automatically adding www.___.com

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
acid_kewpie

automatically adding www.___.com

Post by acid_kewpie »

It seems that if you only enter one word in the address bar, e.g. to search google for it, all firebird does is just slap a www and a com on it and attempt to go there. this seems like an extremely naive approach to using this ambiguous data. surely you want to... try .com, try www.com, try .net., .org etc... like lynx does, and safely fall back to a search if none of those domains exist. Having the ability to treat a single word as a domain OR a search value as a preference would also be handy.

thanks
chris
markf

Post by markf »

I agree it would be nice to have a configurable list of pre/post appends that fb should try when matching names. Whilst i'm over here working in the Netherlands, almost everything is .nl, and in the UK it's .co.uk, in germany it was .de so it's very annoying that you can't configure the auto append.

mark 'international man of misery' fisher
acid_kewpie

Post by acid_kewpie »

would be useful, it's more the case that it's not (apparently) trying to be in the slightest bit intelligent about this, it doesn't even try to see if the domain exists.... unsuprisingly http://www.wsedrftgyuh.com/ comes back as an unresolved hostname....
chris
acid_kewpie

Post by acid_kewpie »

anyone have any more thoughts on this?

thanks
chris
Orbite

Re: automatically adding www.___.com

Post by Orbite »

acid_kewpie wrote:It seems that if you only enter one word in the address bar, e.g. to search google for it, all firebird does is just slap a www and a com on it and attempt to go there.

This absolutely not what Firebird is doing. If you enter a search term in the address field and press Enter, a Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" search is performed, and you're taken to the first result of that search directly. If you type a word and press Ctrl-Enter, you fetch www._a_word_.com.

Shift-Enter => .net
Shift-Ctrl-Enter => .org

You can hack all this by changing the user_prefs directly by editing keyword.URL, browser.fixup.alternate.enabled, browser.fixup.alternate.prefix and browser.fixup.alternate.suffix from the about:config screen.

Please read the documentation
acid_kewpie

Post by acid_kewpie »

you get a google search if you type in more than one word, one word however is treated as a domain. This behaviour seems extremely crude. I would ahope and assume that this is simply a work-in-progress and not a finished piece of code, it doesn't even try to look up the address like lynx does and search for valid domains. Please don't take this bad, but i'd be quite worried if this was officially thought of as a good way of going about processing this ambiguous data.

thanks
chris
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

acid_kewpie wrote:you get a google search if you type in more than one word, one word however is treated as a domain.

Are you sure about it? I typed "daihard" in the URL bar and hit Enter. Firebird found "bbs.daihard.org," which is exactly what happens when I type in "daihard" on Google and hit "I'm Feelin' Lucky," like Orbite says.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

localhost did a googlesearch for me.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

alanjstr wrote:localhost did a googlesearch for me.

Did you get www.localhost.net.au?
neilj

Post by neilj »

I did.
dacovale

Post by dacovale »

localhost transforming into www.localhost.net.au is a result of keyword.enabled set to true.
I'm nice
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

dacovale wrote:localhost transforming into www.localhost.net.au is a result of keyword.enabled set to true.

Isn't that the default behaviour? I don't recall fiddling with that option at all.
dacovale

Post by dacovale »

yes, it's default behavior.
that doesn't mean you can't change it if it bugs you though. :-)
I'm nice
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

dacovale wrote:yes, it's default behavior.
that doesn't mean you can't change it if it bugs you though. :-)

You're right, you can always change the settings. I just wanted to make sure we are on the same boat in terms of what the default behaviour is. If the OP tweaked the setting (which I doubt they did), then they should surely see a different result.
acid_kewpie

Post by acid_kewpie »

well i've tried this on the last few weeks of builds and the 0.6 release under both linux and windows, and it just goes to the .com address, tried a clean profile just in case, and it's still the same. one word goes to the .com and not a google search.

certainly it's no bad thing to try a .com, but surely it should actually see if it exists before trying to go to it anyway?
chris