What is marquee display

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
R.N. Folsom

What is marquee display

Post by R.N. Folsom »

At Customizing Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html) --- recommended in SeaMonkey's userChrome-example.css and userContent-example.css files --- in the "USERCONTENT.CSS" section, there is some code for disabling a "marquee display."

I'd very much appreciate knowing what a "marquee display" is, and why one might want to disable it. (I'm hoping it is the enormous headings at the top of many web pages, and that this code would shrink those down. The NoSquint extension has improved that situation enormously, but in the absence of some way to actually shrink a web page's introductory graphics and text without affecting the main text, I'm looking for additional tools.)

I'd also like to know what this code, especially the "height: auto !important", actually does. (My understanding is that the !important overrides the website's and SeaMonkey's default settings.)

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or help.

Roger Folsom

Code: Select all

/* Disable marquee display */
marquee {
  -moz-binding: none; display: block; height: auto !important;
  /* This is better than just display:none !important;
   * because you can still see the text in the marquee,
   * but without scrolling.
   */
}
turu

Re: What is marquee display

Post by turu »

Long long time ago in the dawn of the internet, there was some idiot who thought scrolling text is very cool option and worth to make html tag for it. some examples are here;
http://www.hypergurl.com/marquee.html
http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/_MARQUEE.html

and option on the Customizing Mozilla is for disabling this non-sense joke from 90s.
Pim

Post by Pim »

I personally think marquee is not nearly as bad as blink.
Groetjes, Pim
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Pim wrote:I personally think marquee is not nearly as bad as blink.

<marquee> was from Microsoft; <blink> was Netscape. This was from a time at the dawn of the browser wars where companies competed to see who could come up with the most stupid features.
Pim

Post by Pim »

And wouldn't it be nice if the browser had a setting for marquee.disable, like it does for blink.
Groetjes, Pim
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

How cool that is! I get nostalgic when I look at the simplicity of implementation not requiring any javascript or flash, it's pure genius! =D> =D> =D> And on top of that it works in all major modern browsers: gecko, safari, opera and IE :shock:
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

Thanks to all for responding to my question, and for providing links that demonstrate what a marquee scrolling display is. I never would have guessed.

And the opinions were interesting, also.

I gather that neither marquee scrolling nor blink are parts of a modern SeaMonkey, either 1.1.18 or 2.0.2. So I don't need to insert code into my profile's userChrome.css file.

Roger Folsom
turu

Post by turu »

R.N. Folsom wrote:I gather that neither marquee scrolling nor blink are parts of a modern SeaMonkey, either 1.1.18 or 2.0.2. So I don't need to insert code into my profile's userChrome.css file.

SM is compatible with those code, and this is the reason why you can see demonstration on the linked pages.
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

Turu:

Thanks for that clarification. Apparently I won't need to add anti-marquee scrolling code or anti-blink code into my profile chrome folder unless I start visiting websites that use that code, which isn't likely given that I'd never seen it before until raising the issue here and visiting the demonstrating links!

And thanks to this thread, if I do run into a website with blink or marquee scrolling, I won't panic and immediately run an anti-virus or anti-malware in depth analysis scan!

Roger Folsom
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

Pim wrote:And wouldn't it be nice if the browser had a setting for marquee.disable, like it does for blink.

Pim: I should have asked earlier, but in case I want it sometime in the future, where in SeaMonkey 2.x is the setting to disable blink?

Is it possible that the setting you have in mind is at Edit, Preferences, Privacy & Security, Images, Animated images should loop, Once?

I searched the SM2 help for blink, but got no hits.

Roger Folsom
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Roger,

R.N. Folsom wrote:I should have asked earlier, but in case I want it sometime in the future, where in SeaMonkey 2.x is the setting to disable blink?

Type: about:config in the address bar. Then type blink in the Filter bar. Right-click on the preference 'browser.blink_allowed' and select 'Toggle'. This should turn off blinking!

Is it possible that the setting you have in mind is at Edit, Preferences, Privacy & Security, Images, Animated images should loop, Once?

Do you mean a setting for blink? If so, that won't have any effect, because blinking text is not an animated gif image!

Regards,

Dave.
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

Dave:

I learn very useful stuff from you all the time. Thanks.

I do understand that text and images are different <grin>, but that animated images setting was the only thing I could find that came close. I didn't know, however, that only gif (vice, say, jpg) images were the only image types that could be animated.

I have just now made my first use of the SeaMonkey 2.0.2 about:config (which already has been, for many years, on my Personal Toolbar). No blinks for me!

I'm wondering whether there's anything in about:config (which, despite its presence on my Personal Toolbar, I've been ignoring due to being swamped by learning other things about 2.0.2) would deal with SeaMonkey's excessive response to a Win2k system default setting of 144dpi (150% of the standard 96dpi). "SeaMonkey 2.0.2 Composer is MUCH too large" (viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1736315). Actually, on my laptop all of SeaMonkey 2.0.2 is much too large; I'd have given it up and gone back to SM 1.1.18 long ago were it not for the NoSquint extension.

Roger Folsom
amrad

Post by amrad »

R.N. Folsom wrote:I learn very useful stuff from you all the time. Thanks.

You're welcome.

I'm wondering whether there's anything in about:config would deal with SeaMonkey's excessive response to a Win2k system default setting of 144dpi (150% of the standard 96dpi).

I couldn't find anything in about:config that would be of any help for that problem, so, no, I don't think so.

Regards,

Dave.
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

amrad wrote:
R.N. Folsom wrote: . . . I'm wondering whether there's anything in about:config would deal with SeaMonkey's excessive response to a Win2k system default setting of 144dpi (150% of the standard 96dpi).

I couldn't find anything in about:config that would be of any help for that problem, so, no, I don't think so.

Dave: Fortunately, the fix has been discovered, by Pim and Andy Boze.

The Fix begins in "SeaMonkey 2.0.2 Composer is MUCH too large," with my response to a message from Pim (I quoted him) at viewtopic.php?p=8653555#p8653555 That's a long message, and you may want to skip it.

The actual solution to my Composer problem is in the thread's remaining four messages: one from Pim, one from Andy Boze, and then two from me (the first replying to Pim and the second replying to Andy Boze).

The problem turned out to be font size settings: Composer froze because SeaMonkey 2.0.2's (and I'd guess also 2.0's) fonts were too big for Composer --- and also other things such as Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings > [incoming mail] Server dialog box, and Download Progress dialogs --- to handle, IF Windows system font settings are set as large as 144dpi (150% of the standard 96dpi; for the reason I did that and will continue with that setting, see "SeaMonkey 2.0.2 Composer is MUCH too large" initial post, paragraph #3).

Apparently SM2 uses a different User Interface font than SM1 uses, and the SM2 font was just enough larger than the SM1 font to cause problems, given my Windows system font settings.

Roger Folsom
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Roger,

R.N. Folsom wrote:Dave: Fortunately, the fix has been discovered, by Pim and Andy Boze.

Yes, I have been following the topic so I was aware of that, I'm pleased you finally got it sorted!

Regards,

Dave.