Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Arivald

Re: New addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird 3.0

Post by Arivald »

limp wrote:The dropdown arrow on the Forward button displays a list of the templates used by the Stationery extension. The dropdown arrow on the Reply button does nothing. The templates list does not appear. This is probably the fault of the Stationery extension. I will be e-mailing the author shortly.

I'm Stationery extension developer.
I checked problem, and it is not a Stationery extension problem.

Stationery create his menu entries on main toolbar, using standard ID's of toolbar buttons.
For example Forward button have id="button-forward".

After Stationery initially create menus, Compact Header exension copy whole Forward button (and several other buttons too), with copy of Stationery menus to message header toolbar. In effect, after Compact Header copy operation, now in XUL document are two buttons with id="button-forward"! This is error. XUL is XML, and one of XML rules is:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-id/#intro wrote:"id" attribute value is unique within the XML document

In result of this error, second "button-forward" is not available through document.getElementById() function.
Also, copies of Stationery menus did not get Stationery event handlers, so Stationery did not work for this menus.

I will check this problem further, to find a way to prevent Compact Header extension invalid behavior, at least for Stationery-related elements (menu items). I want to avoid problems for Stationery extension users.
DarkDippy

Wishlist for compact header pane

Post by DarkDippy »

Thanks for an awesome add-on. Two additional features would really make my day.
  • The ability to linkify any urls in an email's subject (not just RSS feeds)
  • If possible, the ability to customise the message toolbar when two or more messages are selected (the TB3 default is just to show the archive and delete buttons)

Thankie :)
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Arivald wrote:Stationery create his menu entries on main toolbar, using standard ID's of toolbar buttons.
For example Forward button have id="button-forward".

After Stationery initially create menus, Compact Header exension copy whole Forward button (and several other buttons too), with copy of Stationery menus to message header toolbar. In effect, after Compact Header copy operation, now in XUL document are two buttons with id="button-forward"! This is error. XUL is XML, and one of XML rules is:

In result of this error, second "button-forward" is not available through document.getElementById() function.
Also, copies of Stationery menus did not get Stationery event handlers, so Stationery did not work for this menus.

I will check this problem further, to find a way to prevent Compact Header extension invalid behavior, at least for Stationery-related elements (menu items). I want to avoid problems for Stationery extension users.

I am aware of this problem. I "clone" the buttons from the main toolbar to the message header pane toolbar and keep the same ID. I think changing the ID is not an option as this will break e.g. the style of the button.

Instead of get.ElementById() you could use something like the following code:

Code: Select all

document.getElementById("mail-toolbox").palette.getElementsByAttribute("id", buttonName)[0];

Another solution inside the code of CompactHeader might be to transfer the buttons from the main toolbar to the message header pane toolbar (instead of cloning). An idea might be to present all buttons of the main toolbar in the CompactHeader preferences and let the user choose which button(s) to transfer to the message header pane toolbar.

But at the moment, I would (again) say that I do not plan to implement (big) new features in CompactHeader. Main priority is to get the CustomizeHeaderToolbar add-on integrated into Thunderbird itself. Then I will add new features for the CompactHeader release for TB 3.1.
jmozmoz

Re: Wishlist for compact header pane

Post by jmozmoz »

DarkDippy wrote:Thanks for an awesome add-on. Two additional features would really make my day.
  • The ability to linkify any urls in an email's subject (not just RSS feeds)
Added to the wish list :wink:
  • If possible, the ability to customise the message toolbar when two or more messages are selected (the TB3 default is just to show the archive and delete buttons)

Is already part of the wish list.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy y'all,

is there a way to re-order the fields included on the header? right now in tb3 it's ...
i would like to see the addresses on one block! [*grin*] having the subject in the middle of the addresses is ... jarring. i prefer "subject" to be at the top OR the bottom, not in the middle.

Is already part of the wish list
plus, as i think has already been mentioned here, showing the names of the fields in proper case ["Subject" instead of "subject"] or even all-caps would also be nifty.

This has been discussed extensively at bugzilla. I do not want to change the strings itself by this add-on as this would only fix some languages. I might (at some point) add a function to automatically capitalize the first letter of all words in the button labels and header entry labels in all languages but I am not sure this is a good idea.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy jmozmoz.

thanks for the quite quick response! [*grin*] it's appreciated.

[1] re-order the fields included on the header
i'm glad to know it's on the wish list. i'm also embarrassed to admit i didn't see it at the botom of post #1. [*blush*]

[2] field names in proper case ["Subject" instead of "subject"]
i understand your reluctance to munge internationalization features. could you perhaps add it as a "user beware" advanced experimental option ?

take care,
lee
haeb

Post by haeb »

Hi all,

here are (a little late) a more specific error description about the disappearing header line. I am using TB 3.0 (BuildID 20091204171430) and the following Add-ons: AttachmentExtractor, Buttons!, CompactHeader, Deutsches Wörterbuch, Enigmail, Extr Folder Columns, Key Manager, Quicktext, QouteCollapse.

