Adobe DLM installed after Adobe update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
brinke

Adobe DLM installed after Adobe update

Post by brinke »

It says "Adobe DLM (powered by getPlus(R))." This arrived when FF said I needed to update Adobe Flash.
"a sophisticated tool for efficient distribution of digital goods." Huh?
What is this, why do I need it?
Last edited by brinke on September 9th, 2009, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Adobe DLM installed after FF update

Post by DanRaisch »

You did not update Firefox. You updated an Adobe product which apparently carried the Download Manager along with it. (You might consider editing your subject line to correct that.)
brinke

Post by brinke »

Huh, OK, thats what I thought. 3.53 is the current version, right? Can I zap that Download Manager?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you wish. It's not part of the standard Firefox installation.
brinke

Re: Adobe DLM installed after Adobe update

Post by brinke »

I uninstalled it, it made all sorts of WINDOWS NEEDS YOUR PERMISSION things pop up just for viewing a sneaker on adidas.com.
christineee3

Post by christineee3 »

How do you uninstall it? I find it annoying as well
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Supposedly you can remove it from the Windows Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs (on Windows XP) or Programs and Features (on Windows Vista and later).
hopethishelps

Try this - Re: Adobe DLM installed after Adobe update

Post by hopethishelps »

If you have the option selected in your Mozilla internet browser, then add ons such as this Adobe one can be automatically downloaded.

If you want to disable this functionality in Mozilla, go into Tools>Options>Advanced (far right), click on the 'Update' tab and select "Ask me what I want to do" below where it says, "When updates to Firefox are found:" and that way anytime an add on tries to install on your pc, you can decide whether or not to allow it.

Another tip for future should you be prompted to update is that you can always Google whatever it is that is trying to update to find more information about it and make your informed decision before it is installed.

Hope this helps! :D
DanRaisch

Re: Try this - Re: Adobe DLM installed after Adobe update

Post by DanRaisch »

hopethishelps wrote:If you want to disable this functionality in Mozilla, go into Tools>Options>Advanced (far right), click on the 'Update' tab and select "Ask me what I want to do" below where it says, "When updates to Firefox are found:" and that way anytime an add on tries to install on your pc, you can decide whether or not to allow it.

That setting has nothing to do with updates to plug-ins from Adobe. It will only affect updates to Firefox itself and that is not the issue in this thread.
Larry Latrinio, Loving Lawyer

Post by Larry Latrinio, Loving Lawyer »

All the links on this thread result in my getting prompted to install the Download Manager.
(A painful error loop can be created if Download Manager is running when those links are followed.)

The Download Manager gets installed with Adobe update, every time Adobe update is suggested after a Firefox update.

At the end of the day, DLM looks like a POS I don't need.

Would like to be able to update Adobe Flash Player without installing their DLM.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Larry Latrinio, Loving Lawyer wrote:All the links on this thread result in my getting prompted to install the Download Manager.

Then you are either allowing Adobe to prompt you to install software under Tools > Options > Security > Exceptions or you have an Adobe update plug-in enabled under Tools > Add-ons > Plugins or an extension under Tools > Plugins > Extensions.
You should only get an information bar at the top that says "Firefox prevented this site (get.adobe.com) from asking you to install software on your computer."
Larry Latrinio, Loving Lawyer wrote:Would like to be able to update Adobe Flash Player without installing their DLM.

1. Save the Flash Player uninstaller to the desktop.
  2. Save the Flash Player installer to the desktop. If that page gives you trouble, try the direct link instead. If you use Flash in Internet Explorer, also save the Flash installer for IE.
  3. Exit all open browsers.
  4. Run the uninstaller.
  5. Run the installer(s).
  6. Verify that you've successfully installed the latest version on the About Flash page.
Keep in mind Adobe DLM may be installed by automatic updates of other Adobe software, like Adobe Reader.
tonisdad

Post by tonisdad »

Gingergerbread Man
Thanks for info that pop up was doing my head in. Your suggestion removed it.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I just tried to install Flash 10 on my Win 2000 laptop. Every single link I could find online just leads to directly installing GetPlusR, Download Manager, whatever they call it into Firefox. This was strange to me because usually when I've installed Flash it's always just gave me a file to download which I had to run separately. I gave up and tried to let it install... and the GetPlusR install kept crashing itself. The direct link that Gingerbread Man gives works like a charm. Thank You! Now to figure out how to uninstall the nonfunctioning GetPlusR!
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
boeb

Post by boeb »

eknirb wrote:It says "Adobe DLM (powered by getPlus(R))." This arrived when FF said I needed to update Adobe Flash.
"a sophisticated tool for efficient distribution of digital goods." Huh?
What is this, why do I need it?