Mozilla 1.2 major screw-up?

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
Adwin

Mozilla 1.2 major screw-up?

Post by Adwin »

Hi,

I just installed Mozilla 1.2 on various platforms (Mac OSX, OS9, Win), and it seems to me that it handles javascript from inline files totally incorrect. I have a number of sites where javascript files are used to generate the menus in webpages, through document.write("bla") commands. This works correctly in any build of Mozilla (including 1.3a) and in other web browsers, except in Mozilla 1.2!

Any ideas?

--
Adwin
Adwin

Analysis of the problem

Post by Adwin »

I analyzed what goes wrong. I first do a

document.write("<div id='bla'>bla</div>");

and subsequently

document.getElementById('bla');

Some of the divs are "recognised", some aren't (all show up in the DOM Inspector)...

Seems to be a major flaw in a major release?

--
Adwin
element

Post by element »

Yeah, it seems they screwed up somewhere, everything is fine in Phoenix 0.4 and previous Mozilla builds, but in 1.2 the menus don't work anymore.
Adwin

Workaround

Post by Adwin »

It turns out that the first <div> that is written by document.write is screwed. So I just put a

document.write("<div class=navigation>x</div>");

in front of everything (this is a div which, in my case, isn't shown), and then it works just fine. Notice that you have to put a character to be shown in there, so

document.write("<div class=navigation>&nbsp;</div>");

does NOT work!

--
Adwin
SChildren

Bigger problem

Post by SChildren »

Could be wrong, but I bet this is the same bug as discussed in the Mozilla Bugs forum. See Bug 181729. It is also seen with iframes. A common problem might be disappearing advertising images.

The bug is fixed (or never existed) on the trunk. It was marked WONTFIX because of this, and as there were more important things to get done for 1.2. I've got some more comments on this issue, but as this is 1.2 only they're off-topic for here so I've posted to the thread above.
jgraham

Post by jgraham »

This is almost certainly bug 182500. It affects 1.2 final only (and may yet be fixed).

(edited to correct typo)
Last edited by jgraham on November 29th, 2002, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xah

need 1.2.1

Post by xah »

Probably need a new milestone, 1.2.1. Otherwise people will download 1.2 and keep reporting the same old bugs.
jgraham

Re: need 1.2.1

Post by jgraham »

xah wrote:Probably need a new milestone, 1.2.1. Otherwise people will download 1.2 and keep reporting the same old bugs.

Moreover, for most users (i.e. all of those who use the point releases and don't trust nightlies) mozilla will be broken in a highly visible way- this seems to affect a *lot* of sites. Users who work out what the problem is will maybe decide to downgrade for a while to 1.2b or 1.1, or maybe ri8sk a nightly build. New users who are just trying Mozilla will decide that it's a piece of junk that doesn't work (quite a fair conclusion in the circumstances) and will switch back to whichever browser they came from immeditley.
I would say that 1.2.1 is needed very soon and users must somehow be alerted of the need to upgrade. I remember there used to be a 'check for updates' feature (but I can't find ikt now). Does that work anymore, and could it be used in this case? It would also be good if the 'update' could be an xpi rather than a full download, but I fear that would be impossible.
PepeJeria

Post by PepeJeria »

Not only this but also apperently some bugsfixes suppose to be in Mozilla 1.2 never made it:
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=182506
BartVB

Post by BartVB »

Seems to be related:

On the Mozilla.org frontpage:

http://www.mozilla.org/
Stop The Presses
We've discovered a bug in Mozilla 1.2 that can cause DHTML on some sites to fail. We plan to release Mozilla 1.2.1 with a fix shortly.