Lost my bookmarks

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Lawton

Lost my bookmarks

Post by Lawton »

I lost all my bookmarks when I installed the update is there a way to get them back? I kinda clicked past the import bookmarks thing by mistake...
Rob_S

Re: Lost my bookmarks

Post by Rob_S »

If you know about profiles, seamonkey 2.0 has created a new "blank" one for you.

Bookmarks are stored in a file called "bookmark.html" in your old profile, which you only need to copy into your new profile.

If you had any email accounts, it might be easier to uninstall 2.0, delete your new blank profile, and reinstall, making sure to select the import option.
amrad

Post by amrad »

Lawton wrote:I lost all my bookmarks when I installed the update is there a way to get them back? I kinda clicked past the import bookmarks thing by mistake...

Assuming you were using SeaMonkey 1.1.x, it is very easy to transfer your bookmarks to SeaMonkey 2.0. As you are using Win XP, you will first have to make hidden files visible.

Your bookmarks for SM 1.1.x and SM 2.0 are contained in a file called "bookmarks.html", you can find the SM 1.1.x file here:

C:\Documents and Settings \ <Username> \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Profiles \ Default \ xxxxxxxx.slt where 'xxxxxxxx' is a random 8 character string.

The location of the bookmarks file in SM 2.0 is here:

C:\Documents and Settings \ <Username> \ Application Data \ SeaMonkey \ Profiles \ xxxxxxxx.<Profile Name> Probably initially 'Default'.

In SM 2.0, the bookmarks.html file will be quite small, whereas the SM 1.1.x file will be quite large, depending on how many bookmarks you have.

With all SeaMonkeys closed, delete the file 'bookmarks.html' from the folder 'xxxxxxxx.default' and copy (or move) the one in the folder 'xxxxxxxx.slt' to the folder 'xxxxxxxx.default'.

Restart SM 2.0 and you should find your bookmarks will be available.

Regards,

Dave.
The.Purple.Hippo

Post by The.Purple.Hippo »

the best way to transfer bookmarks from SM 1 to SM 2, and you don't know anything about profiles, then from SM 1, click on Bookmarks, Manage Bookmarks, then Tools, and Export the bookmarks. Then in the SM 2 bookmark manager, either Import those bookmarks, or click on File, Open Bookmarks File and use them that way.
Pim

Post by Pim »

Stupid question, but shouldn't Import in the SM2 bookmark manager just work, without having to export the bookmarks from SM1 first?
Groetjes, Pim
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Pim wrote:Stupid question, but shouldn't Import in the SM2 bookmark manager just work, without having to export the bookmarks from SM1 first?

You'd think
The.Purple.Hippo

Pim wrote:Stupid question, but shouldn't Import in the SM2 bookmark manager just work, without having to export the bookmarks from SM1 first?
yes, but you've gotta find the file first, therefore, you've gotta know where your profile is in the first place. Right!!?? If you export it first, then you don't have to know where the profile is. Correct!!??
Pim

Post by Pim »

No, incorrect!
When you choose Tools > Import, you get the choice of importing a specific file, or (the default) the bookmarks of an earlier installation. If you choose that, you don't have to tell the program where they are. The program knows!
Groetjes, Pim
The.Purple.Hippo

I see what they've done. They went and changed the importation and created an import wizard.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Now if only the said import wizard could haul in mail accounts for the current profile, and entire additional profiles, we'd be getting someplace.
Openose09

Lost my bookmarks

Post by Openose09 »

Hi there and welcome

Have you got this file from your old hard drive...

Macintosh HD/yourUsername/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

If you have then make sure Safari is not open and copy the old file into the same location on your new drive, overwriting the one thats there.

regards

Ric
Pim

Post by Pim »

Openose09, I'm pretty sure you meant to post this to a different discussion, or, more likely, to a different website altogether. This is not about Safari, Macintoshes or new hard drives!
Groetjes, Pim