update bookmark extension - please help

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
fallingidol

update bookmark extension - please help

Post by fallingidol »

hi, i was wondering if there's an extension that does the same as "update bookmark" https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/689

seems like the above mentioned extension's not going to be updated anytime soon so i was wondering if anyone knew of an extension that does the same as the other extension (read extension description)

hmmm how to explain this...okay, it's like this:

i bookmarked a link to a thread at a forum i visit frequently. when i go back to it, there are a couple more pages in that thread, so i want to update the bookmark that's already saved on firefox. but i don't wanna copy and paste the new URL and then change the properties of the old link. i want to just right-click on the link and "update URL" (like the extension above).

does anyone know of an extension that does that? other than "update bookmark" by chuonthis ?
Alan Baxter

Re: update bookmark extension - please help

Post by Alan Baxter »

Most of the reports indicate Update Bookmark 0.0.5.1 works in Fx 3.6. Compatibility Reports for Update Bookmark :: Add-ons for Firefox
Although I haven't fully regression tested it, it seems to work for me for changing URLs or titles. I turned off compatibility checking with the MR Tech Toolkit extension, installed Update Bookmark 0.0.5.1, and then made it compatible with MR Tech Toolkit. Give it a try.
fallingidol

Post by fallingidol »

i have no idea what that means or how to do that. sorry man, i'm not a tech guy. i don't even know where on my computer the extensions are stored to fill out the paths stuff in the MR tech toolkit.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Have you attempted to directly email the developer via his website? That would probably be the most fruitful course of action.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

fallingidol wrote:i have no idea what that means or how to do that. sorry man, i'm not a tech guy. i don't even know where on my computer the extensions are stored to fill out the paths stuff in the MR tech toolkit.

Bummer. It sounds like you have MR Tech Toolkit installed already. You don't have to do anything with its other settings such as the paths stuff. You can ignore all that. May I try walking you through what to do? You may not have to be much of a tech guy if I give a detailed procedure. Sorry if the instructions seem a bit long, but I hope they're comprehensible. I followed them myself as I wrote them. (And they don't seem quite so long once you've done it once or twice.)

- Install MR Tech Toolkit (MRTT) (You may have done this already.)

- If you haven't installed Update Bookmark 0.0.5.1 yet, then do the following: (otherwise jump to the instruction below starting with Case where Update Bookmark has already been installed)
- In MRTT Options, uncheck Miscellaneous > XPI Install Options > Enable Addons Compatibility Checking. Click OK.
- Install Update Bookmark 0.0.5.1 from the versions page on addons.mozilla.org (AMO) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rsions/689. (Update Bookmark's main page on AMO won't let you install it from there unless you're logged in to AMO.)
- If MRTT pops up a dialog offering to "remove the Extension installation delay", just click No.
- Firefox will pop up the Software Installation dialog. Click Install Now.
- After the installation is complete. Firefox should display the Add-ons Manager Installs pane. Click Restart Firefox.
- After Firefox has restarted. Right-click Update Bookmark in the Add-ons Manager > Extensions pane and select Make compatible.
- If a dialog pops up warning you that forcing compatibility may cause the application to stop working correctly and asking you if you want to do this. Just click OK.
- In MRTT Options, check Miscellaneous > XPI Install Options > Enable Addons Compatibility Checking. Click OK.
- You're done! If you don't want MRTT any longer, you can safely uninstall or disable it now.

Case where Update Bookmark has already been installed, but was disabled by Fx 3.6 because it's not compatible.
- Right-click Update Bookmark in the Add-ons Manager > Extensions pane and select Make compatible.
- If a dialog pops up warning you that forcing compatibility may cause the application to stop working correctly and asking you if you want to do this. Just click OK.
- In MRTT Options, check Miscellaneous > XPI Install Options > Enable Addons Compatibility Checking. Click OK.
- Restart Firefox from the Firefox File menu with File > Restart Firefox (The Addons-Manager doesn't appear to prompt you to do this.)
- You're done! If you don't want MRTT any longer, you can safely uninstall or disable it now.
fallingidol

Post by fallingidol »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Have you attempted to directly email the developer via his website? That would probably be the most fruitful course of action.

yes i have but never got a reply
fallingidol

Post by fallingidol »

Alan Baxter wrote:Case where Update Bookmark has already been installed, but was disabled by Fx 3.6 because it's not compatible.
- Right-click Update Bookmark in the Add-ons Manager > Extensions pane and select Make compatible.
- Restart Firefox from the Firefox File menu with File > Restart Firefox (The Addons-Manager doesn't appear to prompt you to do this.)

oh my god, you're a lifesaver! thank you so much! it worked!
fallingidol

Post by fallingidol »

oh another thing. does the toolkit work for norton IPS and norton toolbar as well? cuz both stopped working when i upgraded to firefox 3.6.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Not really. You will need to wait for Norton to update the toolbar.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
fallingidol

Post by fallingidol »

okay thanks!
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

fallingidol wrote:oh my god, you're a lifesaver! thank you so much! it worked!

Thank goodness! I don't think I could have held my breath any longer. I know how you feel: Update Bookmark is a real time saver.
QuarrellaDeVil

Post by QuarrellaDeVil »

fallingidol wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:Have you attempted to directly email the developer via his website? That would probably be the most fruitful course of action.

yes i have but never got a reply

I just dropped him a note, too, letting him know that we're looking for him. :P
fallingidol

Post by fallingidol »

I'm back with another "update bookmark" problem. As of today, my Firefox has gone batshit. Everytime I restart my laptop, the "update bookmark" addon has reset itself to NOT work in firefox 3.6. I've got MR Tech Toolkit and I keep having to make the bookmark addon compatible with Firefox everytime I use Firefox. It worked up until last night and when I logged on this morning it reset itself. Other addons, that have been disabled for a long time, suddenly were enabled. I don't know what's happening but it's quite annoying. Any ideas what happened and how to fix it?
Last edited by fallingidol on February 20th, 2010, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Sounds like one or more corrupt extension configuration files.
- Remove the files referenced in this article: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Una ... sion_files
This may have the side effect of enabling any disabled extensions and removing any compatibility magic done by MRTT or added by update. So:
- Click Find Updates at the bottom of the extensions manager. This should download Update Bookmark's compatibility info from AMO. MRTT isn't needed to make it compatible any longer.
- Disable any extensions you want disabled, that aren't already.
fallingidol

Post by fallingidol »

I just remembered something else. Yesterday, I noticed that the Norton IPS and Norton Toolbar started working again so I guess Symantec released an update. Firefox worked fine but when I logged on this morning, everything was enabled/reset and it keeps doing that whenever I boot-up again. Could this be related to my current problem? Could Norton cause all of this? I've disabled the Norton addons but every time I boot up my laptop, it's back on and the bookmarks addon doesn't work anymore.

Thanks Alan, I'll try that.