Firefox will not start when I click the icon.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
I_LOVE_FIREFOX_YES_I_DO

Firefox will not start when I click the icon.

Post by I_LOVE_FIREFOX_YES_I_DO »

Well, I click the icon to start up Firefox and the load picture appears. However, it goes away after a second. ...And then nothing happens at all. Now the odd part about this is this only sometimes happens. It occurs mostly when I first start up the computer and then after a while when I try, it loads fine.

So most of the time when I log on using Firefox I have to use the link off of my Blue Tie email icon... This gets annoying.

Please help. Also, is there a way to make a particular page an icon?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Firefox Support
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

[q]: "Please help. Also, is there a way to make a particular page an icon?"
See: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_desktop_shortcut

About your other problem: maybe your security software (firewall) hasn't started yet, so try to wait a bit longer until all services are started and running.
I_LOVE_FIREFOX_YES_I_DO

No, that can't be why. Blue Tie still loads and so does Internet Explorer. Plus, it'll sometimes still do it hours after I start up. But ever since I made the Mozilla start page an icon and hasn't done that when I click that icon.

Thanks. ^__^
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Does it still happen if you start Firefox in -safe-mode?

You can create a test profile as a quick test to check if it is caused by your current profile:
Standard diagnostic: Create a new (test) profile
(only enter a name for the new profile, do not click "Choose Folder" to specify a location)
PeterLech

Sounds like it is l;oading but it never opens

Post by PeterLech »

I have the same problem in XP. I hear it loading from the Hard drive, but it never opens

I uninstalled the exiting version, shut down the cpu, restarted and reinstalled the latest version of FireFox. I have been using it since Version .9 and never had this program until after the recent ATT U-verse install.

Everything else works OK.
Jazz2222

Re: Firefox will not start when I click the icon.

Post by Jazz2222 »

I_LOVE_FIREFOX_YES_I_DO wrote:Well, I click the icon to start up Firefox and the load picture appears. However, it goes away after a second. ...And then nothing happens at all. Now the odd part about this is this only sometimes happens. It occurs mostly when I first start up the computer and then after a while when I try, it loads fine.

So most of the time when I log on using Firefox I have to use the link off of my Blue Tie email icon... This gets annoying.

Please help. Also, is there a way to make a particular page an icon?

Thank you for posting this question.
I see that you are having the same problem that I starting having yesterday. I did not want to uninstall Firefox, because I have many Bookmarks saved, and I do not want to lose them. I have done everything, including a System Restore, but my Desktop Icon, my Start Menu Button, and the Safe Mode Button on the Start Menu do not work to open Firefox.
It is still listed in my Add/Remove Programs.
So, I hope that someone comes in to answer our question. Thank you again.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

A little info on your 'Profile' folder, for future ref.,
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

Have you both (Peter n Jazz), tried a new profile yet, as suggested?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Franco50

Post by Franco50 »

I've been having this problem on a regular basis since upgrading to a Vista PC about 7 weeks ago - I never had the problem previously with XP. In that time I must have re-installed FF about four times but the problem eventually keeps coming back. One thing that I havn't noticed from the posts on this thread is that in my case Firefox will be listed in Task Manager as running even though the browser screen hasn't appeared. As the most recent entry for FF can't be deleted from Task Manager I have to reboot the PC and try again - sometimes FF will then start but sometimes not. I have previously tried running FF in Safe Mode which didn't change things for me. I havn't tried creating Test Profile yet so will try that but I would assume that my numerous re-installs would have covered that base automatically?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
I_LOVE_FIREFOX_YES_I_DO

I just solved my problem by making Google an icon...

Do that, guys. Make whatever page you want your homepage an icon. The only annoying part is you have to disable tabs or when you click the icon it doesn't open in its own window... Maybe if you held "Shift" down it would... I'm not sure.

Edit: Nope, you'll have to disable tabs under options...

Post by Guest »

HELP, firefos won't start up when I click on the icon! help!!!!
geotiger

Post by geotiger »

It seems that many people still have the same problem. I started having the same problem after I had installed a few window vista upgrades. I had no problem before the upgrade. Now, I could not start Firefox through clicking on the icon nor through the dos window. I tried the safe mode as well. Nothing is happening! Nothing in the task manager neither. No error neither.

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Perhaps something in those Vista updates caused an issue?

See the following link. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_will_not_start_up

The thread you posted in is almost two years old. As such, I am locking it due to it being outdated. If the above link doesn't help start a new thread.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.