Firefox MSI install for corporate rollout (silent install)

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
DraconPern

Firefox MSI install for corporate rollout (silent install)

Post by DraconPern »

These are MSI's using files from the official exe install. It also installs the Flash plugin for mozilla. There is also a community edition which has Administrative Template support to lock settings. All languages are available.

These files will automagically upgrade your previous installs. For Active Directory users, don't forget to tell Active Directory that this package upgrades the previous one.

<b>The discussions on this thread is quite old. Pretty much all the problems have been solved and rolled into the MSI.</b>

Current Version : 2.0
Policy enabled 2.0 and associated adm files
http://www.frontmotion.com/FMFirefoxCE

Non-Policy enabled
http://www.frontmotion.com/Firefox

Packaging Service that can combine any of the above with extensions.
http://www.frontmotion.com/FirefoxPackager

-Eric
Last edited by DraconPern on October 29th, 2007, 3:42 pm, edited 34 times in total.
ehume

Post by ehume »

It works brilliantly! I was able to install and uninstall it easily and it went smoothly. Much much better than the current system. I recommend it for 1.0 final.

Now, how about a 2004-10-01 build? ;-)

Oh yes: Flash works fine, right out of the box.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
DraconPern

Post by DraconPern »

Now, how about a 2004-10-01 build?

Ok. =) Will try the aviary 2004-10-01 located here (unless 10-02 suddenly appears)
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... -01-12-0.9
Should be up before the weekend is over.

It's still not a total scripted solution, but it is very close. All I have to do is unzip, run the program once (& close), then run the packaging command. The only thing that no one has been able to answer is what's going on with the xpi and dll files? There's not a 1:1 between the zip and the exe. There seems to be many more files in the zip version...

Just as a note to other people, the MSI should work both interactively and through active directory.

-Eric
Look! I am in Lubbock! Waves to all the Texas Tech students. ;)
DraconPern

Post by DraconPern »

FireFox 0.10.1 MSI

This will automagically upgrade your previous version. For Active Directory Users: Don't forget to tell Active Directory that this package upgrades the previous one.

http://www.frontmotion.com/Firefox/Fire ... R-enUS.msi
-Eric Kuo
FrontMotion Login, Firefox MSI, and other software at www.frontmotion.com
Hello Lubbock, Texas!
Old Unghost

Post by Old Unghost »

DraconPern
Any chance that you can share your MSI script?
ehume

Post by ehume »

Bless you. The install went as smooth as could be. I will admit that I uninstalled the standard build first, but I've done that before without experiencing the trouble-free installation I just experienced.

This looks much more professional and Windows standard as well.

Although I download and test zip builds every night, I run them in a separate directory with a separate profile. However, as long as you make these MSI builds, I will be using them for my workaday build.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
CTho9305

Post by CTho9305 »

DraconPern wrote:The only thing that no one has been able to answer is what's going on with the xpi and dll files? There's not a 1:1 between the zip and the exe. There seems to be many more files in the zip version...

I believe the zip builds are built with enable_shared, whereas the EXE is disable_shared / enable_static. As I understand it, a static build dumps everything into one big EXE, whereas the non-static version puts all the libraries in separate files. You could verify this by going to about:buildconfig.
Sipaq

Post by Sipaq »

CTho9305 wrote:I believe the zip builds are built with enable_shared, whereas the EXE is disable_shared / enable_static. As I understand it, a static build dumps everything into one big EXE, whereas the non-static version puts all the libraries in separate files. You could verify this by going to about:buildconfig.

The aviary zip-build I downloaded yesterday was built with disable-shared/enable-static
Sunbird/Calendar project webmaster
Visit the Calendar developer blog
ieremiou

Post by ieremiou »

Moox's Highly used builds are --disable-shared and --enable-static builds.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20050922 Firefox/1.6a1 - Build ID: 2005092210
Waldo

Post by Waldo »

The executable builds contain a specific set of files determined by some build-config lists. As far as I know, zip builds aren't built with such a list - everything gets pulled in, so more junk's present.
neldog2

Post by neldog2 »

Perhaps I am mistaken but that looks more like a customized repackaged setup with a custom template then a scripted solution. I have done the same thing where I work. All I have to do is capture an installation apply a template and my msi is built. I use Installshield Adminstudio. However, if this is a script can you post it? Thanks.
Uruviel

Post by Uruviel »

Excelent! they should use this on the 1.0 Windows Final
DraconPern

Source for script

Post by DraconPern »

