Setup Thunderbird using Davmail to access Outlook Web Access

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
i Eat Thunder

Setup Thunderbird using Davmail to access Outlook Web Access

Post by i Eat Thunder »

I have scoured the internet, looking for resources, but I cannot seem to get this working correctly. I am using Windows XP, have Thunderbird, the Lightning Add-On and have downloaded DavMail. Can anyone help me set this up so that I don't go crazy?
tanstaafl

Re: Setup Thunderbird using Davmail to access Outlook Web Access

Post by tanstaafl »

You could send a private message to the author of one of the following threads if nobody answers:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1604495&hilit=davmail
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1549955&hilit=davmail
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1516355&hilit=davmail
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1495505&hilit=davmail (probably best one)

Post by Guest »

Any response on the above would be appreciated!
jcampen

Post by jcampen »

Haven't seen any reply to this one

Seems quite a lot out there are finding it simple enough getting Thunderbird/Davmail to work, yet I've been at it for days now and still no luck. I've finally given up altogether with Evolution last week, as it seems from weeks of reading and trying, there just isn't a solution for it to work with Exchange Server mail. Yes I tried brutus and its web sites are down so to get additions such as Brutus Keyring is impossible. (its all a long story for another day)Evolution is now uninstalled and in the bin.

So now Im into the 5th day trying with Davmail and Thunderbird to get emails from my company mail exchange server.

I am sure Im going to have better luck with Thunderbird from what Ive read so far, but it still eludes me how to set it up with Devmail and the information Ive found so far is not very clear. I am sure I am just missing the most simplest step somewhere along the line.

Can someone please post a detailed instruction on how to configure both Thunderbird and Devmail to work together and also how to test if Davmails is working?

This is what I have so far.
Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 with lightning and Devmail all installed and no issues there (Devmail working on Java 6)
Ubuntu 9.10

I can easily access my company emails via OWA with https://thecompanyname.com from my home internet, so no issue there.
From the efforts of trying to get Evol to work where it came up with the error. "Evolution connector is not compatible with Exchange 5.5", I assume our company server is running an MS exchange server version 2003 or older.

Setup of Davmail:
OWA(Exchange)URL: https://email.thecompanyname.com (is the "https://" required here or not?)
IMAP port: 1143
Local SMTP: 1025
Caldav HTTP:1080
Loal LDAP: 1389

Thuderbird Setup:
Account Type: IMAP
Server Name: email.thecompanyname.com
User Name: email.thecompanyname.com\loginname (Have also tried using just the loginname on its own, but still no luck)
Use secure connection: None (I tried all of them. Assume None should work)
Port: 143

Outgoing SMTP:
Server: email.thecompanyname.com
User: loginname
Port: 25
Security: None

SMTP in Thunderbird seems to be partly working because I can sent out emails, although when it send and then tries to copy it to the sent folder it never succeeds. I have checked and the emails do go thorough and get received at the other end. I have this same result whether Davmail is running or not. So I am assuming because I cant receive emails and the sent mail doesn't copy to the sent folder, that TB isn't talking to Davmail or Davmails isn't configured correctly

The Questions.
Is there anyway to check if Thunderbird is actually talking to Davmail?

I ran Davmail from terminal as root, but cant see anywhere on there an indication if it is talking to ether the server or TB.

Is there anyway to check if Davmail is talking to the server?

Can anyone spot any error in my TB and DM configurations?
I have tried adding /exchange and /owa at the end of https://email.thecompanyname.com but neither works so assume its not needed?

Do the port settings need to be same in DM as TH eg. TB 1143 DM 1143 or is the setting in TB at 143 correct?

When I checked on my Outlook in WindowsXP, the domain setting for Microsoft Exchange Server is different to the OWA server name. On Microsoft Exchange Server it is with the three initials of the company name eg. say our company name is "The Company Name" the server address is TCN-MAIL.thecompanyname.com

I assume this is for outgoing mails, but not sure really.

I appreciate any help from those who have managed to get it all working.
Thanks. jc

Installed on: Bootable USB Stick, 16Gb SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you enable POP3 or IMAP logging per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Session_logging_for_mail/news

Have you tried asking for help at http://sourceforge.net/projects/davmail/support ?

I found this thread in the Ubuntu forums about using Davmail with Thunderbird that it looks like you also posted in.

There is a recent blog entry about using DavMail at http://techruminations.blogspot.com/201 ... allow.html and another (much longer) at http://communities.bmc.com/communities/ ... gs/davmail. Perhaps you could post a comment there asking for help.
jcampen

Post by jcampen »

thanks for the suggestions. Yes Ill try you first suggestion an see if that works

Ive seen most of those post as well, yet the info is only quite basic. I have sent a request to sourcefrge/davmail/support , so just waiting now to hear back from them. The main point Id like to know is how to test if Davmail is communicating with Thunderbird and the server. Until this is know, seems pointless to do anything else.
cooye

Post by cooye »

jcampen, I've been trying to get this setup with davmail but I just found the setup instructions difficult and not very helpful (not to mention I don't speak french). However, I just came across this pdf today that was put together by the University of Edinburgh http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.20445 ... -tbird.pdf. It was a much more straightforward way to setup thunderbird to your exchange server as long as you have /owa access. There are a few items that I needed to change to make it work. All of which can be found while looking at your owa options and checking about. Your IMAP server name comes directly from your client access server name (ie, if that is not imap then you don't have to add imap, mine is seed.) and the suffix on your email address as shown in the pdf is that same server minus the imap (or seed, etc.)
These are the example settings I have used (not my real information):
Account name: gcole (same as my owa login username)
My Name: gcole
Email address: gcole@exch.ac.usu.edu (exch.ac.usu.edu is my Client Access Server Name without the first word)
Server Name:Seed.exch.ac.usu.edu (exactly as it comes from the Client Access Server Name)(IMAP Setting)
Port:143
User-name: gcole
No Security settings.

