seamonkey- create link to open in new tab

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
DrMark920

seamonkey- create link to open in new tab

Post by DrMark920 »

I am new to Seamonkey. I am trying to create a link which opens a new tab instead of forwards to the page. Can this be done in Seamonkey, and if so how? Thanks so much for the help
DrMark920
patrickjdempsey

Re: seamonkey- create link to open in new tab

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Post by Guest »

Yes, I am linking to an external website. I am able to do the link in Seamonkey just creating a link and filling in the URL. This works. However, instead of opening the page into a new tab, it loads the page over the current one. In this case I want it to open into a new tab since it is an external site (my blog on another url).
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

DrMark:

I don't know what you mean (in your initial post) by "instead of forwards to the page." and so it's likely that I'm totally misunderstanding the point of your question. ("Totally misunderstanding" is one of my major talents.)

Nevertheless, I'll point out what I do: I hold the Ctrl key down, and tap the letter T. Ctrl+T then opens a new tab, called "Untitled" until I put something in it.

Now if I am in SeaMonkey on a web page that has a link, and I want to read that link without losing the web page that I am already on, I RIGHT-click the link and get a context menu that includes the option to Open Link in New Tab. Without bothering with the Ctrl+T that I mentioned in my preceding paragraph here, I simply click on Open Link in New Tab, and SeaMonkey automatically creates a new tab and puts the link's contents into that new tab.

If I am in SeaMonkey mail, and I get a message that contains a link, if SeaMonkey browser isn't already open I just click the link, and the browser opens and displays the contents of the link. But if SeaMonkey browser IS already open and I simply click the link, SeaMonkey opens again. I find two SeaMonkey browser windows open at the same time to be inefficient (although there's absolutely nothing wrong with having several SM browsers running simultaneously; my wife does it all the time), so instead, in the email that contains the link, I right-click the link and it opens a new tab in the already-open SeaMonkey browser.

Another example which works the same way: If in SeaMonkey browser I'm reading your post and want to quote you without losing the tab that displays the entire thread, I go to the Quote icon at the top of your post and right-click it (instead of left-clicking it). That opens up a new tab, with your message quoted in plain text. If I don't need to quote your entire message, I edit out whatever is irrelevant to what my own message is going to say (being an academician, of course I use ellipses to show where I've omitted part of your message that I have quoted, and I use square brackets [] to enclose any smart-aleck remarks I want to insert into your message rather than wait and put them in my own message).
After the [/quote] code that ends my quotation of your message, I then write my own message to you. When I'm done with that, I scroll down and select the Preview button so I can check my message as it will appear on MozillaZine. After checking (and making any corrections that may be needed), I again scroll down and select submit.

Full disclosure: I didn't do that this time. I simply added these remarks in the bottom of the thread.

I hope something here is of use, if not to you than to somebody else!

Everything above works for SeaMonkey 2.x, and also for SeaMonkey 1.x (unless for SM1.x I have overlooked some detail, since I've been using SeaMonkey 2.0.2 for more than three weeks and my memory of SM1 is imperfect).

Welcome to SeaMonkey, and best wishes.

Roger Folsom
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Did you read the page I linked? It's not very long. The target tag determines where a link opens.

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_a_target.asp

Notice that _new opens different links into the same new window, while _blank always opens a whole new window (or tab depending on how you have the browser setup).
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Post by Guest »

Hi Patrick and RN:
I was able to get it to work adding the code you suggested into the html source window of composer. Thank you for the help. If you do know of a shortcut in the composer "normal" mode (wysiwyg) that would be helpful. Perhaps this could be a programming addition to the image properties window.
Thanks again for your assistance. I don't take it for granted and want you to know it is greatly appreciated.
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

Guest wrote:Hi Patrick and RN:
I was able to get it to work adding the code you suggested into the html source window of composer. Thank you for the help. If you do know of a shortcut in the composer "normal" mode (wysiwyg) that would be helpful. Perhaps this could be a programming addition to the image properties window.
Thanks again for your assistance. I don't take it for granted and want you to know it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the thanks. But Patrick had an unfair advantage in providing useful help, given that he understood what you were trying to do! I didn't get it at all, until reading his later post.

I have NOT yet tried using it, but Kompozer (http://kompozer.net/) --- which I have installed because I thought I would never get Composer to work on my computer; see my "SeaMonkey 2.0.2 Composer is MUCH too large" posts at viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1736315 and at viewtopic.php?p=8653555#p8653555 and then the next four messages --- may have advantages for you.

Roger Folsom
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

DrMark920, please don't do this. Let your users decide whether they want to open the link in the current tab/window, a new window, or a new tab.
R.N. Folsom wrote:If I am in SeaMonkey mail, and I get a message that contains a link, if SeaMonkey browser isn't already open I just click the link, and the browser opens and displays the contents of the link. But if SeaMonkey browser IS already open and I simply click the link, SeaMonkey opens again. I find two SeaMonkey browser windows open at the same time to be inefficient (although there's absolutely nothing wrong with having several SM browsers running simultaneously; my wife does it all the time), so instead, in the email that contains the link, I right-click the link and it opens a new tab in the already-open SeaMonkey browser.

