Lightning Now Officially Supports SeaMonkey 2!

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
Philip Chee

Lightning Now Officially Supports SeaMonkey 2!

Post by Philip Chee »

Robert Kaiser wrote:Lightning Now Officially Supports SeaMonkey 2!

You might already have read about the release of Lightning 1.0 Beta 1 - maybe you even remember my earlier posts about SeaMonkey 2 and Lightning. And now here's the good news, right from the announcement the calendar team made:

Quote:
Lightning now supports SeaMonkey 2.0 as a host application

You can install Lightning 1.0 Beta 1 from AMO and manage your calendars now directly from within the SeaMonkey Mail & Newsgroups component.

We have been working closely with the calendar team to make Lightning work as well as possible within SeaMonkey, but we're also sure things can be improved further, and any help is appreciated.

Also, both the SeaMonkey and calendar teams appreciate testing of this Beta and reporting bugs, so we can make your calendaring experience with SeaMonkey and Lightning even better in the future!

Entry written by KaiRo and posted on January 14th, 2010 02:18
Ztruker

Re: Lightning Now Officially Supports SeaMonkey 2!

Post by Ztruker »

It also works very well with 2.0.2 I'm happy to say. The one I was using previously stopped working with the forced update to SM 2.0.2.
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I found out the other day that accepting one of those ubiquitous outlook generated meeting invitations automatically enters the event, complete with all its details into my Lightning calendar.

For those who get those, that is a great feature - try it!!!
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

This is good news. It works reasonably well in both Windows and Linux.

One small enhancement request, however: in SM 1.X, the calendar extension installed as a separate menu item in the Window menu choice. The new version appears in Mail/News as Events and Tasks. That's a bit non-intuitive, and I thought at first Lightning had installed but simply wasn't showing. Being able to reach it directly from the Window menu or a button would be a boon.

Thanks!
______
Dennis
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I agree, that would be great, and also, when clicking on the calendar icon in the mail tab bar, it would be nice if the calendar tab came to the front right away.

I guess the reason that's missing is because it was designed from the ground up to integrate with the mozilla mail application "thunderbird" and not with the seamonkey suite.

Since our mail componenet is much like Thunderbird, it works only within that component of Seamonkey.
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

Rob_S wrote:I agree, that would be great, and also, when clicking on the calendar icon in the mail tab bar, it would be nice if the calendar tab came to the front right away.

Agreed

I guess the reason that's missing is because it was designed from the ground up to integrate with the mozilla mail application "thunderbird" and not with the seamonkey suite.

Though Thunderbird derives from the suite, in the same way Firefox derives from the browser component.

Since our mail componenet is much like Thunderbird, it works only within that component of Seamonkey.

Sure. But it ought to be possible to get to it directly from the main menu. For that matter, it ought to be possible to get to it from a command line, the same way you can launch SeaMonkey into Mail/News instead of the browser.

You can already use "seamonkey -mail" to start in Mail/News. "seamonkey - calendar" would be a nice addition.
______
Dennis
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31