JSView 2.0.8-mod for SeaMonkey 2.1+ and Firefox 4+

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Philip Chee

JSView 2.0.8-mod for SeaMonkey 2.1+ and Firefox 4+

Post by Philip Chee »

http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html#jsview

Update: There is a new version available from AMO but despite claiming SeaMonkey compatibility, it doesn't work once installed. I've corrected the problems and uploaded it to my modified extensions website.

Cumulative modifications to date:
  • Updated install.rdf and chrome.manifest for SeaMonkey 2.1+ and Firefox 4.0+.
  • Overlay the SeaMonkey 2.0 PageInfo with jsviewPageInfoOverlay2.xul updated from my mod of 2.0.6.
  • Overlay the Firefox 3.0 PageInfo with jsviewPageInfoOverlay2.xul updated from my mod of 2.0.6.
  • SeaMonkey 2.1a1 now uses the toolkit viewSource. Add a version check.
  • Simplify the CSS for the JSView button in the PageInfo window.
  • See the diff file for other changes and details.

Install JSview 2.0.8-mod for Seamonkey 2.1+ and Firefox 4.0+
jsview-2.0.8-mod.xpi

==================================================
JSView appears to have been abandoned by the author. It hasn't been updated since July 2008. I have taken the latest version from https://addons.mozilla.org/ and updated it for SeaMonkey 2.0+ and Firefox 3.5+.

Install JSview 2.0.6-mod for Seamonkey 2.1+ and Firefox 4.0+
jsview-2.0.6-mod.xpi

Updates:
  • [fix] SeaMonkey 2.1 is now using the Toolkit View Source code.
  • No changes for Firefox 4.0.

Install JSview for Seamonkey 2.0 and Firefox 3.5+
jsview-2.0.5-mod.xpi

Updates:
  • [fix] Make JSView page info panes work in SeaMonkey 2.0 and Firefox 3.5.
  • [fix] Missing (??) file sizes in the JSView UI.

Known issues:
  • I don't have suitable graphics for the selector buttons in the Firefox PageInfo window so all you get is the generic squished PageInfo button.
Phil
Last edited by Philip Chee on January 7th, 2012, 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alan Baxter

Re: JSView 2.0.5-mod for SeaMonkey 2.0+ and Firefox 3.5+

Post by Alan Baxter »

Thank you, Phil. Looks good so far.
NanM

Post by NanM »

Wow! What a welcome return of functions that I missed from 2.x. For a non-geek, it saves so much research time.
Many thanks indeed. *L*
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

I've discovered a minor bug in my mod where in the Firefox PageInfo window you cannot open/view the files listed from the context menu. I've fixed this and silently updated the XPI on my website. If you face this problem, please reinstall from http://downloads.mozdev.org/xsidebar/mods/jsview-2.0.5-mod.xpi.

Cheers.

Phil
computerfreaker

Post by computerfreaker »

Thanks for the update, Phil!
Unfortunately, I've got a couple of not-so-minor bugs.
Bug #1: JSView still doesn't show all the scripts on a page in the View menu; it hides all the embedded scripts. Not sure how hard this is to implement, but maybe you could just have the appropriate menuitem say "[Embedded]" for embedded scripts?

Bug #2: Opening an embedded script from Tools -> Page Info -> Scripts doesn't actually open the embedded script - it opens the source for hxxp://www.undefined.com (link protocol changed in case the site's malicious; it doesn't appear to be, but I don't know for sure) instead. It looks like JSView tries to set an object to a certain JS file on the server; since the JS file isn't there, the object becomes undefined. Then, JSView tries opening the URL specified by the object; since the object is undefined, JSView opens the source for hxxp://www.undefined.com instead.

Thanks again for the update; keep it up!

computerfreaker
NanM

Post by NanM »

computerfreaker wrote:Bug #1: JSView still doesn't show all the scripts on a page in the View menu; it hides all the embedded scripts. Not sure how hard this is to implement, but maybe you could just have the appropriate menuitem say "[Embedded]" for embedded scripts?

Vote for this not being a bug. It would add unnecessary items to the riser "view" menu that is called from the status bar.
Most, as I understand the situation, use JSView for investigating external scripts; the Page Info window can easily be called for finding out about the existence of embedded stuff - it's designed for just this task.

Bug #2: Opening an embedded script from Tools -> Page Info -> Scripts doesn't actually open the embedded script[...]JSView opens the source for hxxp://www.undefined.com instead.

Good pickup.

