(X)HTML 5 media control bar

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
FunkyRes

(X)HTML 5 media control bar

Post by FunkyRes »

I am eagerly awaiting clients to be good enough that I can actually use html5 media by default.
This is the php class I wrote that currently embeds multimedia on my site -

http://www.shastaherps.org/xml_embedMedia.phps

Right now I use the flow() function to use flowplayer by default with (x)html5 fallback but hopefully soon I can use the html5() function instead (to use html5 media with flowplayer as fallback)

However, I can't figure out how to control the dimensions of the control bar. I would like to be able to specify both width and height for html5 media control bar. If at all possible, I also would like to be able to specify that for video, the control bar does NOT hide and is placed below the video pane, like it is with standard flowplayer control bar.

Is this possible? I know you can code your own control bar and use JavaScript API to interact with the media, but I really don't want to do that, the standard control bar is fine - I just want to be able to specify it's size and position and whether or not it hides. I assume this can be done with CSS but I can't find where that is documented.

Thank's for any tips.
FunkyRes

Re: (X)HTML 5 media control bar

Post by FunkyRes »

I solved the width issue for audio, seems firefox doesn't want a height other than 28 pixels.
Haven't yet figured out how to get the control bar to be placed under the video and permanent yet.
FunkyRes

Re: (X)HTML 5 media control bar

Post by FunkyRes »

Ugh - google chrome looks like it's default bar is a few pixels taller than firefox's, and it doesn't respect height attribute either.

I hope this kind of support gets better, what makes html5 so attractive is that you don't need to do javascript or use external plugins, but if you have to use javascript anyway to do your own control bar so that dimensions work across different browsers, what's the point?