HP Smart Web printing 4.60 (makes a mess)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
KIH999

HP Smart Web printing 4.60 (makes a mess)

Post by KIH999 »

Hi there..
Not actually a support-issue, just to inform other users.
Firefox on Win7 home premium (64) here with a few exstensions (NoScript adblock Fireftp & Web Developer)
HP did an update, after a reboot some of the items in the dropdown-menu was "empty" and there was "many holes"..
Had to start firefox in safe-mode disable all extensions, turned them on, one by one. When HP Smart Web printing was turned on, menu became a mess again.

So folks, if menu is filled with many blank menu-items, try to disable "HP Smart Web"..
Last edited by KIH999 on December 31st, 2009, 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
teoli2003

Re: HP Smart Web printing 4.60 (makes a mess)

Post by teoli2003 »

Have you notified HP?
KIH999

Post by KIH999 »

No, have not reported this to HP..
I don't do much printing from browser, and i'm happy without it.. ;)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

One of the high-end users here gave me this script last year to do what looks to be what that HP stuff does... I also don't use it much but when I have... it has never failed.

I created a bookmark and placed this code that the person gave me into it's location section....

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){if(window['ppw']&&ppw['bookmarklet']){ppw.bookmarklet.toggle();}else{window._pwyl_home='http://www.printwhatyoulike.com/';window._pwyl_pro_id=null;window._pwyl_bmkl=document.createElement('script');window._pwyl_bmkl.setAttribute('type','text/javascript');window._pwyl_bmkl.setAttribute('src',window._pwyl_home+'static/compressed/pwyl_bookmarklet_10.js');window._pwyl_bmkl.setAttribute('pwyl','true');document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(window._pwyl_bmkl);}})();

I placed that bookmark onto my Bookmark Tools bar and then changed it's icon to a printer using the extension Favicon Picker.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Ah, Aardvark++ for printing. This is the same as the bookmarklet hosted on http://www.printwhatyoulike.com. Thank you for turning me on to it. It tried it out, and like you, I doubt I'll use it much, but I'm keeping it handy.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

You're welcome... I got it from one of our high-quality supporters on one of these threads.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
mlykke75

Post by mlykke75 »

I recently installed an update of HP's Smart Web Printing and though none of us intend to use it much, it may come in handy one day and as such it should work. Therefore, a browser looking like this isn't nice: http://s3.amazonaws.com/scrnshots.com/s ... b_printpng.

I popped into the HP support forum and it seems that there's quite a fuss over the compatibility issue between FF and HP SWP so I guess we'll just have to wait. For now, I disabled this feature in FF.