Code: Select all

;--- Include MAKEMSI support ------------------------------------------------
#include "DraconPern.MMH"

<$AbortIf Condition=^not VersionNT OR (VersionNT < 400)^ Message=^Can only be installed on WinNT, Windows 2000, XP or greater.^>

<$DirectoryTree Key="INSTALLDIR" DIR="[ProgramFilesFolder]\Mozilla Firefox" CHANGE="\" PrimaryFolder="Y">

<$Feature "F_FirefoxMain" Title="Browser" Description="Main Firefox files" Attributes="FavorLocal UIDisallowAbsent">

<$FilesExclude "firefox\firefox.exe" EXLIST="NotThese">

<$Icon KEY="@Firefoxicon" ".\firefox.ico">

<$Component "C_FirefoxMain" Directory_="[INSTALLDIR]">
        <$File Source="firefox\firefox.exe" KeyPath="Y" RowKey="firefox.exe">

#(
            <$Shortcut                       
                   Feature="."                             ;;Advertise current
                     Title="Mozilla Firefox"
               Description="Run Mozilla Firefox (Version <$ProductVersion>)."
                      Icon="@Firefoxicon"
                   WorkDir="INSTALLDIR"
                       Dir="[ProgramMenuFolder]\Mozilla Firefox"
            >
        #)

#(
            <$Shortcut                       
                     Title="Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)"
               Description="Run Mozilla Firefox in Safe Mode(Version <$ProductVersion>)."
                      Icon="@Firefoxicon"
                   WorkDir="INSTALLDIR"
                 Arguments="-savemode"
            >
        #)

;#(
        ;    <$Shortcut                       
        ;           Feature="."                             ;;Advertise current
        ;             Title="Mozilla Firefox"
        ;       Description="Run Mozilla Firefox (Version <$ProductVersion>)."
        ;              Icon="@Firefoxicon"
        ;           WorkDir="INSTALLDIR"
        ;               Dir="[DesktopFolder]"
        ;    >
        ;#)

#(
            <$Shortcut                       
                     Title="Profile Manager"
               Description="Run Mozilla Firefox Profile Manager."
                      Icon="@Firefoxicon"
                   WorkDir="INSTALLDIR"
                 Arguments="-profilemanager"
            >
         #)

<$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\firefox.exe" Name="Path" Value="[#firefox.exe]" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="SOFTWARE\Classes\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-xpinstall;app=firefox" Name="Extension" Value=".xpi">

; for Java
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla" Name="CurrentVersion" Value="1.6">

<$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox" Name="CurrentVersion" Value="1.0PR (en-US)">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox\1.0PR (en-US)\Main" Name="Program Folder Path" Value="[ProgramMenuFolder]\Mozilla Firefox\" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox\1.0PR (en-US)\Main" Name="Install Directory" Value="[INSTALLDIR]" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox\1.0PR (en-US)\Main" Name="PathToExe" Value="[#firefox.exe]" MsiFormatted="VALUE">

<$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 1.0PR" Name="GeckoVer" Value="1.0.1">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 1.0PR\bin" Name="PathToExe" Value="[#firefox.exe]" MsiFormatted="VALUE">

<$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 1.0PR\Extensions" Name="Components" Value="[INSTALLDIR]Components" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 1.0PR\Extensions" Name="Plugins" Value="[INSTALLDIR]Plugins" MsiFormatted="VALUE">       

<$/Component>

<$Files "firefox\*.*" SubDir="TREE" DestDir="INSTALLDIR" EXLIST="NotThese">

;<$Files "firefox\*.*" DestDir="INSTALLDIR">   
    ;<$Files "firefox\chrome\*.*" SubDir="TREE" DestDir="[INSTALLDIR]\chrome">
    ;<$Files "firefox\components\*.*" SubDir="TREE" DestDir="[INSTALLDIR]\components">           
    ;<$Files "firefox\defaults\*.*" SubDir="TREE" DestDir="[INSTALLDIR]\defaults">   
    ;<$Files "firefox\extensions\*.*" SubDir="TREE" DestDir="[INSTALLDIR]\extensions">
    ;<$Files "firefox\greprefs\*.*" SubDir="TREE" DestDir="[INSTALLDIR]\greprefs">
    ;<$Files "firefox\plugins\*.*" SubDir="TREE" DestDir="[INSTALLDIR]\plugins">
    ;<$Files "firefox\res\*.*" SubDir="TREE" DestDir="[INSTALLDIR]\res">
    ;<$Files "firefox\searchplugins\*.*" SubDir="TREE" DestDir="[INSTALLDIR]\searchplugins">   

