Delahaye Installer update?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
denro

Delahaye Installer update?

Post by denro »

Seb Delahaye had been providing builds of Phoenix wrapped in his installer and available at his site. But the latest build is for 11 / 19. Does anyone know if Seb will continue this useful service and if so when we might anticipate a new version?
-- Denro
Tom D

Installer update.

Post by Tom D »

I was wondering the same, it's real handy, been hanging with the 11/19 build and just keep checking for a new one.
rso

Re: Delahaye Installer update?

Post by rso »

denro wrote:Seb Delahaye had been providing builds of Phoenix wrapped in his installer and available at his site. But the latest build is for 11 / 19. Does anyone know if Seb will continue this useful service and if so when we might anticipate a new version?

For what, for unzipping a ZIP file?
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

rso wrote:For what, for unzipping a ZIP file?

There are several advantages with the installer, eg

* The download is smaller
* You get a "real" installation with icons and stuff in the correct place
* You get an easy uninstall feature

Personally I use the .zip, but I see why people would prefer the installer.
djst

Post by djst »

Stefan wrote:There are several advantages with the installer, eg

It doesn't include an uninstaller. This is from the FAQ:

Q: Does it uninstall Phoenix? Does it remove my old profile, bookmarks, cookies, etc.?
A: No, it currently doesn't. It'll soon, though, but I have no time to work on the installer right now. It'll be available as an option, if a previous installation of Phoenix is detected by the installer.
psicotec

Post by psicotec »

djst: Have you used the installable version yourself? It includes an uninstaller which is accessible through Start -> Control Panel -> Add/remove programs -> Phoenix (remove only). However it doesn't remove your profile. The uninstall feature have been included for quite some time now.

Do you believe everything that you read on the Internet ;).
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

djst wrote:
Stefan wrote:There are several advantages with the installer, eg

It doesn't include an uninstaller.

Opps sorry, thanks for clearing that up :)
djst

Post by djst »

psicotec wrote:djst: Have you used the installable version yourself? It includes an uninstaller which is accessible through Start -> Control Panel -> Add/remove programs -> Phoenix (remove only). However it doesn't remove your profile. The uninstall feature have been included for quite some time now.

Do you believe everything that you read on the Internet ;).

That's what Seb's own FAQ says... If that's incorrect, he should clarify it. And no, I don't use his installers.
seb

Post by seb »

There will be no upload before saturday. I dumbly cvs updated NSIS, and the .nsi script doesn't compile anymore (the way NSIS handles GUI has changed). I have no time to update it right now, so, nothing before the end of the week :(

For the uninstaller, there is one. I should make the FAQ more clear about that: there is an uninstaller, but it doesn't remove the profiles (hopefully, it'll soon, since NSIS now has a plugin to find the user's name). It only removes Phoenix itself.

The plan for next version is:
- compiles again (:/),
- possibility (as an option) to uninstall previous installations when updating (will be default),
- possibility (as an option) to remove profiles when installing, so that you start with a new profile automatically (should be default when I'm sure it's not buggy),
- possibility to make a full uninstall (including profiles) in the uninstaller
- hotkeys (added by NSIS)

If I have no time to do this before the end of the week, I'll just take the first item of the list.
seb

Post by seb »

djst wrote:That's what Seb's own FAQ says... If that's incorrect, he should clarify it.
Done.
Sorry for the confusion.
djst

Post by djst »

Netsabes wrote:There will be no upload before saturday. I dumbly cvs updated NSIS, and the .nsi script doesn't compile anymore (the way NSIS handles GUI has changed). I have no time to update it right now, so, nothing before the end of the week :(

Can't you just download a previous version of NSIS in the meantime?
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Netsabes wrote:There will be no upload before saturday. I dumbly cvs updated NSIS, and the .nsi script doesn't compile anymore (the way NSIS handles GUI has changed). I have no time to update it right now, so, nothing before the end of the week :(

For the uninstaller, there is one. I should make the FAQ more clear about that: there is an uninstaller, but it doesn't remove the profiles (hopefully, it'll soon, since NSIS now has a plugin to find the user's name). It only removes Phoenix itself.

The plan for next version is:
- compiles again (:/),
- possibility (as an option) to uninstall previous installations when updating (will be default),
- possibility (as an option) to remove profiles when installing, so that you start with a new profile automatically (should be default when I'm sure it's not buggy),
- possibility to make a full uninstall (including profiles) in the uninstaller
- hotkeys (added by NSIS)

If I have no time to do this before the end of the week, I'll just take the first item of the list.

Does the installer download the latest nightly, or have you been re-packaging? There was a downloader plugin for NSIS 1.?.

It would be really nice if they had a Phoenix installer like they do for Mozilla. Of course there's plenty of other issues with Phoenix's build machines, etc. All in due time.
seb

Post by seb »

djst wrote:

Can't you just download a previous version of NSIS in the meantime?
I don't use NSIS official releases, only cvs builds. Browsing NSIS cvs to find the version number corresponding to oct. 11 for each file would take as much time (if not even more) than just updating the script.

Alanjstr > I download "manually" (um. thanks to cron+wget) each build, then package it.
I've tried to make a webinstaller for Phoenix some weeks ago, but the unzip plugin is too buggy to be usable. I'll probably make one available once the plugin is fixed.
seb

Post by seb »

OK, update done. Sorry for the delay.
Here is the latest: http://seb.delahaye.net/phoenix/Phoenix ... -setup.exe

There has been some minor changes too (introduction and end pages, for example).