Keep getting blank pages

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pine.nut

Keep getting blank pages

Post by pine.nut »

I use FF 3.5.5. I often end up getting blank pages when I browse certain web pages from the Google news page. Here are some sites that give me such a problem:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... anel_N.htm
http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/200 ... -hood.html
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-b ... 7697.story

I don't get the same problem when I use the Google Chrome browser.

Is there something can do to remedy the problem?
dfoulkes

Re: Keep getting blank pages

Post by dfoulkes »

Try this... it fixes things after updates sometimes....
Also, I went to all those links and had no problems.

From a prior post from Dan Raisch ...

Clear the browser cache (Tools->Clear Private Data->select cache->click on "Clear Private Data Now" button).

(If using Firefox 3.5.x use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Show Cookies button).
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
pine.nut

Post by pine.nut »

dfoulkes wrote:Try this... it fixes things after updates sometimes....
Also, I went to all those links and had no problems.

From a prior post from Dan Raisch ...

Clear the browser cache (Tools->Clear Private Data->select cache->click on "Clear Private Data Now" button).

(If using Firefox 3.5.x use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Show Cookies button).

I followed your suggestion but it didn't help.
I even tried one more drastic step by setting up a new profile by doing this:

Start -> Run -> firefox -P

But this one did not help either.
I don't have any problem with the above sites if I browse them undr Fedora linux.
So, I think this is a problem that is unique to Windows Firefoz 3.5.X.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Most likely the issue is your firewall. Your probably not using Linux with the firewall. See here for list of various firewalls and how to set them up:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls
pine.nut

Post by pine.nut »

Littlemutt wrote:Most likely the issue is your firewall. Your probably not using Linux with the firewall. See here for list of various firewalls and how to set them up:

I don't know what you are talking about.
Read carefully what I wrote before you say anything. :evil:
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

pine.nut wrote:
Littlemutt wrote:Most likely the issue is your firewall. Your probably not using Linux with the firewall. See here for list of various firewalls and how to set them up:

I don't know what you are talking about.
Read carefully what I wrote before you say anything. :evil:

THAT IS NOT A VERY GOOD WAY TO COMMUNICATE WITH A VOLUNTEER OF THIS BOARD!... we are all volunteers! [-X

Littlemutt mentioned that about Linux because you stated that you tried the sites with Linux and they worked so He correctly suggested you read up on Firewalls because it's probably your firewall blocking your links while using FF within Windows.
pine.nut

Post by pine.nut »

dfoulkes wrote:Littlemutt mentioned that about Linux because you stated that you tried the sites with Linux and they worked so He correctly suggested you read up on Firewalls because it's probably your firewall blocking your links while using FF within Windows.

I am sorry that I should have been more polite.
I still don't know what you are talking about either.
I can't run Linux along with Windows. They are too different computer.

Are you talking about firewalls in Windows?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Linux can be run on the same machine depending how you set it up. And yes, he's talking about the firewall on your Windows machine... If firewalls get confused and don't recognize that Firefox is a safe application they can block stuff when Firefox attempts to interact with the web. You need to read that link that Littlemutt gave you.
pine.nut

Post by pine.nut »

dfoulkes wrote:Linux can be run on the same machine depending how you set it up. And yes, he's talking about the firewall on your Windows machine... If firewalls get confused and don't recognize that Firefox is a safe application they can block stuff when Firefox attempts to interact with the web. You need to read that link that Littlemutt gave you.

I don't have any firewalls except for Windows Firewall in which firefox.ext is allowed.
Anyway, that is not the problem. In either Linux or Windows, you don't set the firewall for individual web sites. That is why I didn't understand what you and the other helper said.

I apparently made myself clear at the outset. I could open all those sites I listed above, but after loading many ads, the whole page became blank.

I tried the safe mode by Start -> Run -> firefox -safe-mode.
This one helps. which means some add-ons may cause the problem I am experiencing. I have exactly the same add-ons with Linux Firefox, but I don't have this problem.
I am going to use Google Chrome browser for a while and later when I feeling like doing some experiments, I would try to eliminate an add-on at a time to figure out which one my be doing it. Thank you for your help anyway. Bye for now.