<$/Feature>

<$Feature "F_ShellIntegration" Title="Integrate firefox into shell" Description="Set up file association and protocal mappings to use firefox">
    <$DllCa Binary="?" SEQ=5210 Entry="RestoreIExplore"  Condition="<$DLLCA_CONDITION_UNINSTALL_ONLY>" DLL="RestoreIExplore.dll" Description="Restoring Internet Explorer shell integration">

; http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/browser/components/shell/src/nsWindowsShellService.cpp
    <$Component "C_ShellIntegration" Directory_="SystemFolder">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\FirefoxHTML\DefaultIcon" Value="[#firefox.exe],1" Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE" KeyPath="Y">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\FirefoxHTML\shell\open\command" Value=^[#firefox.exe] -url "%1"^ Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">

<$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\CHROME\DefaultIcon" Value="[#firefox.exe],1" Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\CHROME\shell\open\command" Value=^[#firefox.exe] -url "%1"^ Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\CHROME\shell\open\ddeexec" Value=^"%1",,-1,0,,,,^ Type="STRING">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\CHROME\shell\open\ddeexec\application" Value="Firefox" Type="STRING">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\CHROME\shell\open\ddeexec\topic" Value="WWW_OpenURL" Type="STRING">     
    <$/Component>

<$Component "C_ShellIntegrationXP" Condition="VersionNT>=501" Directory_="SystemFolder">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\firefox.exe" Name="LocalizedString" Value="Mozilla Firefox" Type="STRING" KeyPath="Y">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\firefox.exe\DefaultIcon" Value="[#firefox.exe],0" Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\firefox.exe\shell\open\command" Value="[#firefox.exe]" Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\firefox.exe\shell\properties" Value="Firefox &Options" Type="STRING">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\firefox.exe\shell\properties\command" Value=^[#firefox.exe] -chrome "chrome://browser/content/pref.xul"^ Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">

<$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\firefox.exe\InstallInfo" Name="HideIconsCommand" Value=^"[#firefox.exe]" -silent^ Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\firefox.exe\InstallInfo" Name="IconsVisible" Value="1" Type="DWORD">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\firefox.exe\InstallInfo" Name="ReinstallCommand" Value=^"[#firefox.exe]" -silent -nosplash -setDefaultBrowser^ Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
        <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\firefox.exe\InstallInfo" Name="ShowIconsCommand" Value=^"[#firefox.exe]" -silent^ Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
    <$/Component> 

<$Feature "F_SetDefaultBrowser" Title="Set Default Browser" Description="Set Mozilla Firefox as the default browser" Level="4">
        <$Component "C_SetDefaultBrowser" Directory_="SystemFolder">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\.htm" Value="FirefoxHTML" Type="STRING">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\.html" Value="FirefoxHTML" Type="STRING">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\.shtml" Value="FirefoxHTML" Type="STRING">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\.xht" Value="FirefoxHTML" Type="STRING">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\.xhtml" Value="FirefoxHTML" Type="STRING">

<$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\http\DefaultIcon" Value="[#firefox.exe],1" Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\http\shell\open\command" Value=^[#firefox.exe] -url "%1"^ Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\http\shell\open\ddeexec" Value=^"%1",,-1,0,,,,^ Type="STRING">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\http\shell\open\ddeexec\application" Value="Firefox" Type="STRING">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\http\shell\open\ddeexec\topic" Value="WWW_OpenURL" Type="STRING">     

<$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\https\DefaultIcon" Value="[#firefox.exe],1" Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\https\shell\open\command" Value=^[#firefox.exe] -url "%1"^ Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\https\shell\open\ddeexec" Value=^"%1",,-1,0,,,,^ Type="STRING">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\https\shell\open\ddeexec\application" Value="Firefox" Type="STRING">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\https\shell\open\ddeexec\topic" Value="WWW_OpenURL" Type="STRING">     

<$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\ftp\DefaultIcon" Value="[#firefox.exe],1" Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\ftp\shell\open\command" Value=^[#firefox.exe] -url "%1"^ Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\ftp\shell\open\ddeexec" Value=^"%1",,-1,0,,,,^ Type="STRING">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\ftp\shell\open\ddeexec\application" Value="Firefox" Type="STRING">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\ftp\shell\open\ddeexec\topic" Value="WWW_OpenURL" Type="STRING">     

