eforhan

pop up blocker blocking

Post by eforhan »

Wow. I guess that means that anyone who watches a movie on TV and gets up during commercials is a theif as well. No more bathroom breaks for you, bub!

--Eric
../frank

Post by ../frank »

A few minutes ago I sent the following to the anti-leech website. I realize we and they are currently being slashdotted. What fun what fun!

------------------------8< snip >8------------------------
Sirs:

I use popup blocking software. I resent your calling my exercising my right to uninterrupted web browsing "theft". Did you ever stop to consider that unwanted advertising could also be called "theft" because it "steals" my time and is sometimes used for deceptive purposes. There are many other ways to advertise legitimately than by using popup ads.

Any website that interferes with my wishes to block popup ads will get a polite email from me telling them why I will not return to their site.

Thank you for listening.
------------------------8< snip >8------------------------
../frank
My avatar cat, Mr. Gary Gray, passed away on 17 Oct 2013. RIP Gary! :cry:
shimage

Post by shimage »

i like how their website tries to install gator software on my computer when i visit with ie...

OT: the grammar is wrong in their message. "site" is singular...
tve

Post by tve »

I noticed something similar on a few message boards (at proboards.com I think)..

each time I load a page, a JS Alert pops up telling me to disable my popup-blocker or this Alert will pop up on every page... lol, so I have the choice between a JS Alert an a Popup-Ad, great :roll:

of course I didnt follow their "advice", and left the page :)
flii

Post by flii »

two legged freak wrote:of course I didnt follow their "advice", and left the page :)

that's what i'd do. i don't need them. :) i'm glad you don't either.
chrookee

Post by chrookee »

../frank wrote...
"Did you ever stop to consider that unwanted advertising could also be called "theft" because it "steals" my time"

Fully agree with this... pop ups are as bad as spam mail...
Absolute waste of time...
p24t

Theft of more than RAM

Post by p24t »

What about bandwidth? At some point in the (hopefully not too near) future, people may have more bandwidth limits. Some people in the world already do? What about all these sites that want us to xfer all these graphics, and flash ads, and whatever else they want to put in popups? I'd rather not pay for their advertising, too.
eforhan

popups

Post by eforhan »

The ones that really get me are the new ones using flash. They hog up part of the screen and there's no way to close it unless you look for the not-necessarily-easy-to-find "Close" button.

Anyway, don't they realize our minds register all that, whether subconciously or not? Tell me that a big juicy hamburger in a banner ad doesn't! :)

--Eric
flii

Post by flii »

well i know for fact that i'll be looking at the main parts of a page and not even notice banner ads, then i'll click on something, then pause.... then i remember something on an ad and go back. unfortunately, sometimes the back button brings back a fresh page and not the ad. :( but, i do subconsciously see the ads on pages. i do NOT see ads on popups, because they're (hehe) blocked!