[Ext] Furigana Inserter 13

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Stomp

[Ext] Furigana Inserter 13

Post by Stomp »

Hello,
I have created an extension Furigana Inserter (FI) that allows you to insert furigana into a Japanese text. Furigana are small characters in hiragana, katakana or romaji which tell you how to pronounce a Japanese word. It can monitor the clipboard and insert japanese text with furigana into a web page.

FI uses MeCab, a morphological analyzer created by a Japanese university. In order to run FI you need an installation of MeCab with the UTF-8 dictionary.

Furigana Inserter: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/7913
Last edited by Stomp on December 11th, 2016, 11:43 am, edited 14 times in total.
Stomp

Re: [Ext] Furigana Inserter 0.9.4

Post by Stomp »

I have now released version 1.0.0 which has the following changes:
------
Fixed bugs: some bugs, that could not be triggered through the normal user interface. Changed GUI: now you have to use left click to access the menu in the status bar.

Works with Firefox 3.5.
------
Stomp

Re: [Ext] Furigana Inserter 0.9.4

Post by Stomp »

Version 1.0.14 that works with Firefox 3.6 has been released on AMO.
Stomp

Re: [Ext] Furigana Inserter 1.1.1

Post by Stomp »

I have released version 1.2.3 of Furigana Inserter. It's currently only available from the home page. There are two new features. First is the user dictionary from MeCab. It allows you to add nouns and names. Second is a filter that filters the text, that is inserted from the clipboard.

I have released version 2.0 of Furigana Inserter for Firefox 4. It has the same features as version 1.2.3, but it should also work on Linux and Mac OS X in addition to Windows. I have only tested on Windows XP and Linux.
Stomp

Re: [Ext] Furigana Inserter 2.0.8

Post by Stomp »

I have released version 2.0.8 compatible with Firefox 4.0. It fixes all known bugs and adds support for keywords. You can now insert a keyword above a kanji instead of the reading.
justdave72

Post by justdave72 »

How do I get this to work on Mac? I've installed this, HTML Ruby, and the dictionary extension, and when I choose the "Insert Furigana" menu item, it gives me a popup saying the dictionary extension isn't installed (even though I can plainly see it in the addons manager)
Stomp

Post by Stomp »

justdave72 wrote:How do I get this to work on Mac? I've installed this, HTML Ruby, and the dictionary extension, and when I choose the "Insert Furigana" menu item, it gives me a popup saying the dictionary extension isn't installed (even though I can plainly see it in the addons manager)

Here's a blog post that explains how to install it on Mac.
justdave72

Post by justdave72 »

Thank you! From that post, the missing piece from the previous docs I'd found is making the symlink to mecab inside the extension directory.
firebrand3

Post by firebrand3 »

Firefox is crashing when Furigana inserter is enabled.
rayquaza88

Post by rayquaza88 »

It does crash when it's enabled nad you cant even open firefox if you enable to auto load i had to use safe mode and ecleaner to get rid of it. im on firefox 29 stable on w7 x64.
Stomp

Re: [Ext] Furigana Inserter 2.0.12

Post by Stomp »

I have just released version 2.12.
goodvibest

Re: [Ext] Furigana Inserter 2.12

Post by goodvibest »

I absolutely love Furigana Inserter. I was wondering if it were possible to add the ability to also romanize katakana so that entire pieces of Japanese text can be turned into romaji? I am currently studying Japanese, learning how to read and being able to read both hiragana AND katakana would help with the memorization process.

In a nutshell: Feature to go full romaji, kanji and hiragana/katakana.
parrrker

Post by parrrker »

Dear Creators,
Can anyone help me with the furigana inserter add-on? It is down-loaded and installed.
On the tool bar the furigana inserter icon sits beside the rikichin add-on; the rikichin is working & fab. When I highlight an area of text, and right click the menu the option to "insert furigana" appears. But there is no action!
I am using the rikichin and the furigana on the same page viz the RCX textarea sheet suggested by the rikichin.

This is frustrating; all the reviews say the furigana inserter is a great tool, but there are no instructions how to operate it.

Apologies but I am an historian and not tech-suaavy.

Many thanks,
Gretchen
Stomp

Post by Stomp »

You need to follow the instruction from the FAQ https://code.google.com/p/itadaki/wiki/FAQ . If you are on Windows then I recommend installing MeCab https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... Gt6ejlpVXc .
Ethuil

Re: [Ext] Furigana Inserter 13

Post by Ethuil »

Thank you for this great addon! Wanted to share only one concern on "About" page of it, I think it would be better to advice people adding custom css only for "ruby->rt" elements, not for all rt elements, because some pages can have style with elements named like that and it can cause issues. So instead of:

Code: Select all

rt {
font-size: 100%;
}
I am using:

Code: Select all

ruby rt {
font-size: 75%;
}
Should be safer to use without accidental scaling of not furigana font if it named the same.