New: QuickNote 0.6 release

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
jedbro

New: QuickNote 0.6 release

Post by jedbro »

Image QuickNote 0.6.1
Home Page: http://quicknote.mozdev.org/
ScreenShots: http://quicknote.mozdev.org/screenshots.html [outdated]
Installation: http://downloads.mozdev.org/quicknote/quicknote.xpi [Mirror]
Change Log: http://quicknote.mozdev.org/changelog.txt
Description: A note taking extension for Firefox/Mozilla/Thunderbird and Netscape

0.6 marks a long overdue update for QuickNote.
This release sports dozens of bug fixes, feature implementations and optimizations.

New in 0.6.1:
  • Fix for Firefox 1.0.3 and later.
New in 0.6:
  • Spell Check Support (if Spellboundis installed)
  • Improved "Send to" functionallity, now sends to sidebar and tab correctly.
  • AutoStart option (hidden pref quicknote.autostart = true)
  • Tabulation support
  • Firefox 1.0PR and Thunderbird 0.8 support
  • OtherBug fixes and enhancements.

Coming in 0.7:
    • Unlimited Note support.
    • Lots more..

Special Thanks to Nick (Asqueella) for all his hard work on this release.

Enjoy
-Jed
Image Post made with BBCode
Last edited by jedbro on April 17th, 2005, 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Axord

Post by Axord »

I just wanted to thank the people behind this extension for developing and maintaining it--thank you!
tombik

Post by tombik »

Yes, good words! Thank you also from Berlin,Germany
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

bump.
MvD

Post by MvD »

Thanks for the great work people! excellent extension!
If God is the answer, it must have been a very stupid question. - Someone on the net
CPU-Z Info|Firefox Info
Axord

Post by Axord »

The one thing that keeps this from replacing metapad for me almost entirely is that Firefox's find bar doesn't work with Quicknote. I assume this is primarily a browser problem, what with Find not working with textareas in general. So I suppose my question is, when bug <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=252371">252371</a> gets fixed, will that make find automatically work with Quicknote?
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

Axord: No it won't. Search needs to be implemented in QN separately. I'm hoping to do it when I have more free time on hand.
Axord

Post by Axord »

Ah, I see. Good luck with that, and thanks for the speedy response!
brnitup

Post by brnitup »

I love QuickNote! It's great for taking notes, or writing mail, or writing and editing forum posts before I paste them here. I like it best as a sidebar, which I can widen to about half the browser, so I can read and write simultaneously. Only problem is I wish I had more screen real estate! Can someone write me a bigger screen? ;)

My favorite feature is 'Send to QuickNote' in the right-click menu and the ability to automatically include the url. Now that it goes to the sidebar instead of opening a floating window I like it even better!

Dragging and dropping text to and from it works nicely. I was wondering if it is possible to enable the 'Add url' to this feature as well- so when I dragged a selected item to it the url would be pasted just like if I used the 'Send to QuickNote' command. Would this be immensely complicated to do?

One other feature that would sometimes come in handy would be the ability to 'lock' individual tabs so they would be uneditable.

A spell-check feature is a great addition! I'm going to go install Spellbound right now!
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

Dragging and dropping text to and from it works nicely. I was wondering if it is possible to enable the 'Add url' to this feature as well- so when I dragged a selected item to it the url would be pasted just like if I used the 'Send to QuickNote' command. Would this be immensely complicated to do?

That is bug 6499.

One other feature that would sometimes come in handy would be the ability to 'lock' individual tabs so they would be uneditable.

Why do you think so?
brnitup

Post by brnitup »

Why do you think so?

I thought of it when I read <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=131306" target="_blank" class="postlink">this thread</a>.

If people are using QuickNote as a place to hold their boilerplate text for pasting then it might be nice to be able to lock the tabs they use for this so it doesn't accidently get erased or changed.

In my case, I share a computer with my wife, so if one of us is using a tab to compose a message or something and we aren't yet finished with it we could lock it so the other doesn't go and save something else over top of it thinking we don't need it anymore.
TDavid

QuickNote - Discoveries and Features

Post by TDavid »

Just wanted to say thanks to the creator(s) and contributors of this very useful QuickNote!

I have started using QuickNote for 2 days!

QuickNote 0.6 - Discoveries and Features
----------------------------------------------
Just wanted to share some interesting discoveries and useful features about QuickNote 0.6

Some of these discoveries are NOT mentioned in the help file yet:

QuickNote is useful for saving your ideas and notes QUICKLY. You have choices - QuickNotes can be open in the sidebar, or in Tab or in a Floating Window.

(1) QuickNote will automatically paste the URL (web address) when "copying" the selected text into QuickNote.
- How? Right-click on the selected text and select 'Send to QuickNote').
- This is a great Time-Saver! - Very useful for keeping track of where the information came from (the web address).
- You have a choice to turn off this "Add URL to end of copied text" in the Option Menu.
-How? Bring up the Option Menu by clicking on the small QuickNote icon on the right-hand side, will popup a menu, select "Settings".

(2) A quick way of selecting each Note tab is using the keys ALT-1, ALT-2, ALT-3, ALT-4

(3) QuickNote Tabs can be re-named!
- This is very useful features!
- How? Right-click on the tab and choose "Re-name Current Tab".

(4) You can choose where you want to save the file (location) and name of the file as well.
- How? Click as the "Save As" button and browse to the location where you want to save your note file.
- To permanently change to your own preferred location:
- Bring up the Option Menu - How? Click on the small QuickNote icon on the right-hand side, will popup a menu, select "Settings", and click on the tab "User Files". Then click on the choose button to select your file)

(4) Press F5 will insert Date and Time at the cursor position.

(5) Background color (for each QuickNote page) can be changed!
- How? Open the Option Menu, click on the "Setting"-> click on the "Customization" tab->bring cusor into "Custom CSS Styles" box and type "background-color:#ccffcc;" (without the quotes) will set a light green background-color.

(6) What color code to use?
- Use the FireFox extension "ColorZilla" (a color picker) to choose your screen color and it will show the color code!

=====================================

Please feel free to copy any of the above details and paste into the QuickNote Help menu, if needed.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

brnitup: I see, could you please file a bug for "Lock tabs" feature?

TDavid: yes, the website needs an update. I'm not sure my English is good enough to write help documentation, and I don't like writing it. Would you like to help rewriting the help page? :D
oldtimer

Re: New: QuickNote 0.6 release

Post by oldtimer »

jedbro wrote:
  • Tabulation support

I don't understand what is meant by this. We've always had tabs. Do you mean reordering like miniT? Which is not possible on QN, I've checked.
Last edited by oldtimer on October 5th, 2004, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007112000 Minefield/3.0b2pre
For kicks: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6
churm

Post by churm »

hi jed,

i'm running QuickNote 0.6 with Firefox preview release version 1.0 on a USB Stick.

each time i run QuickNote at home or at work, the files for the tabs are not found, because the absolute path of my USB Stick varies between machines; at home the stick is on K:\ and at work it's on I:\

is there any workaround for this in the QuickNote settings ? i'd like to be able to enter a relative path in the Settings ==> User File path area, something like this (but this doesn't work):

instead of:
I:\Firefox\Firefox_Data\Profiles\default.uyw\chrome\quicknote1.txt

something like:
jar:resource:/Firefox_Data/Firefox_Data/Profiles/default.uyw/chrome/quicknote1.txt

or:
/Firefox_Data/Firefox_Data/Profiles/default.uyw/chrome/quicknote1.txt

thanks,

tom churm