Firefox 3.6b2: Force new tabs to open relative.

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
ShadowBottle

Firefox 3.6b2: Force new tabs to open relative.

Post by ShadowBottle »

I can't seem to find any configuration within about:config to force Firefox to open up new tabs next to the tab I'm currently in. This basically means that when I want to compare two pages I have to open up a new tab, mouse over or key alllll the way over to it, load up the page I'd like and then drag it alllllll the way back next to the tab I'd like to compare it to and that I opened the new tab from.

This is a little annoying and much more work than it was previously. I was using Tabs Open Relative extension, and I believe that it was creating the new tabs relative but it no longer seems to be functioning. I'm hoping there's something I can toggle within Firefox to fix this.

Any hints?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
pal-moz

Re: Firefox 3.6b2: Force new tabs to open relative.

Post by pal-moz »

you can do it by default. not include bookmark.
if you cannot, try safe mode or/and new profile.
ShadowBottle

Post by ShadowBottle »

pal-moz wrote:you can do it by default. not include bookmark.
if you cannot, try safe mode or/and new profile.

I went straight to a brand new profile. I'm fairly certain this is the default behavior of 3.6b2 :-/
Still not seeing any way around this.

When you say "you can do it be default.", how do you mean? Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing?
Thanks!
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Maybe your Tabs Open Relative extension is screwing up the default behavior. Default behavior in 3.6 is now to open all new tabs relative.... personally I find it annoying.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
ShadowBottle

Post by ShadowBottle »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Maybe your Tabs Open Relative extension is screwing up the default behavior. Default behavior in 3.6 is now to open all new tabs relative.... personally I find it annoying.

It's not present in the clean profile I just generated though. All /links/ clicked on open relative but when I use ctrl+t or cmd+t (in OS X) it creates a new blank tab at the end of the row of tabs.
patrickjdempsey

That is what it should do. The whole point of opening relative is to open a link in a tab "relative" to the current tab. Since a new tab is not relative to anything, it goes at the end. Also, Ctrl-T does the same thing as the New Tab button at the end of the tabs. It makes sense that if you press that button, a new tab would appear in the place of that button. It would make absolutely no intuitive sense if you pressed the new tab button and a new tab randomly appeared in the middle of the tab chain. I am sure when 3.6 becomes a real release someone will make a very simple extension to generate the effect you want.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

this feature is only for links.
ShadowBottle

Post by ShadowBottle »

patrickjdempsey wrote:That is what it should do. The whole point of opening relative is to open a link in a tab "relative" to the current tab. Since a new tab is not relative to anything, it goes at the end. Also, Ctrl-T does the same thing as the New Tab button at the end of the tabs. It makes sense that if you press that button, a new tab would appear in the place of that button. It would make absolutely no intuitive sense if you pressed the new tab button and a new tab randomly appeared in the middle of the tab chain. I am sure when 3.6 becomes a real release someone will make a very simple extension to generate the effect you want.

I'm pretty sure you mean that's what you /feel/ it should do. Extensibility is core. Also I don't want a new tab to open up randomly in the middle of my row of tabs. You're right - that wouldn't make any sense at all. What I want is for the new tab to appear directly next to the tab I'm already in - which isn't random at all.
Sorry, I come from a time when Phoenix Firefox didn't have a "new tab" button (taking up non-extraneous tab bar space to boot). I don't think of things from the perspective of big shiny buttons.
I too am certain that someone will generate an extension to provide the functionality I'm looking for (probably part of an updated 'Tabs Open Relative' extension) - my question was if there was a means of doing this from within Firefox itself, and it doesn't appear as if you know.
I appreciate your feedback, though. :D
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

Last edited by pal-moz on November 12th, 2009, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patrickjdempsey

ShadowBottle wrote: my question was if there was a means of doing this from within Firefox itself, and it doesn't appear as if you know.

I do know, the answer is no. I'm not sure how far back the feature goes, but Firefox has let users open a new tab by double-clicking on the tab bar itself for some time. Opening that tab into the blank space of the tab bar is the logical behavior in that case as well.
ShadowBottle

Post by ShadowBottle »

Hrm... looks like it may do the trick, but there's so much extraneous options I fear it would TabMixPro-up my install. :-/

patrickjdempsey wrote:
ShadowBottle wrote: my question was if there was a means of doing this from within Firefox itself, and it doesn't appear as if you know.

I do know, the answer is no. I'm not sure how far back the feature goes, but Firefox has let users open a new tab by double-clicking on the tab bar itself for some time. Opening that tab into the blank space of the tab bar is the logical behavior in that case as well.

I'm pretty sure I knew about double clicking in the blank space of the tab bar, but I rarely have any blank space available. I guess I'm more of a boarder than a mouser, and when I'm on the third tab of twelve and I hit cmd+t or ctrl+t it's not particularly logical to throw me nine tabs away from the tab I was just in. I imagine this is one of the primary reasons for the extensibility of Firefox - so that it can be made to act how it /should/ (as you say) for each persons /use/. But I'm glad it now operates closer to how a mouser uses it, for you, I just wish they hadn't removed the operators that controlled that behavior from about:config.
RytoEX

Post by RytoEX »

ShadowBottle,

Some add-ons for you to examine:
Tab Kit (incompatible with Tab Mix Plus, possibly a bit heavy on tweaks)
Tab Control (very simple add-on, though it seems to automatically remove the Tab Bar's ability to scroll)

Though, a browser.tabs.insertNewAfterCurrent preference in about:config would be nice.
NJKR

Post by NJKR »

Try Super Tab Mode 1.53
and
browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent true preference in about:config
farmdwg

Post by farmdwg »

Thanks. browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent to false fixed it for me.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

That about:config item is only for links. A blank tab opened relative to your current tab is seemingly impossible without an extension.