ac_add_options --enable-crypto
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-mailnews
ac_add_options --disable-composer
ac_add_options --enable-optimize=-O2
ac_add_options --disable-ldap
ac_add_options --disable-mailnews
ac_add_options --enable-extensions=default,-inspector,-irc,-venkman,-content-packs,-help
ac_add_options --enable-plaintext-editor-only
ac_add_options --enable-xft
ac_add_options --without-system-nspr
ac_add_options --without-system-zlib
ac_add_options --without-system-jpeg
ac_add_options --without-system-png
ac_add_options --without-system-mng

Hi
you could use the above .mozconfig file and compile your own build with xft.
The source for 0.6 is in the fb download dir.
Its fairly easy to compile your own build. The only time required is for the beast to compile.
if you need help on compiling ure own build let me know.

cheers,

chrookee
Linux + Firebird + gtk2 + XFT is neat.
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

Thanks for the tip chrookee.
I managed to compile MozillaFirebird for my system and I have a question.
How can I extract a package out of the whole building directory?

When I run 'make' in '~/mozilla/xpinstall/packager' it returns an error message:

make: *** No rule to make target `../../dist/bin/mozilla-bin', needed by `mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz'. Stop.

I would like to produce a compressed file to archive and get rid of the build directory. How can I do that?
Thanks for the tip.
iarnell

Post by iarnell »

make MOZ_PKG_FORMAT=BZ2 MOZ_PKG_APPNAME=MozillaFirebird MOZILLA_BIN="\$(DIST)/bin/MozillaFirebird-bin"
chrookee

Post by chrookee »

iarnell wrote:make MOZ_PKG_FORMAT=BZ2 MOZ_PKG_APPNAME=MozillaFirebird MOZILLA_BIN="\$(DIST)/bin/MozillaFirebird-bin"

thanks for that..

cheers,

c
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

Success!!!
It worked. I compiled firebird and extracted an archive file.
Thanks all for your help! I have the build available if someone wants it or wishes to put it on his site.
It is built with xft and gkt on slackware 9
Lost User 6962

Post by Lost User 6962 »

pr0c wrote:Ohhhh! Thanks :) I'd rather use suns latest beta anyway. I don't feel right running non-beta software hehe

Hmm. Maybe off topic. I read that Sun's JRE 1.4.2 beta has GTK native look and feel. Doess Firebird use the native version of JRE?

T
pr0c

Post by pr0c »

thalavoy wrote:
pr0c wrote:Ohhhh! Thanks :) I'd rather use suns latest beta anyway. I don't feel right running non-beta software hehe

Hmm. Maybe off topic. I read that Sun's JRE 1.4.2 beta has GTK native look and feel. Doess Firebird use the native version of JRE?

T

I don't really notice anything different but i think that is a result from the applets i'm running. Do you any good example one for me to look at?
stodge

Post by stodge »

What changes would need to be made to the build for Firebird to support anti-alised fonts in the Gui as well as in rendered web pages?

Having Firebird working with anti-aliased fontrs in pages is awesome thanks!

Thanks
sweeze

Post by sweeze »

thalavoy wrote:

T

to get the native GTK-ish look, the java application has to specificially request it by calling UIManager.setLookAndFeel("string that means the gtk look and feel");

and it looks pretty bad if you don't use a pixmap-based GTK theme or bluecurve :) [i like crux]
teksaver

Post by teksaver »

works perfectly on MDK 9.1; would be great to get the same with the localized french build now :)

Thx for this build
imnes

Post by imnes »

Laurentbon wrote:Success!!!
It worked. I compiled firebird and extracted an archive file.
Thanks all for your help! I have the build available if someone wants it or wishes to put it on his site.
It is built with xft and gkt on slackware 9

I would appreciate a copy to host for a few people on my site. Send me a PM if you've still got it (or just email me and let me know). I'll give you login for my FTP site so you can send it.

Thanks,
Nick
AkiAki007

Post by AkiAki007 »

I don't know if it's already been said in this thread or not, but the gentoo ebuild posted on the boards works great. I don't know how well the fonts will work with an older XFree, since I recently upgraded to 4.3.0-r2 (which removed xft), but perhaps those conidering on getting firebird to compile with xft, it might be a good time to upgraded to cvs xfree and then many font problems will start to go away as with a more unified font architecture. I believe it now only uses fontconfig
jasonlotito

SuSE 8.2

Post by jasonlotito »

Just wanted to verify that the build works flawlessly on SuSE 8.2.
My other computer is your Windows PC.
vladc

Post by vladc »

thanks guys, the xft builds are great. the only problem is that although xft works on the web pages, the font that is used for the menus and stuff in firebird are in this really small, ugly serif font. i've tried editing the userChrome.css file and it doesn't change anything. i've tried this several times with a few different xft builds i've found. i'm using red hat 9, gnome, and the bluecurve them. what am i doing wrong?
nüblar
chrookee

Post by chrookee »

vladc wrote:thanks guys, the xft builds are great. the only problem is that although xft works on the web pages, the font that is used for the menus and stuff in firebird are in this really small, ugly serif font. i've tried editing the userChrome.css file and it doesn't change anything. i've tried this several times with a few different xft builds i've found. i'm using red hat 9, gnome, and the bluecurve them. what am i doing wrong?

You probably need to get a build with both XFT and GTK2 then in the RH Preferences menu there should be a font menuItem. Use that to select your fonts and set the default sizes. This will be picked up by Firebird. You could use the .mozconfig file posted in this forums and compile ure own build. You will require an additional line in the file "ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=gtk2" to enable gtk2. The FB app then behaves like a regular gtk2 app.

Or check out this thread...
http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11609

cheers,

c