Invalid password

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Pajing37

Invalid password

Post by Pajing37 »

Hello, I just set up my Thunderbird account and it asked me for my password to retrieve email. When I entered it, it said it was invalid. I retyped it and tried again, and it said "invalid user/password". I tried again, same. I tried re-entering my user name and password...same thing again. What is wrong? Thanks!
DanRaisch

Re: Invalid password

Post by DanRaisch »

Note that the error message refers to an invalid password OR invalid username. Try manually reentering the username under Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings. Also, if you have entered your full email address as username, try entering just the portion before the @ symbol. If you have entered just the portion before the @, try entering the full email address.

If you are still unsuccessful, post back here with the following information --
* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* What operating system?
* What is the exact wording of the error message you are receiving?
* Do you have any extensions installed?
* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Weekly or more often is strongly recommended. Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name and port number for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
+ Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP) (at the bottom of the list of accounts on the left)>*server*>Edit?
* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant?
(including OS or Thunderbird updates, adding extensions or themes, etc. and any security program updates)
LadyCharly

Post by LadyCharly »

I too am now having this issue.... I have 4 accounts set up in TB, 2 work, 2 don't. What's up with that?

TB - 2.0.0.16
OS - WinXP
Mess. - Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.bizmail.yahoo responded; invalid user/password.
Extensions - 1) ImportExport Tools 2) TalkBack
Mail - POP
Service - ISP
AV/FW - Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.0.483.000
Server Settings - 1) pop.bizmail.yahoo.com port 110 2) pop.att.yahoo.com port 110

I was having issues after an update and wrote here about a possible bug. I did everything told to do and it worked for a little while. Then it started acting up again, but not as bad so didn't do anything else. Then today after shutting down my PC, it won't retrieve email due to message.
LadyCharly

Post by LadyCharly »

Here's the thread for previous issues: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=797675
Roy66uk

Post by Roy66uk »

LadyCharly wrote:I too am now having this issue

So that help for you doesn't get in the way of/confuse the Original person who posted here, and is still receiving help, it is more courteous to them if you start a 'New Topic'.

Thanks

LadyCharly wrote:Here's the thread for previous issues: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=797675

Just start a new topic or, if it is directly relevant then stick to that original thread.
It is going to be confusing helping the ORIGINAL poster otherwise.
LadyCharly

Post by LadyCharly »

I figured with the same issue it was redundant to post the same issue that would take space/repeat, but ok....
Roy66uk

Post by Roy66uk »

LadyCharly wrote:I figured with the same issue it was redundant to post the same issue that would take space/repeat, but ok....

No.
It makes it much harder to focus on the OP.
Don't worry about space.
If it was an exact issue you could just read the answers.
Pajing37

Post by Pajing37 »

DanRaisch wrote:Note that the error message refers to an invalid password OR invalid username. Try manually reentering the username under Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings. Also, if you have entered your full email address as username, try entering just the portion before the @ symbol. If you have entered just the portion before the @, try entering the full email address.

If you are still unsuccessful, post back here with the following information --
* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number. 2.0.0.16
* What operating system? MAC Leopard
* What is the exact wording of the error message you are receiving? Alert Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo responded invalid user/password
* Do you have any extensions installed? no
* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP? Yahoo
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based??
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones? No
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Weekly or more often is strongly recommended. Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders. Never been able to use the program.
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name and port number for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings? ?
+ Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP) (at the bottom of the list of accounts on the left)>*server*>Edit?
* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant?
(including OS or Thunderbird updates, adding extensions or themes, etc. and any security program updates)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Is that a free Yahoo account you are trying to access? If so, see this link -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_webmail ... ail_client
Pajing37

Post by Pajing37 »

DanRaisch wrote:Is that a free Yahoo account you are trying to access? If so, see this link -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_webmail ... ail_client

I guess I will need YPops. I have a free Yahoo email account in the US. It looks like YPops is only for use on Windows...any other add-ons for MAC? Thanks so much for your help!!
charles

Post by charles »

You might look at the webmail extension. That is an addon that works anywhere that TBird will run. Ypops is a standalone program not an extension.
cabbage

Post by cabbage »

Pajing37 wrote:Hello, I just set up my Thunderbird account and it asked me for my password to retrieve email. When I entered it, it said it was invalid. I retyped it and tried again, and it said "invalid user/password". I tried again, same. I tried re-entering my user name and password...same thing again. What is wrong? Thanks!
cabbage

Post by cabbage »

CAN SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME I REBUILT A NEW COMPUTER AND I WANT TO PUT ON THUNDERBIRD ON BUT WHEN I TRY IT COMES BACK SAYING INVALID USER AND PASSWORD BUT I CAN NOT REMEMBER MY PASSWORD SO I AM LOST ON WHAT TO DO ???
SO ONE FIX THIS UP PLEASE

CABBAGE-ALAN G
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based? Who is the email provider?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name, port number, and choice for "Secure Connection" for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?