After clicking twice on the plus Button (see hardcopy) the headers disappear with a error (line 752)

Hope it helps finding the error. If you need additional information, please ask.

Horst
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

haeb wrote:Hi all,

here are (a little late) a more specific error description about the disappearing header line. I am using TB 3.0 (BuildID 20091204171430) and the following Add-ons: AttachmentExtractor, Buttons!, CompactHeader, Deutsches Wörterbuch, Enigmail, Extr Folder Columns, Key Manager, Quicktext, QouteCollapse.
Horst

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately I am still not able to reproduce it (I tried exactly the combination of TB version/add-ons you reported).

Some more questions:
  • Which operating system are you using?
  • Which version of CompactHeader?
  • Did this happen after the first install of CompactHeader or did you install some (old?) version before?
  • Could you please deactivate all other add-ons and test if the error persists?
  • What are your settings in the migration assistant (Hilfe->Migrationsassistent)?
  • IMAP or POP3 account?
  • What buttons are shown in the main mail toolbar (the normal toolbar below the menu) and the message header pane toolbar?
  • Is this problem reproducible with all messages?
  • Could you please try with a fresh profile: Start Thunderbird from the command line with the option -p, then create a new profile and install CompactHeader in this new profile. The command line should look something like this:

Code: Select all

"c:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0.0\thunderbird.exe" -p

Thank you again. I really would like to get rid of this problem.
haeb

Post by haeb »

Hi jmozmoz,

i found the malefactor with the help of your questions list. It is the addon 'TB Header Tool Extension 0.7'. Without this addon CompactHeader works as expected.

Horst
Asmodeous

Post by Asmodeous »

I am using the theme Silvermel 1.3.1
This theme seems to have the feature where "menu and actions buttons float" so they are not scrolled away. I saw on your wishlist for TB 3.1 version the item "Make menu and actions buttons "floating" so they are not scrolled away. (Any suggestions how to achieve this?)". If we are talking about the same feature then the author of Silvermel might have the solution you are looking for. =D>
Jonschu

Post by Jonschu »

Thanks jmozmoz,
I like this addon a lot! Replaces CustomizeHeaderToolbar and offers nice buttons with icons (junk and delete icons were removed from beginning). Now I've got two or three issues:

a) I've got a bug so date will be moved to the right side of the header: http://www.abload.de/img/datumm1o1.png
It's not related to DispMUA (Display Mail User Agent)

b) Can you add an additional 'plus' to view all recipients without a scrolling bar? Or does someone know how to get this function? Would really appreciate it!

c) I like the dynamic Reply-button very much. Is it possible to change standard, so if there are several recipients it will show reply and using drop down menu you can reply to all.

Will you add functions of HeaderTools? Or are you willing to develop a similar addon since HeaderTools isn't developed any more?

Greetings
Jonschu
Regards
Jonschu
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Jonschu wrote:a) I've got a bug so date will be moved to the right side of the header: http://www.abload.de/img/datumm1o1.png
It's not related to DispMUA (Display Mail User Agent)

I am not sure, if this is a bug. The date is always displayed at the right side of the (expanded) header pane.
b) Can you add an additional 'plus' to view all recipients without a scrolling bar? Or does someone know how to get this function? Would really appreciate it!
I submitted a patch in bugzilla, to view all email addresses if the expanded header view mode plus the "show all details" options are chosen. This has to be fixed in TB itself. At the moment I do not see a way to change this in an add-on.
c) I like the dynamic Reply-button very much. Is it possible to change standard, so if there are several recipients it will show reply and using drop down menu you can reply to all.

There was already a long discussion about this on bugzilla and elsewhere (I think I posted some links in this (now very long) thread). I would suggest, that somebody is changing this in a special add-on.
Will you add functions of HeaderTools? Or are you willing to develop a similar addon since HeaderTools isn't developed any more?

I am still hoping that the customization header toolbar patch I submitted to bugzilla will be integrated in TB 3.1. Then I will restart (larger scale) work on this add-on.
BreezyOhio

Post by BreezyOhio »

I'm using the beta along with the buttons add on. Thanks for the great addition.

One thing I'm running into .. when it's set on 2 lines mode I'm getting add'l lines if the message contains tags. Can tags be placed on that second row possibly? Also after you open an email with tags and header expands, it then seems to stay in 3 line mode from then on. Can you recreate this error?
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

BreezyOhio wrote:I'm using the beta along with the buttons add on. Thanks for the great addition.

One thing I'm running into .. when it's set on 2 lines mode I'm getting add'l lines if the message contains tags. Can tags be placed on that second row possibly? Also after you open an email with tags and header expands, it then seems to stay in 3 line mode from then on. Can you recreate this error?

Sorry, I cannot reproduce it. What other add-ons are installed? Could you post a screen shot please.
gskoczylas

Post by gskoczylas »

Header of the message sometimes contains URL address, e.g. "X-POPFile-Link: http://127.0.0.1:8080/jump_to_message?view=206623"

Is this possible to display such address like link in the expanded header?
Grzegorz Skoczylas