User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: determining which messages to index

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
Hmf

Post by Hmf »

it does this even without ANY messages at all - no upgrade, just clean install... and turning it off doesnt help....
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

A few details would help. Are you accessing a POP or IMAP type account? What version of Thunderbird do you have installed?
_litz

Post by _litz »

It's been my experience (tb 3.0 and 3.0.1 connecting to an IMAP server) that the global index function is just plain broken and unusable.

It indexes and re-indexes over and over and over and over, endlessly.

(this combined with 3.0.1's inability to keep msgs marked as read actually marked as read make it essentially a useless mail program)

any word on when this will be fixed?

- _litz
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Your experience is not universal, so it may be that the problem is not with the application itself but with something in your profile or it might be a bug involving Thunderbird's interaction with a particular IMAP server. With the Global Search and Indexing switched "On" I see no problems running version 3.0.1 of Thunderbird, and that includes messages being marked as read only when appropriate.

With Thunderbird closed you might try deleting the indexes to see if rebuilding them from scratch would resolve the problem.
OonlyBonly

Post by OonlyBonly »

Couple of questions about the indexing.
1) Will the search function still work correctly if I turn it off? I need a good search but this thing takes 2 minutes or more every time I start TBird.
2) Is there a possibility the indexing is interfering with the "get new mail" at startup? I always have to click on get mail the first time - even though I know new messages are there.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1. Global Search will be disabled but it will still be possible to search the contents of the current folder.

2. How recently have you compacted your folders? Compacting is something that needs to be done regularly in any email program. We recommend weekly, but many of us do it daily. When done often enough, it can be an extremely fast process. Not doing so can lead to problems like those you are experiencing. See this about how to and why it's so important: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

If you haven't been doing that before, first back up your Thunderbird Profile -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup then compact all folders. If 'compacting' them (and leaving a long enough time for the process to complete) doesn't fully resolve the problem then do the following on each account:

Close Thunderbird. Find and delete all of the files with the .msf file extension in your profile folder/Mail http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder#Thunderbird including your Local Folders, especially if you are using the global inbox. You must have "View hidden files and folders" on http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=272 and you need to set "hide extensions for known file types" off (just below View Hidden) if you are using Windows. These are your mail summary files and do not hold any messages themselves. They will be rebuilt the next time you open each folder in Thunderbird. Compact all your folders when you have completed this.

To avoid this happening again, see the tips in these articles:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keep_it_worki ... derbird%29
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_%28Thunderbird%29
OonlyBonly

Post by OonlyBonly »

Compacting comes up a couple of times a day and I always click yes.
Now there's a problem I forgot in the earlier question.
Often a number of the folders under another folder were marked as unread. It just does this on occasion but quite often.
I've gone through and marked every message read (more than once) by using the mark folders read option but TBird wants to have some of the folders unread........ This time messages in 4 of the subfolders were marked unread. Yes, I let the "searching for messages to index" run its course.
Records were imported from Outlook.
Appreciate the help.
jh
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

First backup your profile -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup but do not compact folders as recommended in that link.
Close Thunderbird and navigate to your Profile Folder ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder ). Find the files with the extension msf, such as Inbox.msf. Note that there will be sets of two files with the name but only one of these will have the MSF extension. Delete the files with the MSF extension. Restart Thunderbird, compact all folders, and see if things are back to normal. Note that the MSF files do NOT contain your messages. They are a type of index file and will be recreated by Thunderbird as required.
McPO0

Post by McPO0 »

Hi can I just jump in here and ask:

By indexing, is this just Thunderbird doing the indexing or is it the native Windows hard drive indexing that goes on?

I don't want my windows search spitting out my emails every time I'm searching from something.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There are two settings involved here. The first is found under Tools->Options->Advanced->General tab->System Integration->Allow Windows Search to search messages. You'll want to UN-SELECT that if you don't want Windows searching emails.

The second involves an index generated by Thunderbird. That one is under Tools->Options->Advanced->General tab->Advanced Configuration->Enable Global Search and Indexer. That's to permit Thunderbird searches to include all folder and accounts.
McPo0

Post by McPo0 »

DanRaisch wrote:There are two settings involved here. The first is found under Tools->Options->Advanced->General tab->System Integration->Allow Windows Search to search messages. You'll want to UN-SELECT that if you don't want Windows searching emails.

The second involves an index generated by Thunderbird. That one is under Tools->Options->Advanced->General tab->Advanced Configuration->Enable Global Search and Indexer. That's to permit Thunderbird searches to include all folder and accounts.

That has cleared things up nicely. Thanks for your input.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
INEEDMYEMAIL!

Post by INEEDMYEMAIL! »

I want the previous version back! Ever since I downloaded version 3.0 I've had nothing but problems! It's always determining which messages to index (even with that unchecked) or it's always processing. sometimes it works and most of the time it doesn't! I NEVER had this problems with the previous version. Am I able to go back to that version please?!
new.bird

Post by new.bird »

i reinstalled snow leopard on a mac pro, then reinstalled thunderbird 3.0. i followed the instructions on
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manag ... le_Manager
to start the profiles manager, using the line
/Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird-bin -profilemanager
in the terminal window.
after creating a new user and pointing it to my old profile, i start TB from the profile manager.
TB starts, but i see the following error message in the terminal window:
Warning: unrecognized command line flag -foreground

the first time TB starts, i get the problem line "determining which messages to index" in the lower left corner. eventually the system crashes. thereafter, each time i start TB, it crashes before even leaving a data file.

after reading this forum, i went into Preferences: Advanced and turned off indexing. then the problem turned into "loading message". which takes forever. (actually not quite: TB crashes before forever if i try to do anything else, like get mail. with my latest try, it has been "loading message' for 2-3 minutes...)

What to do ??

can i get a previous version without these problems ? this really is not even a good beta.