Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins, II

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
sasquatch

Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins, II

Post by sasquatch »

So, now that the newest nightly builds have a lot of the tab features built in, what course are people going to take.

Maybe we could start by some people listing what tab related extensions are working or broken with current nightly builds. From there, some suggestions as to what needs improvement or what can be done away with (Single Window?).

Carry on...
yud

Post by yud »

I just installed a 2004/10/05 nightly build, and I set the options to try to force single window mode, but some javascript links still open in new windows. For example, my webmail client uses this javascript for clicking on the 'compose' link: javascript:open_compose_win('popup=1&to=&cc=&bcc=&msg=&subject=&thismailbox=INBOX'); and that gets opened in a new window still.

Previously I always used TBE, but the latest versions of it block javascript popups instead of simply opening them in a new tab or window, which means that I can't compose emails at all with my webmail.

To reproduce some of the TBE funtions that I liked, I've installed the following extensions:
Duplicate Tab
UndoCloseTab
MiniT
Tab Clicking Options
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

Well, these extensions are all working for me & are still necessary to accommodate for not using TBE:

<b>Tab Clicking Options</b> - to be able to reload tab with double click
<b>miniT (drag + indicator)</b> - for tab drag & drop
<b>ReloadEvery</b> - to reload the page automatically
<b>undoclosetab</b> - to recover from small oopsie moments
<b>sessionsaver</b> - to recover from big oopsie moments
<b>TBP</b> - will be necessary once .6.15 and beyond come out

Javascript popups can now be adjusted with browser.link.open_newwindow
Last edited by tolremeno on October 5th, 2004, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Oh yeah:

Enabled Extensions: (16)

Tab related ones:
Disable Targets For Downloads 0.6
Duplicate Tab 0.3
Tab Clicking Options 0.1.1
text/plain 1.1.1
undoclosetab 20040910
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

yud wrote:I just installed a 2004/10/05 nightly build, and I set the options to try to force single window mode, but some javascript links still open in new windows. For example, my webmail client uses this javascript for clicking on the 'compose' link: javascript:open_compose_win('popup=1&to=&cc=&bcc=&msg=&subject=&thismailbox=INBOX'); and that gets opened in a new window still.

Does this hidden setting (javascript only) help? Checked in for 2004/10/04:
Fixed: Divert featureless window.open calls to tabs.

If you select "Force links that open new windows to open in: a new tab", Firefox diverts links with target="_blank". It also diverts JavaScript window.open() calls, but only calls that don't specify window features (e.g. size and which toolbars are displayed). Most calls to window.open() specify the size of the window. You can change this by setting the browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction pref in about:config.

* 0: divert window.open() (what I use)
* 1: don't divert window.open()
* 2: divert window.open() without features (default)

I understand that TBP will reveal these options using easy-to-understand language.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Mini-T wasn't working for me.

What I want is to be able to have a scrollable list of tabs, and to be able to drag tabs to rearrange or reorder them. Is Mini-T what I want for this, or is there something simpler?

Where can I find a working version of Mini-T? I am confused by all the versions out there, so just skipped it for now until some new ones come out "post tab fix".
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

The developers attempted to make Blanklast no longer required with the checkins to Bug 248987 - When closing last tab the tab bar disappears indefinitely until new tab is opened. However, it isn't complete; I just filed Bug 263003 - Inconsistent behavior for "Hide Tab bar when only one website is open"=FALSE (and would love a confirmation from someone on that).

Additionally, as described in this comment, the history is not cleared when the tab is blanked.

Perhaps we could get a new version of blanklast to handle these issues? I suspect the developers will WONTFIX my bug.
yud

Post by yud »

thenightfly42 wrote:Does this hidden setting (javascript only) help? Checked in for 2004/10/04:

I set that option to 0, which should force all javascript to open in new tabs instead of new windows, right? I may have misunderstood the options

sasquatch wrote:Where can I find a working version of Mini-T? I am confused by all the versions out there, so just skipped it for now until some new ones come out "post tab fix".

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=161

I downloaded the 'enhanced' version that's posted at the bottom.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

I really need two things. One I can solve without TBE and the other I can't so far as I know. The one I can't solve is having a decent context menu for tabs including in particular the option to close tabs to the left or to the right of the current tab. Is there any small extension out there that does this currently?

Mossop
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

mossop wrote:I really need two things. One I can solve without TBE and the other I can't so far as I know. The one I can't solve is having a decent context menu for tabs including in particular the option to close tabs to the left or to the right of the current tab. Is there any small extension out there that does this currently?

Mossop

I think I used to use either "X" or "Tab X" for this. I knew I was missing something. I recently did a new profile, and haven't added back all the extensions I used to have. Some of them are either out of date, problematic, hard to find, or I just haven't gotten around to it.
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

What I miss from TBE (other than having only one extension instead of a half dozen or so) is:
1) a progress meter in tabs
2) automatic, color-coded ordering of tabs
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

thenightfly42 wrote:
yud wrote:I just installed a 2004/10/05 nightly build, and I set the options to try to force single window mode, but some javascript links still open in new windows. For example, my webmail client uses this javascript for clicking on the 'compose' link: javascript:open_compose_win('popup=1&to=&cc=&bcc=&msg=&subject=&thismailbox=INBOX'); and that gets opened in a new window still.

Does this hidden setting (javascript only) help? Checked in for 2004/10/04:
Fixed: Divert featureless window.open calls to tabs.

If you select "Force links that open new windows to open in: a new tab", Firefox diverts links with target="_blank". It also diverts JavaScript window.open() calls, but only calls that don't specify window features (e.g. size and which toolbars are displayed). Most calls to window.open() specify the size of the window. You can change this by setting the browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction pref in about:config.

* 0: divert window.open() (what I use)
* 1: don't divert window.open()
* 2: divert window.open() without features (default)

I understand that TBP will reveal these options using easy-to-understand language.

Yup.

"Open these JavaScript popups in tabs: All Popups, Unresized Popups, No Popups"

"All Popups": 0
"Unresized Popups": 2
"No Popups": 1

If anybody wants better language now, say so before I trigger my own kind of i10n freeze ;)
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

TheOneKEA wrote:"Open these JavaScript popups in tabs: All Popups, Unresized Popups, No Popups"

"All Popups": 0
"Unresized Popups": 2
"No Popups": 1

If anybody wants better language now, say so before I trigger my own kind of i10n freeze ;)

Surely there is more to setting 2 than just size settings. Doesnt menubar/statusbar settings and other stuff affect it?

Mossop
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

sasquatch wrote:
mossop wrote:I really need two things. One I can solve without TBE and the other I can't so far as I know. The one I can't solve is having a decent context menu for tabs including in particular the option to close tabs to the left or to the right of the current tab. Is there any small extension out there that does this currently?

Mossop

I think I used to use either "X" or "Tab X" for this. I knew I was missing something. I recently did a new profile, and haven't added back all the extensions I used to have. Some of them are either out of date, problematic, hard to find, or I just haven't gotten around to it.

Just found it and installed it. Haven't restarted Firefox yet to see if it works, but am assuming it will.

Here:
Tab X 0.3, Places the tab close button on each tab

This will also do it for you:
Tab Clicking Options
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

sasquatch wrote:I think I used to use either "X" or "Tab X" for this. I knew I was missing something. I recently did a new profile, and haven't added back all the extensions I used to have. Some of them are either out of date, problematic, hard to find, or I just haven't gotten around to it.

Funnily the other thing I needed was a close button on the tabs which I have Tab X installed for and works nicely. But it doesnt give me the context menu options I need. In fact I don't think it alters the context menu at all.

Mossop