[Ext] Context Search 0.4.3

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

It seems some of this functionality has come to the browser.

Anyone have any problems or is it working fine for you?

Should there be any changes if this is the case?

:-)
Luftpost

Post by Luftpost »

jason2584 wrote:Good stuff, Cusser. I was glad to see this extension as I've been thinking about writing a similar one that will give an expandable menu for performing QuickSearches on highlighted text from the context menu.

Hmm look at this

http://www.bengoodger.com/software/smartsearch/

By Ben Goodger no less. Is my eyes playing tricks or is this extension not updated to 0.9 yet?
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

sasquatch wrote:It seems some of this functionality has come to the browser.
Anyone have any problems or is it working fine for you?

Jesse has incorporated some of these things into the browser, but I doubt I'll be releasing any updates until closer to 1.0 anyway, since I'm not interested in updating extensions for nightly builds all the time. It'll hopefully be trivial to make any necessary changes, as I should be removing unneeded code instead of adding to it.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Since the "stock" browser will be doing both searching and highlighting, maybe you could combine what's left into one addon instead.

I was going to ask you to do the highlight so it goes on to the next page when going to page 2, 3, etc. which the "stock" one now does. (Yay!)

Thanks for doing these, Cusser.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Sasquatch, this extension does one simple job, and I intend to keep it that way. All this extension will ever do is add the search engines to the context menu.
Last edited by BenBasson on August 1st, 2004, 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
pcdingo

Post by pcdingo »

Hehe i have not seen this extension , perfect with your contexthighlight ;)
Ah also just a thing , why you don't add yours extensions on update.mozilla.org ?
Me when i have done my extension i have not seen there was already an extension for highlight. I think i will be more visible for people.
SearchBox Companion(All-In-One Search button) - One button, as companion for searchbox, to find and highlight searched words
Show Anchors - Show and catch anchors in page
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Cusser wrote:Sasquatch, this extension does one simple job, and I intend to keep it that way. All this extension will ever do is add the search engines to the context menu.

Oh yeah, right. I might have been getting this confused with another extension.

This is a great one!
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

No update to this extension should be necessary for 1.0 apart from a version number bump. I just tested this with 20040810 Branch and it works as expected... Jesse's checkins do not affect the code I use to open new tabs/windows with this extension.
tuk0z

Post by tuk0z »

frease > Cusser, you rock! You always make such useful extensions Smile

+1 :)

great job
Firefox/-dev/Palemoon & ex-Opera fan - Arch Linux, Android, Windows phone - RAID-lvm Core i3, Atom systems
"Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a Web page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, be4 the Web..." - Tim Berners-Lee, July 1996
trejkaz

Nice!

Post by trejkaz »

I would only make one change to this extension... it should work in text fields and text areas as well. That way I can be cheap and use it as a mini-spellcheck. ;-)
matt me

Post by matt me »

The Ben Goodger extension (SmartSearch) uses the bookmark quicksearches rather than the mozex sherlock search plug-ins. The two should really be integrated.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

If you want a more integrated package, try conQuery. Context Seach does exactly what I want it to, and therefore I have no plans to add on support for other things.
Luftpost

Post by Luftpost »

Conquery is powerful no doubt, it does import all the sherlock/mycroft plugins so it can take the place of context search.

However, there are some searches that I find work for keyword/quick searches but I can't get conquery to work on. In these situations smart search would be good.
bIOHZRd

Post by bIOHZRd »

I have been trying to find something similar to this for a while. I want to have the ability to select a text link that is not in <a> tags and press one mouse click to open it in a new tab somehow. Something similar to how the select text > right click on selected text > click on search web for ... is currently, except just open the link thats selected.

Your extension is the closest thing i've found so far, and it might be very simple to do or adapt into your extension.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for threadjacking :)
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

bIOHZRd wrote:I have been trying to find something similar to this for a while. I want to have the ability to select a text link that is not in <a> tags and press one mouse click to open it in a new tab somehow. Something similar to how the select text > right click on selected text > click on search web for ... is currently, except just open the link thats selected.

Your extension is the closest thing i've found so far, and it might be very simple to do or adapt into your extension.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for threadjacking :)

Not really similar to this extension at all, in my opinion, and definitely should have been asked in a separate thread;
that's of course after you'd searched and not found an answer.

Your question has already been asked and answered in this thread:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=133000