Error Creating Account. Incoming server already exists.

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
creativematter

Error Creating Account. Incoming server already exists.

Post by creativematter »

In Thunderbird 2.0 it was easy to have many different IMAP accounts against the same domain on Google Apps.
For example (these are all Google Apps IMAPS and are active and working right now)
steve@mydomain.com
quotes@mydomain.com
sales@mydomain.com
I'm on Thunderbird 3.03b now.

Even when i got a new one onto my list of accounts, It keeps changing my proper username of 'orders@mydomain.com' into 'orders' (removes the @mydomain.com part). So I can never log on. I used the exact same imap settings as all my other accounts on the same domain. I have three working domains all with multiple email addresses getting pulled, but now I can't add any more. Its real bad. Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated.

Attached are images that show my proper configuration, then what happens when I click 'Create Account'.

If anyone knows the solution to this I'd be deeply indebted. Thank you!!!!
S. Davis
DanRaisch

Re: Error Creating Account. Incoming server already exists.

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Builds where pre-release versions are discussed.
mlissner

Post by mlissner »

Yeah, same problem here, also with the Google apps.

Not sure how the checking mechanism is working, but something is off, since having the same server for multiple accounts is a very common thing.
mlissner

Post by mlissner »

Bug filed here. Marked as resolved, though I'm commenting that it needs reopening: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=490430
bwinton

Post by bwinton »

Hi, just popping by to let you all know that I'll be looking into this. I have three accounts on the same domain that I check daily, so this is something that definitely should work, and that I'm personally interested in fixing. :)

Thanks,
Blake.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Hi Blake, welcome to the MZ forums!

Michael, did you use a recent 3.0pre nightly build for testing?
Blake's patch is not in TB 3.0 beta 4.
mlissner

Post by mlissner »

I don't think it's a nightly version, but it's pretty close. It's the one that's provided here: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-d ... rchive/ppa
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

This indeed should be close enough (checkin dates were October 5 and 9). Reading Blake's post again, it seems there are some open issues left anyway, I don't see a follow-up bug filed yet though.
Highlag

Post by Highlag »

Well as of yesterday I could not send email from my Thunderbird.
Checked settings.... Nothing changed, internet provider also. TB says that something's wrong with imap server settings ....

Tried to remove account, but could not remove imap server from settings..?

Uninstalled thunderbird, remove thunderbird maps from users, uninstalled thunderbird.

Downloaded new version, installed, trying to set up new account, setup finds pop / imap servers automatically?? Not sure from where?
And after warning that says that my imap does not use encryption, setup works something for as long as i let him... If I intervene I get above mentioned error.

Thunderbird is dead to me :-(

Anyone knows any good Email clients? ](*,)
mlissner

Post by mlissner »

Your problems seem unrelated to the ones we were having above, but you might try creating a new profile via the profile manager, and seeing if you can get it working from a fresh start.

I would also suggest starting a new thread if you haven't done so already.
Highlag

Post by Highlag »

How can u say not related if I can not create new account on fresh install? Not even in previously used Client for that matter, because that was my first reaction when I tried to resolve the problem. Looks like TB uses settings that are stored in registry perhaps?.

I used TB from first beta versions without much trouble.....
mlissner

Post by mlissner »

I think it's unrelated because the subject of this thread is a specific error message that we were having when we tried to create accounts. Are you having the "incoming server already exists" error?

I'd be surprised if TB uses the registry for anything. I don't think that's the way it's designed to work. Did you try creating a new profile? If so, I'd wager that the settings you're putting in might not be correct?
Highlag

Post by Highlag »

Well trying to solve this thing for 2h. First Yes I HAD problem creating new account. Same error mentioned on top of the page: Error Creating Account. Incoming server already exists.

I received this error only after trying to resolve some SMTP error I got.

In meantime I've read TB release notes and found probable solution for my first problem with SMTP.

But after uninstalling TB I had problem reinstalling it as I got : Error Creating Account. Incoming server already exists.

I tried again, deleted all TB folders, cleaned Registry. Reinstall - again error: Error Creating Account. Incoming server already exists. ?
What I did next was to replace POP server port 110 to 100 and successfully created new account.
Then I changed port back to 110 and it worked. :-)-
Fiddled a bit with security settings - and successfully received and send e-mail :-) So problem solved for me for now....

Anyway have a nice Holidays and Happy new year!
bpsdbtb

Post by bpsdbtb »

I found a fix for this vexing "incoming server already exists" problem that finally worked for me. Locate the TB "Profile" files in the appropriate Application Data directory (see the eHow article on "How to Transfer Thunderbird Settings and Email on a Windows PC" for info on how to find these files in Win XP, Vista, and XP). Delete the "profiles.ini" file and then in the "Profiles" subdirectory, delete the "xxxxxxx.default" file, where the x's are random characters.

Bring up Thunderbird--you may get a screen asking what program to import information from: be sure to click on the option which says NOT to import anything. When Thunderbird comes up, it will have no account information (since you just erased all of your previous account information, including the fouled up previous attempts that were screwing everything up with that frustrating "incoming server already exists" brick wall), and you will be asked to create an account. Enter the email address, and the password that will get you into your email account on your ISP (and keep "remember password" checked). IMPORTANT! When you click on the continue or OK (whatever) button, click on "stop" in the next screen as fast as you can, or wait until TB tells you that it has found your (albeit incorrect) account info for your ISP server. Click on "edit" and start entering the CORRECT information, including POP instead of IMAP, if necessary, and the correct port information. If the outgoing server is wrong, just leave it for now for later correction.

***VERY IMPORTANT*** DO NOT hit the "Retest" configuration (or whatever) button, and DO NOT hit the "Create Account" button on the lower right. HIT THE "Manual create" BUTTON at the LOWER LEFT. You should see your new account appear in the left hand TB column. Now open the "Tools" menu in TB and select "Account Settings". The bottom entry that appears in the left hand column is "Outgoing Server (SMPT)". If it is incorrect, click on it, and on the next screen that appears, click on "Add". Enter the correct information for your server's outgoing mail and click "OK". Go back into "Tools"|"Account Settings", and in the left hand column, click on the email address for the account you have just set up. At the bottom of the screen that appears there will be a pull down menu next to "Outgoing Server (SMPT)" where you will find, and can select, the correct "Outgoing Server (SMPT)" you have just set up.

For each email account you want to set up, go back into "Tools"|"Account Settings", and underneath the left hand column, click on "Account Actions", and select "Add Mail Account". Repeat the above procedure from here for the new email account.

Deleting the "profile.ini" and "xxxxxxx.default" files from the Thunderbird "App Data", or "Application Data" files finally allowed me a totally clean setup of my email accounts as described above. Hope this helps the many other people I came across on the internet at large who have been enduring endless, fruitless frustration over this issue.
bpsdbtb

Post by bpsdbtb »

Just a note in addition to the previous post:

Uninstalling Thunderbird does NOT remove its "Profile.ini" and "xxxxxxx.default" files in the appropriate directories on the C: drive. Thus, a reinstallation of TB picks up the old undeleted profiles and that's why you keep having the "incoming server already exists" problem. In XP/2000 navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\. In Vista and Win7, navigate to C:\users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\. You will see a subdirectory named "Profiles", and also the "profiles.ini" file. Delete the "ini" file and go into the Profiles subdirectory. There you will find the "xxxxxxx.default" file, which you can now delete.