[Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Ngamer01

Re: [Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Post by Ngamer01 »

guid wrote:hi, not work with 3.6 pre beta 1&2, it won't check updates even I set it to check every 6 hours.

guid, you or anyone else wanting alpha, beta, branch, and trunk support aren't going to get it since Update Notifier only got updated for Firefox 3.5 after Firefox 3.5 launched and the author doesn't actively post in this thread anymore.

So don't expect Firefox 3.6 support until next year if the author plans to continue Update Notifier updates.
Neustradamus

Post by Neustradamus »

Neustradamus wrote:Hello,
Can you update your addons for Firefox 3.6b1pre and 3.7a1pre ?
Thanks in advance

Please
wmhb1

Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - menu bar icon missing

Post by wmhb1 »

My Update Notifier icon has also disappeared from the "menu bar." It is not in the icons available when you customize the menu tool bar. There is a little icon that shows up in the status bar when you select that option. I would prefer to have the icon in the menu bar where it was formerly located. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling this extension to no avail. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!
Ngamer01

Re: Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - menu bar icon missing

Post by Ngamer01 »

wmhb1 wrote:My Update Notifier icon has also disappeared from the "menu bar." It is not in the icons available when you customize the menu tool bar. There is a little icon that shows up in the status bar when you select that option. I would prefer to have the icon in the menu bar where it was formerly located. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling this extension to no avail. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

Open Update Notifier's options and go to the Toolbar pane. Tick the Display box to have the Update Notifier toolbar icon to always display no matter what. Untick it to have the icon only show up when you have extension and/or theme updates available to download.

Tick the Statusbar box below to display/hide the Update Notifier Status Bar icon. The Display option above the Statusbar option also applies to the Statusbar option, so take the Display option into consideration when configuring the Statusbar option.

If you want to avoid having both the toolbar and Status Bar icons display at once, you can hide the toolbar icon in the Customize window (right-click a toolbar in Firefox and select "Customize...") if you want to keep the Status Bar icon. Or you can tick the Statusbar option if you want to hide the Status Bar icon and keep the toolbar icon.
wmhb1

Post by wmhb1 »

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm familiar with the setup process. The "display box" is ticked now and always has been. That's why I'm puzzled. Ticking that box used to mean that the Update Notifier displayed in the menu bar near the top of the screen. Now, it's gone from there and the only way to see it is to also check the box to display it in the status bar at the bottom of the screen. I suppose I can get used to it there, but it's handier to have it at the top near the search box which is used much more frequently. Is it the installation of Firefox 3.5.6 that has caused the problem? Thanks again.

By the way, if there are more thoughts on a fix I'd appreciate them. WM
Roncan

Post by Roncan »

I have the latest version of notifier installed but it does not appear on the status bar. I went to 'customize toolbar' and added the icon but still nothing???
OOps, just found the other posts, now its okay.
Sorry
Johsnon

Post by Johsnon »

If one use the Update Notifier built-in "restart Firefox" function (e.g. click on the symbol, then restart Firefox), Firefox will be closed (firefox.exe will be terminated), then automatically reopened and its window position is exact the same as before the restart - even if the window was slightly off-screen.
How does Update Notifier do that? :shock:
I want to use the same method for my problem in "Remember window position even if slighlty off-screen?", if that's possible off course [-o<
mschmidt_glz

Post by mschmidt_glz »

Update Notifier is a very good Extension but it does at this time not work under Thunderbird 3.0.
Neustradamus

Post by Neustradamus »

I think that this extension will be never updated.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Neustradamus wrote:I think that this extension will be never updated.

In the absence of updates from the author, you can 'bump' the extension yourself to enable it to work with any version of Firefox, and it does work with Namoroka & Minefield.

Here's how I do it (and many others).

This method involves modifying the extension itself. You have to change one value to allow your extension to install.

- Download the extension to your PC (You should end up with an *.xpi file)
- Open the downloaded *.xpi with any archiver (Winzip, Winrar, 7Zip etc.)
- Look for the file called install.rdf
- Open it with Notepad or similar (DO NOT use word, wordpad, etc)
- find the line that begins > <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id> which is the Firefox ID and follow left to right until you find <em:maxVersion>*.*</em:maxVersion> (Where *.* is a version number)
- change the version number to the version of your updated Mozilla Firefox, (3.8 will do it)
- Now save the install.rdf file and update the archive (Close and Save - DO NOT use any form of compression)
- You have now "bumped" the extension and it will now install and probably work again
- It has to be said that this method does not always work with all extensions, but it does with Update Notifier.

The same applies to Thunderbird users.
Thunderbird id > <em:id>{3550f703-e582-4d05-9a08-453d09bdfdc6}</em:id>

It will look like this:
<!-- Firefox -->
<em:targetApplication>
<Description>
<em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
<em:minVersion>1.5</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>3.8</em:maxVersion>
</Description>
</em:targetApplication>
Last edited by keithy397 on January 16th, 2010, 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
Keith
Neustradamus

Post by Neustradamus »

yes with Nightly Tester Tools too but it is not official.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Neustradamus wrote:yes with Nightly Tester Tools too but it is not official.

If the author was going to update his extension to work with a newer build of Firefox and not make any other changes to code etc., that is what he would do.
Cheers,
Keith
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

Update Notifier's author has not posted that development has been canceled anywhere, so this add-on is not abandoned currently.

I'm sure there will be an update eventually after 3.6 goes gold. It might takes some time though. Perhaps donations to the author of the add-on can help get an update out faster? ;)
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Fortunately, bumping Update Notifier to work with more recent versions of Firefox doesn't create any functionality problems in Firefox as some others do (Fireuploader to name but one (shame too)) but this extension was last updated by the author in July 2009 (on AMO). On his website, it is still showing version 0.1.5.4 from sometime in 2008.

I'm not suggesting the author has abondoned this extension, but when you get extensions as valuable as this I, personally am not going to wait in hope for an update! Indeed, many of my extensions in Minefield are bumped.
Cheers,
Keith
hardly

Post by hardly »

Firefox 3.6 (from tar.gz) on Debian Lenny not play well with Update Notifier. Firefox will *restart* after install Update Notifier extension, but after that Firefox won't start if Update Notifier enabled. No errors, even when start with "/opt/firefox/firefox -jconsole". Can only start with "/opt/firefox/firefox -safe-mode".

FWIW the same happen with other Todd Long extension Gmail Manaer.

Mozilla/5.0
X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2
Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6

EXTENSIONS
========
InfoLister 0.10.3
Update Notifier 0.1.5.5

THEMES
=====

PLUGINS
=====
Default Plugin