Can't get rid of Yahoo Search

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Aaron1987

Can't get rid of Yahoo Search

Post by Aaron1987 »

One of the best things about the Mozilla Firefox browser is the quick and accurate searches, where I can simply type words like 'youtube' into the top bar and the websites will instantly come up, now however I cannot do this. Whenever I type keywords into the browser bar Yahoo Search comes up with a list of searched websites (just like google does). This is really annoying. What is also annoying they seem to have designed it so I cant just quickly and easily get rid of it for good. I have clicked the smaller search bar on the top right on Firefox, clicked the dropdown list and removed Yahoo but it still comes back. When I went into the folder in program files and deleted it, it stopped me searching completely and full website addresses didn't even work!

How do I get rid of Yahoo Search!!!!!!!!
DanRaisch

Re: Can't get rid of Yahoo Search

Post by DanRaisch »

See if this article helps you -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Location_Bar_search
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

1. Open the Tools menu and choose Add-ons, then Extensions.
  2. If you have any extensions from Yahoo!, select them and click the Uninstall button. If the Uninstall button is grayed out, click the Disable button instead. Restart Firefox for the change to take effect.
  3. In the address bar, type about:config and press Enter.
  4. Press the big button to bypass the warning.
  5. In the Filter: bar, type keyword.
  6. In the search results, if keyword.URL and keyword.enabled appear in bold text, right-click them and choose Reset.
Aaron1987

Post by Aaron1987 »

DanRaisch, I tried the Google "Browse by Name" option but when i restart Firefox it changes back to http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?fr=gr ... =966134&p= as the keyword search thingy

Gingerbread, when i go to add-ons and then extensions I can't see anything to do with yahoo there at all. Again I tried the about:config and reset the keywords but when I restart Firefox it goes back to its old ways (yahoo damn search)

Another thing is when I start Firefox and box pops up saying "Your search settings have been reset to your default settings" I guess it must think Yahoo is the default settings!
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Also check for any Yahoo! plug-ins under Tools > Add-ons > Plugins.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Also look for the Yahoo Search Bar under Windows Add Remove Programs function.
Aaron1987

Post by Aaron1987 »

I've already tried that and it hasn't worked, so I guess it means reinstalling. How do I reinstall without losing my very important bookmarks ive built up over the years?

Also I think this Yahoo Search think should be looked into! It shouldnt be impossible to get rid of like this
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Uninstalling and reinstalling the application has absolutely no impact on your Profile, which is where saved preferences like your home page, bookmarks, passwords and user selected settings reside.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diag ... Firefox%29
CarolinaFaithful

Post by CarolinaFaithful »

DanRaisch, wouldn't resetting the browser.search.defaulturl and browser.search.defaultenginename preferences too be necessary?
DinoT1985

Post by DinoT1985 »

type about:config

Then type or look for keyword.URL

Right click on it and select Reset.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

CarolinaFaithful wrote:DanRaisch, wouldn't resetting the browser.search.defaulturl and browser.search.defaultenginename preferences too be necessary?

That would depend on what values were currently displayed. It's still not clear what is (or was) causing the issue.

DinoT1985 wrote:type about:config

Since filtering on "URL" will bring up a few dozen entries I hope you were not suggesting that the OP reset all of them.
DinoT1985

Post by DinoT1985 »

DanRaisch wrote:
CarolinaFaithful wrote:DanRaisch, wouldn't resetting the browser.search.defaulturl and browser.search.defaultenginename preferences too be necessary?

That would depend on what values were currently displayed. It's still not clear what is (or was) causing the issue.

DinoT1985 wrote:type about:config

Since filtering on "URL" will bring up a few dozen entries I hope you were not suggesting that the OP reset all of them.

No I do not nor advice it. I told him to filter keyword.URL

There is only one entry by that name.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're right. Sorry.
pwnd_yahoo

Post by pwnd_yahoo »

i had same problem ](*,) . yahoo sucks go here http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/arch ... ent-516033 do what it says. it will give your im feeling lucky google searches back [-o<
Aaron1987

Post by Aaron1987 »

I'm back after a long time away and still have the Yahoo search problem, all of the suggestions above have not worked!