Folding@Home

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Spewey
Folder@Home

Post by Spewey »

Ok, I came back.
RAF

Post by RAF »

Cool. Let's all stay at vfwlkr's team.
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

vfwlkr wrote:
johann_p wrote:I agree - why don't we - a large Firefox team that really accomplishes something would be nice.
We're all accomplishing something in either team. Getting one in the top 500 wouldnt necessarily mean more downloads.. what's the harm in being competitive amongst ourselves?

What's the point though? Why compete if we can cooperate? By your argument we could also each one form a team for themselves.

I would prefer a "Mozilla" instead of a "Firefox" team that unites the efforts of all fans of Mozilla Suite, FF, TB, and other Mozilla-related projects, but the Firefox team looks like the second best idea and first best real team right now.

EDIT: just learned from this thread that there is a "mozilla" team too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
VRWCAgent

Post by VRWCAgent »

Well happy day. While it was uploading the data, it exited with an error. Unfortunately, the entire log was wiped and there is nothing remaining in the work subfolder about the first work unit. I've updated to the latest beta client, so hopefully it won't happen again, but it's rather frustrating.

This current work unit is much smaller. 400 frames as opposed to 2500.

EDIT: Eh, nevermind. I just checked the team stats and it looks like the upload succeeded before the crash.
Bye. Love to all. :)
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

johann_p wrote:What's the point though? Why compete if we can cooperate? By your argument we could also each one form a team for themselves.

If you look at Team Stats, most of the top 100 teams are about the website, rather than product(s). Hey, the 'team for themselves' already exists! We're all competing within the team!

Since I frequent MZ more than SFX, team mozillazine it is for me :)

That said, if there is a way to create an aggregator team including all 3 teams, I'm all for it.
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
theflinger

Post by theflinger »

I will investigate the possibililty of a joint team....

If not we need to work out to all leave our teams for one...and just accept the losses
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

theflinger wrote:I will investigate the possibililty of a joint team....

If not we need to work out to all leave our teams for one...and just accept the losses

There are no losses :) All workunits completed are actual workunits helping protien folding.

Not sure I'd switch teams, though. ;-)
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
theflinger

Post by theflinger »

well of course in the end there are no losses.

But wouldn't you want to switch teams if it, in the end, made the Mozilla team, the Firefox team, the whatever it ends up being team, in the top 100? Where it would be seen by so many?
remline

Post by remline »

I am currently folding for a non-Mozilla team, but I would join if we can get united. I don't want to see a split between sfx and mz. Mozillazine to me is more encompassing and therefore preferential.
MeCasa
Folder@Home

Post by MeCasa »

Yay, I eventually have to go to Houston to get some HD's and burgandy mini blinds....Haha.... I'll pick up a cheap MoB and help. It's only one computer but.........
Sex is dirty only if it's done right .... Live and Let Live .... Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
...................................................... MeCasaEsSuCasa ................................................
RAF

Post by RAF »

VRWCAgent has folded a Work Unit! The MozillaZine Team will beat you all...
MeCasa
Folder@Home

Post by MeCasa »

Let's join together and go after Google, we can't catch them but we can shoot for top 10, it will be fun and it will help.
Sex is dirty only if it's done right .... Live and Let Live .... Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
...................................................... MeCasaEsSuCasa ................................................
MeCasa
Folder@Home

Post by MeCasa »

When I'm at friend's houses I'll talk fast and mumble about helping, set the shit for automatic and my friends go to heaven
Jack

Post by Jack »

Just FYI, a computer programmer for Ohio Department of Job and Family Services was fired for loading SETI@Home on a work server.

Plain Dealer wrote:Smith did not return a phone call seeking comment, but a disciplinary report says he told administrators that he didn't think loading the SETI software on the server was "that big a deal" because he ran the program only on weekends and on weekdays between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m., when the server wasn't being used.
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

Since a merger of the different Mozilla-related teams is not going to happen, I have decided to go back to the Mozillazine team. Kind of feel most at home there ... :)
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”