MozillaZine

Mail Sync for Palm working!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Skwid

Post Posted September 16th, 2004, 2:29 pm

So I installed TB .8 the other evening without a hitch. Imagine my surprise when, the next morning and seemingly out of nowhere, my mail starts syncing up to my Treo 90 for the first time since I switched from Eudora! I'd let my mail get so cluttered in the meantime that Avantgo didn't have enough memory to run once the Inbox was synced up...

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to whomever made this happen, it was very nearly a showstopper for me when I couldn't get my mail on my Palm. Terrific job!

phoxxy

Post Posted September 17th, 2004, 3:28 pm

So, do pray tell how you got it to work. To my understanding, the palmsync conduit will only sync the address book, NOT mail.

I installed TB .8 today and the Palm syncronization with TB does NOT work. Upon first installing the extension through TB, when I tried to HotSync, it would launch Firefox and hang. I fixed that problem. As to why it would point to Firefox in the first place is beyond me. This is a fresh Windows XP install also, so there is minimal registry corruption.

Second, when I finally get it to point towards Thunderbird, it hangs forever and then finishes with the HotSync process. Still no syncronization with TB.

I've been combing the forums trying to find a solution, but I've come up empty. I did a fresh install of my apps in this order: Palm Desktop, Thunderbrid 0.8, Palm conduit, Firefox.

Nate1861

Post Posted September 17th, 2004, 5:46 pm

After installing the Palm Sync conduit, it should fail. Go into your Thunderbird directory and run the PalmSyncInstall.exe from there manually, it should say it succeeds that time.

phoxxy

Post Posted September 17th, 2004, 7:17 pm

I just got it to work. Call it coincidence, but it started working after I installed the Contacts Sidebar extension for Thunderbird. That's the only thing that that I did differently than before.

BTW, I tried it your way, and it didn't work that way either. Actually, for some reason, the palmsync.xpi kept mapping to Firefox in the registry despite the fact that I never launched the .xpi file through Firefox (it was launched via Thunderbird). I fixed the registry entry and it still didn't work. Only after installing the that one extension did it decide to start working.

As my grandmother used to say: maybe you just gotta hold your mouth just right.

Lost User 22584

Post Posted September 24th, 2004, 7:30 am

Hi,

Well, today I decided to upgrade to T-Bird 0.8 and I couldn't get Palm Sync to work no matter what I tried. Then, I installed the Contacts Sidebar extension as phoxxy had recommended. As phoxxy observed, Palm Sync then immediately started working thereafter.

Apparantly, Palm Sync doesn't work out of the box unless you have installed Contacts Sidebar...... So, if you are having having problems getting Palm Sync to work then try installing Contacts Sidebar. This got Palm Sync working for me.....

FYI,

Gordon

tameboy

Post Posted September 27th, 2004, 12:26 pm

Wow - I was so frustrated at PalmSync not working - I installed contacts sidebar, and it now works a treat.

Thanks Guys :)

drb000

Post Posted September 27th, 2004, 2:03 pm

So using this method, email is synced as well as contacts???
Firefox: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

Thunderbird: version 1.0 (20041206)

<b>Website: <a href='http://www.matt-darby.com' target='_blank'>matt-darby.com</a></b>

glume

Post Posted September 28th, 2004, 1:16 pm

To corroborate with the above posters, this does make Palm Sync work. Thanks to you guys!

drb: Only contacts are synced, not mail.

tameboy

Post Posted September 30th, 2004, 1:46 pm

glume wrote:To corroborate with the above posters, this does make Palm Sync work. Thanks to you guys!

I find that my mail does sync OK. Seems that experiences vary - the palm sync extension obviously needs more work

mkolber

Post Posted September 30th, 2004, 4:01 pm

glume wrote:To corroborate with the above posters, this does make Palm Sync work. Thanks to you guys!

I'm a brand new Tbird user - just experimenting. One of the reasons is that I'm tired of separate email and Palm address books and don't want to move to Outlook.

I installed Tbird 0.8 and the most current palmsync extension. No sync. I followed the advice I read in this thread and another on a similar topic and followed all of the suggestions from installing the Contacts sidebar to reinstalling my Palm Desktop software.

No go. Nothing works.