@Phil Chee - If getting a source viewer for the embeddeds is a fiddle, I'm very happy to just View Source for embeddeds myself, once JSView has revealed their existence in the Page Info.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

computerfreaker wrote:Bug #2: Opening an embedded script from Tools -> Page Info -> Scripts doesn't actually open the embedded script - it opens the source for hxxp://www.undefined.com (link protocol changed in case the site's malicious; it doesn't appear to be, but I don't know for sure) instead. It looks like JSView tries to set an object to a certain JS file on the server; since the JS file isn't there, the object becomes undefined. Then, JSView tries opening the URL specified by the object; since the object is undefined, JSView opens the source for hxxp://www.undefined.com instead.

Sigh. It was a braino on my part. I thought I'd simplify some needlessly convoluted code. Unfortunately there was a subtle reason why Ron did it this way, so I broke embedded scripts.

Updated the XPI yet again:
http://downloads.mozdev.org/xsidebar/mods/jsview-2.0.5-mod.xpi

Phil
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Thanks again, Philip. I agree completely with NanM on issue #1. Thank you, computerfreaker, for finding bug #2. I hadn't evaluated that yet.

@NanM
Thank you for the New Year greetings I received by PM. Sorry I couldn't reply; you have your PM turned off. An alternative reply channel would be nice if you ever want to chat again (hint, hint).
computerfreaker

Post by computerfreaker »

computerfreaker wrote:Bug #2: Opening an embedded script from Tools -> Page Info -> Scripts doesn't actually open the embedded script - it opens the source for hxxp://www.undefined.com (link protocol changed in case the site's malicious; it doesn't appear to be, but I don't know for sure) instead. It looks like JSView tries to set an object to a certain JS file on the server; since the JS file isn't there, the object becomes undefined. Then, JSView tries opening the URL specified by the object; since the object is undefined, JSView opens the source for hxxp://www.undefined.com instead.

Philip Chee wrote:Sigh. It was a braino on my part. I thought I'd simplify some needlessly convoluted code. Unfortunately there was a subtle reason why Ron did it this way, so I broke embedded scripts.

Updated the XPI yet again:
http://downloads.mozdev.org/xsidebar/mods/jsview-2.0.5-mod.xpi

Phil

It's working now, thank you!

For bug #1, I guess I see the logic behind leaving embedded scripts out of the View menu. Since I turned off the JSView statusbar icon, I hadn't thought about that...

Cheers!

computerfreaker
NanM

Post by NanM »

@Phil Chee's mother
What a nice boy you have :-)
For the record, the opening-files-from-Page-Info bug in original-mod didn't show in Fx3.5.7

Howdy Alan Baxter
The Moz boards PMs are my Season's Greetings hub from which to send cards to some of those whose smtp addies I've lost over the years; I've never had PMs on since I opened this nick because all those who want to reply seemed to have found me by email.
I lost my old credentials and contacts when the old boards changed and decided that life was simpler without PMs on in this new nick; dealing with web board messages has always annoyed the heck out of me, as you already know I'm sure.
But please do PM now - I've turned it on just for you, you old hack ;-) Nice to read you again. We had 3 consecutive days of 41C-plus last week ;-)
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

NanM wrote:For the record, the opening-files-from-Page-Info bug in original-mod didn't show in Fx3.5.7

Oh, erm. I was testing against Minefield (Firefox 3.7a1pre). Sorry for the false alarm.

Phil
NanM

Post by NanM »

Philip Chee wrote:
Oh, erm. I was testing against Minefield (Firefox 3.7a1pre). Sorry for the false alarm.

Phil

Not alarmed, just adding to your dataset maybe if it was useful.
You can't tell I'm pleased to have JSView maintained again, by any chance? ;-)
dwmosman

Post by dwmosman »

I'm really pleased that you fixed this Phil. But now I see someone else has updated the official Mozilla add-on. Are these still your changes? Or if I "update" my add-on will your fixes go away?
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

dwmosman wrote:I'm really pleased that you fixed this Phil. But now I see someone else has updated the official Mozilla add-on. Are these still your changes? Or if I "update" my add-on will your fixes go away?

The official version at AMO hasn't been updated. The comment is in one of the reviews so it's just a random user with some modding skills. I just had a quick peek and it seems that all he did was to bump the maxVersion in the install.rdf without fixing the underlying problems in the code.

Phil
dwmosman

Post by dwmosman »

OK, I see it now. I should have read it more closely. Thanks Phil.

-- Doug