<$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\gopher\DefaultIcon" Value="[#firefox.exe],1" Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\gopher\shell\open\command" Value=^[#firefox.exe] -url "%1"^ Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\gopher\shell\open\ddeexec" Value=^"%1",,-1,0,,,,^ Type="STRING">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\gopher\shell\open\ddeexec\application" Value="Firefox" Type="STRING">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Classes\gopher\shell\open\ddeexec\topic" Value="WWW_OpenURL" Type="STRING">     

<$/Component>

<$Component "C_SetDefaultBrowserXP" Condition="VersionNT>=501" Directory_="SystemFolder">
            <$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet" Value="firefox.exe" Type="STRING" KeyPath=Y>
        <$/Component>
    <$/Feature>

<$/Feature>

<$Feature "F_Flash" Title="Macromedia Flash Plugin" Description="Macromedia Flash Plugin for Mozilla Firefox">

<$Files "flash\*.*" SubDir="TREE" DestDir="INSTALLDIR">

<$/Feature>

<$Table "Control">
    #(
        <$Row
                   @Where="Control = 'Bitmap'"
                    @OK="=8"
               Attributes="1048577"
                    Width="100"
        >
    #)
<$/Table>

<$Summary        "TITLE"  VALUE="Installation Database">
<$Summary       "AUTHOR"  Value="FrontMotion">
<$Summary     "KEYWORDS"  Value="FrontMotion, Mozilla, Firefox Installer">
<$Summary     "SECURITY"  Value="2">
<$Summary    "MsiSchema"  Value="110">
Last edited by DraconPern on October 13th, 2004, 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DraconPern

Post by DraconPern »

The script is for MAKEMSI by Dennis Bareis.

You need a company/dept specific mmh file, see the MAKEMSI documents on how to do this.
You need a .VER file that contains version specific output info.

My Guid.UpgradeCode = {128C06F4-A04E-4FA6-9397-5429513396ED}.
My VER also contains the following to upgrade other packages (untested).
; UpgradeCodes = {0670AC41-6825-4FCF-B4C6-42EBAB66BD05} {D489A241-B27A-4093-8B67-FE18B076EB33}
;; http://biomicro.mit.edu/people/patpaul/mozilla-msi.html
;; http://www.webheat.co.uk/firefox.php

To have a firefox icon for ARP, you need to have firefox.ico in the same directory. (from CVS)
The Leftside.bmp contains graphic for the left side of the installer. Mine was made from watermrk.bmp.
License.rtf should contain the MPL.
The official zip file should be extracted to the .\firefox directory with path.
For flash support, you need to get a distribution license from Macromedia, and put the plug-in files in the .\flash\plugins directory. (This is for my convience)
The RestoreIExplore.dll file is used to restore IExplorer associations after an uninstall. (For my convience too)

So here's how I make a new release with a new zipfile, after everything above is done.
Delete .\firefox. Download new zip, and unpack. Edit VER file with new version info.
Make sure all firefox instances are not running, and you are an admin. Run the firefox.exe from the .\firefox directory, this will let firefox have a chance to create some files that are not in the zip. Close firefox. (I wonder if I can use the same generated file each time? But since it's not in CVS, I choose this safe method).
Run mm.exe in the current directory. Or 'mm.exe P' for production mode.

I just realized there's some minor mistakes. I mispelled protocol. It might not install on NT 4/didn't test it. Source is provided here only for reference. If you have used MAKEMSI before, you should be able to build your own MSI pretty easily from the MAKEMSI documentation (I followed all the standard procedures for the other support files). Tested against MAKEMSI 04.261 with a custom MAKEMSI fix from Dennis Bareis (not sure if it is in the latest version?). The fix is for the $Files directive for handling of the curly braces in the GUID. If you have never used ORCA, have only used a capture tool, or a visual packager, you may want to read the MSDN documentations also.

It takes about 5mins on my system to build when it works.

Lastly, if you think there is an error, have a suggestion, a fix, etc let me know preferebly by email.

-Eric
Gieltje

Post by Gieltje »

I will try to port it to nsis (best for what I am trying to do).

But can someone please HELP me with this: "How do I automaticly set the proxy settings for firefox right after install"?

I have broken my brains on it, and have made a 150 line long nsis script to find the prefs.js (there are the settings made), and overwrite that. But that isnt fail safe since more people can have installed firefox.
$PROFILE\Application Data\Mozilla\FireFox\Profiles\something.default
the something.default changes per install. (I am trying to roll out firefox on a load of computers without having to set 1001 pc's to the correct proxy.