Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

Thanks Dorando :D

Kaleus: will create a small extension, that only does that ;)
Kaleus

Post by Kaleus »

Thanks Samir. :)
CoolCatBad

Post by CoolCatBad »

Anyone seen this? It's called Petit TBE.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/toolbarpalet ... ex_en.html
Warduke

Post by Warduke »

I just tried Petit TBE, and just like Single Window, external links still open in a new window.
Firefox : One Browser to Rule Them All.
dandersahn

Post by dandersahn »

As a Firefox user on both a very fast Windows machine and a not quite so fast Mac I use TBE on my Windows machine and not on the Mac.

In addition to TBE's significant Mac Firefox compatibility issues, it makes the browser slow as hell. The problem I have is that a majority of the apps listed at the beginning of this thread and throughout this thread don't work on a Mac. A few, strangely enough, only work if other extensions are enabled. What is it about the OS X version of Firefox that causes all of the tab related extensions to not work or even break the browser entirely (Single Window, for instance)??

Although the TBE is so very bloated, I use it on my Window machine because I do use a lot of features and the TBE implementation just seems a little bit better for many, but not all, of the extensions. "Single Window Mode", for example, works a lot better with TBE than with Tab Browser Preferences. When using the latter, new links open first in a new window, then that window vanishes and a new tab appears with the contents. I know it's a bit trivial, but I like that this does not happen with TBE. Not all of the multiple extensions play nice with each other either.

TBE's biggest problem aside from the performance issue is that each release seems to introduce new bugs. I usually find one that works well and stick with it for a long while.

Just my $0.02. Forgive me if this is repetative (I got tired of scanning through 27 pages of posts for this topic :) .
dellin

Post by dellin »

where to find session saver?. the link in this thread is dead.
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

scott2096

TBE was too slow, but I do miss the progress meter

Post by scott2096 »

I just ditched TBE from my old 400MHz 128M Pc as it was agonisingly too slow. I've gone with most of the replacements recommended here (see guys & gals - people out here really do appreciate your advice).

The one thing I desperately miss is the tab loading progress meter. I'm on dial-up & it really is useful to see when you can go back to the tab that's finished loading, &/or start your next download.

If somebody could design an extension to do this, they would have a lot of happy people thanking them.

FireFox really does rock!!
Get the free versions of programs before they became shareware - just go to:

<a href=http://www.comcen.com.au/~scottford/>http://www.comcen.com.au/~scottford/
Luftpost

Post by Luftpost »

The new 10/2 nighty adds single window mode (except for JS open windows) and also ability to control tabs,windows etc opened by external apps, so that reduces reliance on extensions.

I suppose. I would still need tab x, the ability to reorder tabs also maybe. Some Maxthon users might still need TBE for tab goups though.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Actually it can handle JS open windows, set the pref browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction to 0 and open's will open a new tab. If you set it to 2 then only opens with no options (like specifying the window size etc) will open in a new tab. Set to 1 and all opens open a new window.

Mossop
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

Luftpost wrote:The new 10/2 nighty adds single window mode (except for JS open windows) and also ability to control tabs,windows etc opened by external apps, so that reduces reliance on extensions.

I suppose. I would still need tab x, the ability to reorder tabs also maybe. Some Maxthon users might still need TBE for tab goups though.

mossop wrote:Actually it can handle JS open windows, set the pref browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction to 0 and open's will open a new tab. If you set it to 2 then only opens with no options (like specifying the window size etc) will open in a new tab. Set to 1 and all opens open a new window.

Mossop

Both posts are correct; Mossop's description matches for 10/4 builds and later.
scott2096

Post by scott2096 »

thenightfly42 wrote:
Luftpost wrote:The new 10/2 nighty adds single window mode (except for JS open windows) and also ability to control tabs,windows etc opened by external apps, so that reduces reliance on extensions.

mossop wrote:Actually it can handle JS open windows, set the pref browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction to 0 and open's will open a new tab. If you set it to 2 then only opens with no options (like specifying the window size etc) will open in a new tab. Set to 1 and all opens open a new window.

Mossop

Both posts are correct; Mossop's description matches for 10/4 builds and later.

I don't want to sound like an idiot (I know!), but which extension are we actually talking about? Thanks.
Get the free versions of programs before they became shareware - just go to:

<a href=http://www.comcen.com.au/~scottford/>http://www.comcen.com.au/~scottford/
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Its not an extension, but built into the latest nightlies of firefox itself. Just look into the advanced options and set it all up there. Oh and set the pref mentioned above for control over javascript calls.

Mossop
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Maybe it is time to start a new thread with the same topic. This one, at 27 pages, is a bit out of date considering how much has changed since it started, especially with the tab fixes in recent nightlies.

Just a suggestion. Carry on.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

I would agree. I came here because since the new nightlies I have no need of TBE except for a few points. I really don't have the time to read through the 27 pages to find the extensions that do the few small bits I am after though.

Mossop