The link open behaviour of mailnews depends on the link open behaviour for external applications. You can find the settings under Browser > Tabbed Browsing in your Preferences.
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

BenoitRen wrote:DrMark920, please don't do this. Let your users decide whether they want to open the link in the current tab/window, a new window, or a new tab.
R.N. Folsom wrote:If I am in SeaMonkey mail, and I get a message that contains a link, if SeaMonkey browser isn't already open I just click the link, and the browser opens and displays the contents of the link. But if SeaMonkey browser IS already open and I simply click the link, SeaMonkey opens again. I find two SeaMonkey browser windows open at the same time to be inefficient (although there's absolutely nothing wrong with having several SM browsers running simultaneously; my wife does it all the time), so instead, in the email that contains the link, I right-click the link and it opens a new tab in the already-open SeaMonkey browser.

The link open behaviour of mailnews depends on the link open behaviour for external applications. You can find the settings under Browser > Tabbed Browsing in your Preferences.

I know your message is for DrMark920, but I'd like to confirm the following:
In SeaMonkey 2.0.2, the preference you are talking about is at
Edit, Preferences, Browser, Tabbed Browsing (Lower right corner section), Links from other [i.e. external] applications, Open links passed from other applications in [any one of the following choices:],
The current tab window
A new tab in the current window
A new window.

My own choice there, when I wrote my post that you quoted, was "A new window." But I bypassed that by right-clicking the link when I'm in email.

I have now switched the setting to "A new tab in the current window," and the left-clicking the same SeaMonkey email link now opens a new tab in the current browser window. I hadn't realized that these settings applied not only to truly external applications (e.g. WordPerfect, perhaps MS Office 2003 viewers, Thornsoft's Clipmate, and Zabkat's Editor²) but also to SM2 email.

No need to respond to any of this. I simply thought that these ramblings might be of use to others.

Roger Folsom
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

Part of my message was directed at you, R.N. Folsom. That's why I quoted you. :)

By the way, the link open behaviour for external applications has only started affecting mailnews starting with SeaMonkey 1.1. I wonder if ChatZilla is using that preference setting now to decide what to do when you click a link in it.
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

BenoitRen wrote:Part of my message was directed at you, R.N. Folsom. That's why I quoted you. :)

Well, it persuaded me to look more closely at the Tabbed Browsing settings. Whether you had some other goal I know not. <grin>

By the way, the link open behaviour for external applications has only started affecting mailnews starting with SeaMonkey 1.1. I wonder if ChatZilla is using that preference setting now to decide what to do when you click a link in it.

I haven't ever used Chatzilla (or any other Instant Messaging program), so I wouldn't know about that. But off the top of my head, it would make sense to be able to keep Chatzilla open while you look at a link in another tab. But that setting may need further detailed choices: People may want one behavior for SM email, another for Chatzilla, another for being within the browser, and another for truly external applications such as WordPerfect or Word or Clipmate.

A more serious example is people (e.g. me) wanting one behavior for blocking "images and remote content" when in the browser, but another behavior for blocking "images and remote content" from email. And yet the blocking in Edit, Preferences, Privacy, Image blocking affects not only the browser but also email.

I'm still working at a very elementary level. I had SeaMonkey mail open to reply to notifications that someone had posted something I should see, and the browser was already open, so when my response was posted I tried Ctrl+Q to leave the browser and discovered that it closes both the browser and email. So there is a difference between Ctrl+w and Ctrl+Q, which I hadn't realized.

As I leave this I'll see if Alt+F4 closes both browser and email.

Roger Folsom
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

ChatZilla is not an Instant Message client, but an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) client. It connects to IRC networks where you can talk to people in channels dedicated to one or more topics. :)
Pim

Post by Pim »

Guest wrote:If you do know of a shortcut in the composer "normal" mode (wysiwyg) that would be helpful. Perhaps this could be a programming addition to the image properties window.

It's a property of the link actually, not a property of the image you use in the link.
Link Properties -> Advanced Edit -> Attribute (and then choose target)
Groetjes, Pim
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

BenoitRen wrote:ChatZilla is not an Instant Message client, but an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) client. It connects to IRC networks where you can talk to people in channels dedicated to one or more topics. :)

I didn't realize they were different. Thanks for straightening me out.

Roger Folsom
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

R.N. Folsom wrote:
BenoitRen wrote:ChatZilla is not an Instant Message client, but an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) client. It connects to IRC networks where you can talk to people in channels dedicated to one or more topics. :)

I didn't realize they were different. Thanks for straightening me out.

Chatzilla was originally intended to be an integrated IM client that would do all the Instant Messaging protocols. However only the IRC part was ever implemented.

Phil