remove "intall google chrome" "popup"?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

fbu924

remove "intall google chrome" "popup"?

Post by fbu924 »

Hello: this is on v 2.0.1 nightly from 1dec. PPC tiger.11. Google is my home page. Recently, this irritating "thing" (it's not a popup, because I have prefs set to block popups; it's not in exceptions list) appears on the upper R corner, to "install google chrome". It's got an X to close that irritating box, but how do I get it to not appear at all? It does appear in webkit, but doesn't in Namaroka 3.6b2pre downloaded hallowe'en. Thanks.
Paul L
phiw13

Re: remove "intall google chrome" "popup"?

Post by phiw13 »

Unless your google cookies are session-only, just close that box and you'll never see it again.

(and maybe someone should file a TE bug against Google - if your user agent is a Gecko browser but doesn't contain the word 'Firefox' in the UA string, you are denied the right to see that box… :-))
fbu924

Post by fbu924 »

Thanks, I did have that pref set to "allow for session" for google. I'll change that to see if that helps.
Paul L
fbu924

Post by fbu924 »

After following Phi's instructions, and checking about:config, I still get the "install google chrome" box. I deleted google cookies, reset pref to accept google cookies. In about:config the only reference to firefox is in "general.useragent.extra.nonfox" . The value is "like firefox 3.0.16", which I removed & reinstalled no difference.
-Note: the box and some google links don't appear until the mouse moves.
-how does one file a TE bug against google?

Thanks.
Paul L
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

I must confess that I'm pretty puzzled by Google.

1. with a default Camino profile, I go to google.com and it redirects to google.co.jp (ok, that is normal given where I live, happens with any browser). But I don't get that ad for Chrome.
  2. more puzzling: google.co.jp loads in English. Firefox, Minefield and Safari all load it in Japanese. No idea why… (all send basically the same in the UA accept-language header: en-us).
  3. with Camino, on google.co.jp, there is a link: Google available in Japanese. Following it reloads the page, in Japanese. And it shows the ad for Chrome.
  4. It also offers a link 'go to google.com'. Following it goes indeed to that place, but without the ad. Go figure. [**]
Minefield, Namoroka, Shiretoko (code names for Firefox nightly builds) never show me the ad.

Anyway. Another way to get rid of that ad, without need to change anything about cookies: block it with a custom entry in your userContent.css:

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url(http://www.google.com/), url(http://www.google.co.jp/) {
#pmocntr { display: none !important; }
}

PS
1. you should correct your 'general.useragent.extra.nonfox'; the correct string is : (like Firefox/3.0.16)
2. I was joking about that TE (Tech Evangelism bug) bug against Google. Anyway, it is there: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug. ... Evangelism. Read more/first on this page.

---
And finally: am I the only who find that fade-in effect on Google's page creepy and really cheap ? Luckily I nearly never go to that page; Cmd-Opt F does all I need.

[**] note: unlike another search engine soo much praised by the director of user community for Firefox, independently of which Google page I load, I get basically the same results.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

phiw13 wrote:And finally: am I the only who find that fade-in effect on Google's page creepy

No, you are not ;-)
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

Uncle Asad wrote:
phiw13 wrote:And finally: am I the only one who finds that fade-in effect on Google's page creepy

No, you are not ;-)

It is a bit unnerving. :shock:
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9