Folding@Home

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Nitin

Folding@Home

Post by Nitin »

Folding@Home is a stanford project to compute protein folding patterns using idle cpu cycles. I've started a team for mozillazine.. hope some people can join.

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main ... mnum=39340

To join the team, all you need to do is download F@H software:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... nload.html
Console version is the best.

when its running, right-click the system-tray icon, configure and select team 39340

You can also change teams if already signed up..

Updates:

(Oct 25, 2004)
We're in the top 2000!

(Nov 13, 2004)
We're in the top 1000!

(Aug 1, 2005)
We're in the top 100!

(Oct 20, 2005)
Lets Celebrate!

(Apr 1, 2006)
10 Million Points
Rankings

Feb, 2007
20 Million
Last edited by Nitin on February 26th, 2007, 6:41 pm, edited 10 times in total.
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

That is a great idea!

I have my own private computers running as team nr 36796 for a few months, and i don't know if I want to rejoin another team, but no matter what team, this is probably the best way to use your idle CPU cycles.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
MeCasa
Folder@Home

Post by MeCasa »

I have fast computers sitting idle 80% of the time, but I'm maxing out bw at present, would I still be able to help ?
Sex is dirty only if it's done right .... Live and Let Live .... Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
...................................................... MeCasaEsSuCasa ................................................
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

I do not understand what "maxing out bw" means?

The folding process just takes whatever idling cycles there are, so unless you run 100% all the time you can, I would think.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
MeCasa
Folder@Home

Post by MeCasa »

I'm maxing out the bandwith in my internet connection, surely some bandwith is necessary for the computers to interact
Sex is dirty only if it's done right .... Live and Let Live .... Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
...................................................... MeCasaEsSuCasa ................................................
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

Ah ok - only rarely: the program downloads a "work package" - a description of what to do, which is a rather small file and then runs for a long time locally - when the WP is finished, the data is submitted and a new WP retrieved.

Sometimes the program updates itself or downloads a new WP-handler.
RAF

Post by RAF »

Can I join the same team with the same name from different computers? I have set it up at home now to join vfwlkr's team. Can I do the same at work (or on all 50 computers at work)?
Shadow3333

Post by Shadow3333 »

With SETI@HOME you could, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work in this case
To be clear-headed rather than confused; lucid rather than obscure; rational rather than otherwise; and to be neither more, nor less, sure of things than is justifiable by argument or evidence. That is worth trying for.
WINfried Dows

Post by WINfried Dows »

Why do you guys want to melt down your cpu just for nothing? For me, I even consider linux as a true cpu-melter.
VRWCAgent

Post by VRWCAgent »

Well, I just downloaded it and got it running.

WINfried Dows, at least in the Windows 5.02 version you can set the CPU % usage in the advanced tab of the configuration menu. I wouldn't think it is an issue if you're system is cooled properly. Johann_p, have you run into any issues with your CPUs being maxed for months?
Bye. Love to all. :)
old np

Post by old np »

Bad idea for laptops, IMO.
VRWCAgent

Post by VRWCAgent »

It even has that covered. Check the box in the advanced tab for "pause work while battery power is being used (for laptops)".

Here We Come A Wassailing - London Symphony Orchestra
MeCasa
Folder@Home

Post by MeCasa »

I think he meant because laptops get hot, which they do.
old np

Post by old np »

MeCasa wrote:I think he meant because laptops get hot, which they do.

Yes, I used a similar program on my old laptop. It would overheat and shut itself down if I left it in the wrong position. Not to mention your lap gets fried.
VRWCAgent

Post by VRWCAgent »

Ah, my apologies. I thought you were referring to power issues. Still, a combination of the power setting and possibly sliding the max cpu usage down would probably do the trick for laptops.

Btw, my first work unit has processed enough to give an estimate of when it will be completed. These buggers take a LONG time! And to think, all the stuff below assumes I'll not power off my system at all. I'm disappointed actually, but then again I have no idea what the norm is. Is this okay for an Athlon 1800XP (1.57GHz) and 512MB RAM?

Working on: p295_GROMACS core
Frames completed: 25/2500 2m:24s/frame
Next frame end: 11:57 Sun 3 Oct 04 (oops, just ended that frame!)
Work Unit End: 15:14 Thr 7 Oct 04 04d:03h:16m:48s

Boris Karloff - You're A Mean One Mr. Grinch