This worked for me to get the emails from the exchange server to Thunderbird without davmail. My only issue now it getting the smtp up and working as I cannot find exactly which address is my smtp. I hope this helps you get started.
cooye

Post by cooye »

Oh, just found out how......I'm not sure if your company allows this, but it just worked for me. I found a site saying to try and ping your exchange server, so in the command line I used: ping Seed.exch.ac.usu.edu and it showed me the IP address. I typed that IP address into my Outgoing SMTP Server Name in thunderbird and I was able to successfully send my emails.
cdtranqu

Post by cdtranqu »

You have the server name wrong in both the pop and smtp setup of thunderbird. It needs to be localhost.
cooye

Post by cooye »

Anonymous wrote:You have the server name wrong in both the pop and smtp setup of thunderbird. It needs to be localhost.
cdtranqu, was that message directed at me or the OP? For my setup I did not use davmail as my pop or smtp server and therefore did not need to use localhost as the server name. I am currently only using davmail for the calendar support and it is working just fine.
jcampen

Post by jcampen »

Ok! I have it all sorted and have Thunderbird working with Davmail and thanks to the guy at Davmail.
Hear are the settings that have it working.

Setup of Davmail:
OWA(Exchange)URL: https://email.thecompanyname.com/exchange/ (note that the URL must be appended with /exchange/ for Exchange server 2003 or older and with /owa/ for Exchange 2007)
IMAP port: 1143
Local SMTP: 1025
Caldav HTTP:1080
Loal LDAP: 1389

Thunderbird Setup:
Account Type: IMAP
Server Name: localhost ("localhost" is used if Davmail is running locally which in my case it is)
User Name: loginname (same as your mail login user name)
Use secure connection: None
Port: 1143 (note added the 1 in front to match the same in Davmail settings)

Outgoing SMTP:
Server: localhost ("localhost" is used if Davmail is running locally which in my case it is)
User: loginname (same as your mail login user name)
Port: 1025 (note added the 10 in front to match the same in Davmail settings)
Security: None

Hope this helps any others who had same trouble as me. Cheers
jcampen

Post by jcampen »

Thanks for the other tips cooye. I may try that as well.
cdtranqu. Its IMAP, not POP. I had tied it with using localhost but I didn't have the Exchnage URL in Davmail appended with /exchange/ or the ports set correctly in Thunderbird to match Davmail. I found the setup instructions Davmail are very lacking and specifically relative to what is needed for different Exchange servers.
Brian_80

Post by Brian_80 »

Thanks for the tips! This helped me a lot! I'm so sick of using OWA through the web, its a pain. I've always wanted to try Thunderbird , but since I use my work email (which is obviously on an Exchange server) more than anything else I've never really been able to.

I was stuck for awhile because I didnt notice that I was trying to use a secure connection to the local DavMail, which doesnt work.

This will be the first time I've gotten a thick-client working with Exchange other than Outlook (and my blackberry of course). So I'm psyched to be able to get my e-mail on my new Ubuntu laptop ;-p
matty77

Post by matty77 »

Hi there thanks for the post, got it to work except that it doesn't seem to sync messages between Thundirbird and OWA. For example when I delete messages on Thundirbird they are still sitting in my inbox in OWA.

Do you guys have the same situation? Any fixes available?

It's interesting that I can two way sync my Blackberry with OWA but not Thunderbird...

Thanks!
Vbemmel

Post by Vbemmel »

Help!

I've got mail mail set up exactly as jcampen above (relative to my mailserver) and davmail also and I keep getting an "invalid pasword or username" reply from davmail.

The mailserver adres is https://webmail.tsedu.nl/owa/ At least it seems to be since I do seem to get a connection, but it keeps denying acces.
My mail adres reads loginname@student.edith.nl so I type as login name just loginname, right?

These are the data from outlook webacces:

Gebruikersagent: Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 5.1; U; nl) Presto/2.2.15 Version/10.10
Outlook Web Access-ervaring: Basic
Taal van gebruiker: Nederlands (Nederland)
Tijdzone van gebruiker: (GMT+01:00) Amsterdam, Berlijn, Bern, Rome, Stockholm, Wenen
Adres van Exchange-postvak: /o=HES/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=bemilj
Outlook Web Access-hostadres: https://webmail.tsedu.nl/owa
Outlook Web Access-versie: 8.1.340.0
Outlook Web Access-hostnaam: webmail.tsedu.nl
Naam van server voor clienttoegang: Ex-HUBCAS-02.tse.local
.NET Framework-versie van de Exchange-server voor clienttoegang: 2.0.50727.3074
Besturingssysteemversie van server voor clienttoegang: Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1
Taal van besturingssysteem van server voor clienttoegang: en-US
Versie van Microsoft Exchange-server voor clienttoegang: 8.1.240.0
Taal van server voor clienttoegang: en-US
Tijdzone van server voor clienttoegang: West-Europa (standaardtijd)
Platform van Microsoft Exchange-server voor clienttoegang: 64 bits
Naam van postvakserver: clusmbx.tse.local
Microsoft Exchange-versie van postvakserver: 8.1.240.0
Andere Microsoft Exchange-serverrrollen die op dit moment zijn geïnstalleerd op de server voor clienttoegang: Hubtransport
Verificatietype voor deze Outlook Web Access-sessie: Basic
Openbare aanmelding: Nee

What could be wrong?