Firefox search bar doesn't work

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ryan423

Firefox search bar doesn't work

Post by ryan423 »

Hi,

I did a search on this and apparently it hasn't helped. I went to this link, followed all the instructions, but that that didn't work by removing or deleting the file. Installed firefox again, that also didn't work. Ran firefox in safe mode, that ddidn't work. Where the search bar works is if I type something and it gives me a suggestion, I highly it and press enter, it then works. However, if I type something, hit enter, nothing happens. It doesn't do anything. It seems like it doesn't want to accept the 'enter' key fucntion when searching for random items. This only started happening today and I haven't installed/uninstalled or modified anything. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks.
Does Jesus impact your life?
El SID

Re: Firefox search bar doesn't work

Post by El SID »

Try creating a new Firefox test profile. Don't install any addons in the new profile or delete your old profile yet. Try searching with the test profile.
ryan423

Post by ryan423 »

El SID wrote:Try creating a new Firefox test profile. Don't install any addons in the new profile or delete your old profile yet. Try searching with the test profile.

Ok so that actually works. What do you think could be the problem with the profile? I don't want to lose data on it. It's mainly the passwords which I have saved and the extensions which I have. Or should I just switch to the new profile.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Stick with the new profile. You can transfer over the data that you want from the old profile

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox

If you want to move passwords, be sure that you move both the key3.db and signons.sqlite
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
ryan423

Post by ryan423 »

Bluefang wrote:Stick with the new profile. You can transfer over the data that you want from the old profile

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox

If you want to move passwords, be sure that you move both the key3.db and signons.sqlite

Thanks mate. I'll do the transferring of bookmarks shortly.