Why can't...

Discuss application theming and theme development.
WJTW

Why can't...

Post by WJTW »

Hi,

I am just curious. Why can't any Phoenix Theme 'takeover' the scrollbars, status bars, message boxes and widgets?

It seems to me that the ONLY thing changeable by Themes in Phoenix is the toolbar and its buttons...

Is it true that by working that way, the system wouldn't be taxed as much? Are the scrollbars rendered by Windows, therefore, making scrollbar changing impossible?

Hope someone could answer me on this...
WJTW
cdn

Re: Why can't...

Post by cdn »

WJTW wrote:Hi,

I am just curious. Why can't any Phoenix Theme 'takeover' the scrollbars, status bars, message boxes and widgets?

It seems to me that the ONLY thing changeable by Themes in Phoenix is the toolbar and its buttons...

Is it true that by working that way, the system wouldn't be taxed as much? Are the scrollbars rendered by Windows, therefore, making scrollbar changing impossible?

The themers of Phoenix are generally not experienced themers of Mozilla, most have chosen not to theme the toolbars, perhaps because they don't know what to change :)

Orbit 3+1 does theme toolbars/scrollbars, but then I've themed Mozilla :mrgreen:
cheeaun

Post by cheeaun »

Is it that to modify the scollbar.. I need to change the slider.gif?
Or maybe modify the scrollbars.css?
Phoenity http://phoenity.com/
You should follow me on Twitter here http://twitter.com/cheeaun
grayrest

Post by grayrest »

It is possible to do heavy modifications, and I am in the process of doing so. Unfortunately, the lack of DOM Inspector brings out the laziness in me and I refuse to skin under such conditions. I have the graphics done, but the CSS work is delayed for the time being.

classic.jar!/global/scrollbars.css is the file to edit.
cdn

no DOM Inspector ?

Post by cdn »

grayrest wrote:Unfortunately, the lack of DOM Inspector brings out the laziness in me and I refuse to skin under such conditions. I have the graphics done, but the CSS work is delayed for the time being.

if you build your own Phoenix, DOM inspector is available via the mozengineer add-on http://www.joehewitt.com/mozilla/mozengineer/
Ted Mielczarek

Re: no DOM Inspector ?

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

cdn wrote:if you build your own Phoenix, DOM inspector is available via the mozengineer add-on http://www.joehewitt.com/mozilla/mozengineer/

Just curious, why is it necessary to build your own Phoenix? What's missing in the default builds? Not having the DOM Inspector is a pain, and I really think it's holding up theme/addon development.
cdn

Re: no DOM Inspector ?

Post by cdn »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:Just curious, why is it necessary to build your own Phoenix? What's missing in the default builds? Not having the DOM Inspector is a pain, and I really think it's holding up theme/addon development.

building my own, I am guaranteed to get inspector.jar built,
whereas I've yet to download a build with it in, please correct me if I'm wrong about that : )
grayrest

Post by grayrest »

bah, I hate having to build myself. I tried just downloading inspector.jar then installing mozengineer, but that doesn't work. Maybe sometime over the weekend I'll set up a build.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

grayrest wrote:bah, I hate having to build myself. I tried just downloading inspector.jar then installing mozengineer, but that doesn't work. Maybe sometime over the weekend I'll set up a build.

It would be nice to find out what else is breaking this. Or maybe we could just bug Joe Hewitt to fix mozEngineer for Phoenix. :)
Vlaad.t.I

List Boxes

Post by Vlaad.t.I »

On this note, just out of curiosity, what's the listbox.css file useful for, since listbox layout is defined in the menulist.css file?

- Vlaad.t.I
Alfred Kayser

There are themes which style more...

Post by Alfred Kayser »

If you take a look at LittleMozilla and Wood at www.deskmod.org,
you will see that these also style the other bits: scrollbar, menu, etc.
LittlePhoenix, which is a LittleMozilla stripped down for Phoenix, provides a starting
set for your 'extended' theming adventure.