Two other pieces of information:

1. I'm using a Sony Clie, although that should not make any difference
2. When I install the palmsync extension, after installation is complete it does =not= show up in the extensions window (the contacts sidebar does)

Help? Suggestions?

tameboy

Post Posted October 1st, 2004, 9:43 am

mkolber wrote:2. When I install the palmsync extension, after installation is complete it does =not= show up in the extensions window (the contacts sidebar does)

The PalmSync ext does not show in the extension list when installed correctly - so no need to worry about that.

I had a problem with TB whic meant I needed to reinstall. The only way I can get PalmSync to work is to do the following: completely uninstall TB including the application settings folder "extensions" (in XP this is in: C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\3rromod8.slt\extensions). With your Palm HotSync manger already installed, install TB, followed by PalmSync, followed by Contacts Sidebar.

Can't explain why, but this works for me :)

mkolber

Post Posted October 1st, 2004, 12:07 pm

Thanks, tameboy, but no go. The Palm log doesn't even show it being accessed. But I did see someting new. When I first started Thunderbird after the reinstall I got an error:

The procedure entry point ??OnsxPIDLString@@QAE@XZ coul dnot be loacted in the dynamic link library xpcom_compat.dll

Meantime, I've reinstalled the Pal Desktop and will probably give up on Thunderbird for now.

cd_racer

Post Posted October 2nd, 2004, 5:33 am

Store address book from your Palm into Palm Desktop.

Step 1
1. Remove contacts slidebar plugin.
2. Run "cmd" (command prompt).
3. Go to your Thunderbird's install folder (for example: c:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird).
4. Run PalmSync.exe /u.
5. Answer "Yes" for all questions.
6. Restart Thunderbird.

Step 2
Remove files PalmSync.exe, CondMgr.dll, HSAPI.dll, mozABConduit.dll, PalmSyncProxy.dll from your Thunderbird's install folder.

Remove files palmsync.dll, palmSync.xpt from components folder (c:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\components, for example).

Step 3
Don't install contacts slidebar.
Install palmsync.xpi version 0.6.0 (try to search in bugzilla or Mozilla site) throught extentions menu in thunderbird (you can check if the correct version have been installed in Thunderbird's install folder, file install.log).
If you've installed 0.4.0 version, repeat Step 1 (except point 1), Step 2 and Step 3.

Step 4
Close Thunderbird.
If HotSync Manager haven't started yet, start it.
Go to the Custom menu in HotSync Manager.
Select Change for Mozilla Address Book.
Set Desktop overwrites handheld and "Set as default", click OK.

Step 5
Synchronize your Palm device with the computer.
Thunderbird must be loaded by HotSync Manager and address book from Thunderbird overwrites Palm's address book (but there isn't record in HotSync's log-file about address book synching).

Step 6
If all goes ok, install contacts slidebar, restart Thunderbird and test again.

P.S. If you use non-english characters in your address-book, you'll have a problem, because address book on PC is in UTF-8 (on Windows 2000, XP and 2003 computers), but in Palm the encoding is non-unicode.
---
Have a nice day!

mkolber

Post Posted October 2nd, 2004, 5:57 am

cd_racer wrote:Step 4
Close Thunderbird.
If HotSync Manager haven't started yet, start it.
Go to the Custom menu in HotSync Manager.
Select Change for Mozilla Address Book.
Set Desktop overwrites handheld and "Set as default", click OK.

Step 5
Synchronize your Palm device with the computer.
Thunderbird must be loaded by HotSync Manager and address book from Thunderbird overwrites Palm's address book
Whoa! Why the heck would I want to overwrite the =nine hundred= entries in my Palm address book with the =zero= entries in my Thunderbird address book? And be unable to add new entries via the Palm?

"Throw out fifteen years of data collection and start from scratch." Sorry, Sounds like a pretty useless tool to me. I'll wait for somethng better.

cd_racer

Post Posted October 2nd, 2004, 6:07 am

When you set up the synchronization, you can do the Step 6 :))):
change the synchronization method from "Desktop overwrites handlheld" to the desired and don't forget to check "Set as default".

Also, you can try Step 4 with a different sync type setting.
---
Have a nice day!

Return to Thunderbird General